White Sox at Royals 7.15 game thread 1:10 first pitch

Just now, Heads22 said:

He is pretty much at the point in pitch count in each game where he starts to lose it; I hope he doesn't.

The only way to run the marathon is to run lots of miles.  If he wants to be able to go 120 pitches in the future, he has got to practice doing it, even if it means he fails sometimes.  Better to learn it now with no pressure.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

The only way to run the marathon is to run lots of miles.  If he wants to be able to go 120 pitches in the future, he has got to practice doing it, even if it means he fails sometimes.  Better to learn it now with no pressure.

You got to give him a chance to get through six.  If he lets two base-runners on, then go ahead and pull him.  But this is a great opportunity for Ricky to show some faith in his young starter.

No, I agree with you, which is why I send him back out but with someone warm. But I'd rather see him get out of here with 5 IP or 5.1 IP with 0 or 1 run than 6 IP with 3 runs. He's had a fair number of runs let up this year because we left him out after it was clear he was losing it.

The catching duo has actually been giving us a pretty decent offensive production since about the time that Castillo went down.  It would be nice to get more out of the defense and pitch calling, but this is a nice start.

I wonder who goes down when Castillo is back. Even Zavala may be ready soon. IMO you gotta stick with Narvaez

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

You got to give him a chance to get through six.  If he lets two base-runners on, then go ahead and pull him.  But this is a great opportunity for Ricky to show some faith in his young starter.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I agree but do they let anyone go to 120 anymore? Seems like most of the time it's at 100 to 110 max.

Just now, ptatc said:

I agree but do they let anyone go to 120 anymore? Seems like most of the time it's at 100 to 110 max.

The Sox would occasionally with Sale or Quintana in recent years.  I don't think Cooper is afraid of that number as much as the rest of baseball.  It isn't often, but he will do it.

Just now, Heads22 said:

Castillo would be due back around August 20 or so.

Any idea of you can send someone out for rehab starts after being out for that long?  That would be perfect.  Give him a week and a half, and then call him back on Sept 1.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Any idea of you can send someone out for rehab starts after being out for that long?  That would be perfect.  Give him a week and a half, and then call him back on Sept 1.

I *think* I read something along those lines.

Just now, Jose Abreu said:

I wonder who goes down when Castillo is back. Even Zavala may be ready soon. IMO you gotta stick with Narvaez

The way I see it is that Narvaez still has some serious issues receiving the ball that weren't present last year and I just don't know why. I don't mean pitch framing per se (neither catcher is very good there) but just keeping low pitches in front of him and hanging onto borderline wild pitches. Neither Omar nor Kevan throws well so that won't help decisionmaking. That being said, I do think there's enough daylight between Omar and Kevan at the plate that I'd prefer Omar. The platoon issue with Castillo helps Omar's case as does Omar's age, which might give some more hope for projection.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jake said:

Interesting looking at the OPS column in the live boxscore:

Moncada – .735

Sanchez – .708

Abreu – .754

Palka – .751

Garcia – .732

Davidson – .771

Anderson – .719

Smith – .682

Engel – .579

Surprisingly little variance up and down the lineup. Engel is by far the worst in the 9 spot of course. Put Narvaez in at catcher and you have yet another guy in the .700s.

702 OPS good for 24/30. 750 would be quality enough.