White Sox at Royals 7.15 game thread 1:10 first pitch

1 minute ago, Heads22 said:

Tempting to consider pulling him now and sending him into the break on a real high note

Yeah, the Pen isn't needed until Friday anyway. I'd send Gio out there though and if anyone gets on base pull him immediately. 

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

I think you got to give him one more, but maybe pull him at the first sign of trouble.

If you don't pull him you start with someone warm in the pen either way. One guy reaches and I pull him.

Just now, Jose Abreu said:

Man he has looked good from the right side the past few weeks.

Obviously I don’t want to get too excited here, but today is a great example of how development isn’t linear.  These aren’t just good games, Yoan & Giolito actually look significantly better.  I’m sure playing the Royals helps to some extent, but with young players it can all just suddenly click.  Hopefully we’re seeing the beginning of consistent above average play from both of them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

With our pen, no.  I don't think it would feel great for Gio to watch the pen blow a big lead after being pulled early

He is pretty much at the point in pitch count in each game where he starts to lose it; I hope he doesn't.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Obviously I don’t want to get too excited here, but today is a great example of how development isn’t linear.  These aren’t just good games, Yoan & Giolito actually look significantly better.  I’m sure playing the Royals helps to some extent, but with young players it can all just suddenly click.  Hopefully we’re seeing the beginning of consistent above average play from both of them.

THIS is why you continue to play kids especially when they fail.

Interesting looking at the OPS column in the live boxscore:

Moncada – .735

Sanchez – .708

Abreu – .754

Palka – .751

Garcia – .732

Davidson – .771

Anderson – .719

Smith – .682

Engel – .579

Surprisingly little variance up and down the lineup. Engel is by far the worst in the 9 spot of course. Put Narvaez in at catcher and you have yet another guy in the .700s.