All Star Break Boredom thread

Jack Parkman

When Delmonico is ready to come back to the bigs, do you send Tilson down to get some more regular at-bats, or does LaMarre bite the bullet? I don't think Palka is going anywhere...he gets some pretty regular at-bats platooning with Davidson at DH and I think his power potential is too valuable at this point...not like it really matters this season.

33 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

I’m in DC for the festivities. Hoping Abreu goes 2-2 with a few RBI and wins the MVP.

I thought a good thread would be who is going to lead the Sox in HR's poll. Palka(12), Anderson(13) , Abreu(13), Moncada(12), Davidson (14) or Avi Garcia( (9),  ( not as many as the others but HR rate is better since he's been injured so much. I just have had no luck creating polls . Maybe it's easier now with the new board. So if anyone wants to do it feel free.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bazox said:

I haven't got a clue what is going on :unsure:

The All Star game is when the best players from the National League and the same from the American League play each other for 1 game. This year it is being played in Washington, DC.. There are festivities  such as the Futures Game which was Sunday, The HR Derby  and Celebrity Softball game.. It's a 4 day break in the schedule of all teams. I'd use google for anything else. The All Star game has an amazing history.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Dam8610 said:

February is worse if you don't like Basketball or Hockey.

Yea we had this discussion on another sports forum I post on: it's def February and July for the two worst months.  It's pretty much a tie I think and none of the other 10 months can come close.

A more interesting topic is what sports month is the best?  I am partial to March I think.  I can see an argument for October.  I fold early April (Masters) and start of MLB season into March in my rankings.  That said, I think that from March 1st to say April 10th is the best 40 day stretch, slightly surpassing the 40 day stretch from mid Sep to late Oct when CFB, NFL, and MLB are all going.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

17 hours ago, LittleHurt05 said:

It's not just baseball fans, it's all sports.  This 4-day stretch right now is the worst time of the entire calendar year.

Especially Wednesday and Thursday. I went out for a couple beers last night for the derby and that was a good time and plan on going out tonight for the game.

8 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Yea we had this discussion on another sports forum I post on: it's def February and July for the two worst months.  It's pretty much a tie I think and none of the other 10 months can come close.

A more interesting topic is what sports month is the best?  I am partial to March I think.  I can see an argument for October.  I fold early April (Masters) and start of MLB season into March in my rankings.  That said, I think that from March 1st to say April 10th is the best 40 day stretch, slightly surpassing the 40 day stretch from mid Sep to late Oct when CFB, NFL, and MLB are all going.

My personal favorite time of year is the short period of time where the high school basketball tourney kicks off the first week or March in Indiana, then the college BB tourney gets going, while the NHL/NBA are in their playoff pushes and spring training baseball starts appearing on TV.  That month to five weeks period that ends with the NCAA final four the first weekend in April is heaven for me.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

My personal favorite time of year is the short period of time where the high school basketball tourney kicks off the first week or March in Indiana, then the college BB tourney gets going, while the NHL/NBA are in their playoff pushes and spring training baseball starts appearing on TV.  That month to five weeks period that ends with the NCAA final four the first weekend in April is heaven for me.

My fav time is fall for sports..

September/october - mlb still going strong, nfl and ncaa football firing up

November  nfl/ncaa-football and both basketball leagues going.

On 7/16/2018 at 11:02 AM, Scoots said:

When Delmonico is ready to come back to the bigs, do you send Tilson down to get some more regular at-bats, or does LaMarre bite the bullet? I don't think Palka is going anywhere...he gets some pretty regular at-bats platooning with Davidson at DH and I think his power potential is too valuable at this point...not like it really matters this season.

I think Engel might get the boot down to the minors...although not sure about options left.

59 minutes ago, CanOfCorn said:

I think Engel might get the boot down to the minors...although not sure about options left.

Engel seems to have lost his spot to Tilson over the last week or so.  I would almost rather see Palka go back so that he could play every day instead of filling in occasionally.

On 7/17/2018 at 7:51 AM, southsider2k5 said:

You're a ND fan right?  One of us is having a bad October this year.  

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

You're a ND fan right?  One of us is having a bad October this year.  

Nope, the opposite.  I went to a small college and ever really had a horse in the whole Purdue/IU/ND crowd, but I mostly root for teams that I know kids from the area who are playing for the respective schools.  ND is on my can't stand list.

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Nope, the opposite.  I went to a small college and ever really had a horse in the whole Purdue/IU/ND crowd, but I mostly root for teams that I know kids from the area who are playing for the respective schools.  ND is on my can't stand list.

Ah right on.  I didn't end up going to UM (went to a school I could play baseball at that had similar academics) but UM FB has been in my blood since I was about 7 years old and watched Kordell throw that bomb.  I still remember the exact moment it happened and my dad trying to console me.  overall tho with the title, the Fab 5 and Woodson it was a pretty great time to be a UM fan.  

Us older millenials have been paying down that debt since Rich Rod however.  Ugh.  Thank god for Beilein.

4 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Ah right on.  I didn't end up going to UM (went to a school I could play baseball at that had similar academics) but UM FB has been in my blood since I was about 7 years old and watched Kordell throw that bomb.  I still remember the exact moment it happened and my dad trying to console me.  overall tho with the title, the Fab 5 and Woodson it was a pretty great time to be a UM fan.  

Us older millenials have been paying down that debt since Rich Rod however.  Ugh.  Thank god for Beilein.

A few years back I was pulling hard for UM when they had Mitch McGary, GR3, and Spike Albrecht up there.  They are all kids who played in the conference where my HS is in, and are all great kids.  Was also a big fan of the Fab 5 team, and the Glenn Rice team.

I definitely pull for them when they play ND in FB.

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

A few years back I was pulling hard for UM when they had Mitch McGary, GR3, and Spike Albrecht up there.  They are all kids who played in the conference where my HS is in, and are all great kids.  Was also a big fan of the Fab 5 team, and the Glenn Rice team.

I definitely pull for them when they play ND in FB.

Yea the are all really great guys off the court.  Spike is a UM legend for his performance against Louisville in the title game.  It's too bad Beilein stuck with him too long in the 2nd half.  Hopefully GRIII can stay healthy I think he can be a solid 7th 8th man if he can.  He's an exciting player.  Hope his best NBA moment isn't just that mediocre dunk title.

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Yea the are all really great guys off the court.  Spike is a UM legend for his performance against Louisville in the title game.  It's too bad Beilein stuck with him too long in the 2nd half.  Hopefully GRIII can stay healthy I think he can be a solid 7th 8th man if he can.  He's an exciting player.  Hope his best NBA moment isn't just that mediocre dunk title.

Spike was always a tough little bastard.  The type of dude you HATED playing against.  Always in the right place and making the right decision.  Didn't think he had enough ability to play real D1, but loved watching him play as a fan.  I was going nuts the night he went crazy in the first half of the title game.

McGary I watched have one of the best HS games I have ever seen in person against my HS.  He put up 28 points, 20 rebounds 12 blocks and 8 assists in a game against us. (and I don't say that lightly, I am a HUGE Indiana HS basketball fan, and have seen somewhere around half a dozen Mr Basketballs, and about a dozen future NBA players play in person at the HS level over about 30 years) I really thought he was destined for the big time, but he had some off of the court stuff that torpedo'd him.

I always though Glenn was a bit soft and full of himself in HS, but they toughened him up a lot when he got up to UM.  He came together and really realized his potential.  He has a nice ability to come in as instant offense of of the bench.  He has done really well by himself though.  He made himself some nice money with the Pistons contract he just signed.

• Like 1