ASB 2018...how many from current roster make it to 2021?

caulfield12

Anderson

Moncada

Rodon

Lopez

Giolito (50/50)

Maybe 5?   Of the remaining players, you’re left with Narvaez, Palka/Davidson and Yolmer/Leury, probably at least 1-2 from that list...finally, Fry and Avi, I’d put the odds at roughly 10-15%.

Edited by caulfield12

10 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Anderson

Moncada

Rodon

Lopez

Giolito (50/50)

Maybe 5?   Of the remaining players, you’re left with Narvaez, Palka/Davidson and Yolmer/Leury, probably at least 1-2 from that list...finally, Fry and Avi, I’d put the odds at roughly 10-15%.

The only player on that list I could say will absolutely be here in 2021 is Moncada. Anderson, Lopez and Giolito might be moved to fill other needs or for non-performance. Rodon, if he stays healthy, will be moved next summer. Anderson is the next most likely to stick, If Madrigal sticks at SS, that becomes iffy though. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

8 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I'll go

Almost definitely here (>90% chance):

Moncada

Anderson

Lopez

Fry

Likely here (50-89 % chance):

Giolito

Probably not here, but still possible (25-49% chance):

Palka

L. Garcia

Sanchez

Abreu

Rodon

I pretty much see it this way, although Fry I might move down to the middle group because ABTR.  The one guy you are missing is Covey.  While he probably won’t make it as a starter, he seems like he has a chance of being a solid reliever.

I guess Covey has as good an opportunity as anyone to make it out of the pen...you can list him and Fulmer as 1 and 1A from the “experienced youth” list.   

With Leury vs. Yolmer, it comes down to money and what Yolmer is potentially worth to another team (see Saladino playing a significant role in Mil).  It always comes down to his not being quite enough of a slugger to hold down a corner, and his defense for whatever reason has regressed (might be the team-wide malaise.)

With Avi and Jose, 12 teams out of the race already make it impossible to get a good/fair return this trade deadline.

And Madrigal definitely ends up at 2B, pushing Moncada over to 3rd or the outfield.

Edited by caulfield12

8 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

I guess Covey has as good an opportunity as anyone to make it out of the pen...you can list him and Fulmer as 1 and 1A from the “experienced youth” list.   

With Leury vs. Yolmer, it comes down to money and what Yolmer is potentially worth to another team (see Saladino playing a significant role in Mil).  It always comes down to his not being quite enough of a slugger to hold down a corner, and his defense for whatever reason has regressed (might be the team-wide malaise.)

With Avi and Jose, 12 teams out of the race already make it impossible to get a good/fair return this trade deadline.

And Madrigal definitely ends up at 2B, pushing Moncada over to 3rd or the outfield.

Moncada had struggles playing 3B w Boston. I think he would have to move to outfield. 

19 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

Moncada had struggles playing 3B w Boston. I think he would have to move to outfield. 

That could have something to do with the fact that, prior to being called up and put at 3b in the big leagues, he had played a total of 6 games at 3b. In the Arizona Fall League. Not even played there in Cuba. 

That's really a tough question since so much depends of if the "can't miss kids" actually do make it and produce at the big league level.

These would be my guess:

Rodon (if he isn't traded in a year and a half because of his agent)

Lopez

Giolito

Fry

Anderson

Moncada

Davidson (maybe... if Burger can no longer play third and the Sox can't sign a free agent for that spot)

4 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I pretty much see it this way, although Fry I might move down to the middle group because ABTR.  The one guy you are missing is Covey.  While he probably won’t make it as a starter, he seems like he has a chance of being a solid reliever.

I considered Covey for that last tier but honestly don't believe in his long term ability as a reliever. Even if he's decent with that hard sinker out of the pen, we have so many quality RHP reliever prospects, plus tons of cash, so I think we'll end up being able to replace him easily.

I would generally agree re: Fry but he's under control through the 2023 season, doesn't allow home runs, throws 5 pitches effectively, is left-handed, and has a high strikeout rate. I think we struck gold there, if he can stay healthy. 

11 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

That could have something to do with the fact that, prior to being called up and put at 3b in the big leagues, he had played a total of 6 games at 3b. In the Arizona Fall League. Not even played there in Cuba. 

Agreed and I think he is a 2nd baseman talent wise.  But Moncada was actually switched from 2B to 3rd in AA. He played 10 games at 3B in AA prior to his promotion since Pedroia was at 2nd. Not sure switching him back there would be positive.