Prospect Focus: Jimmy Lambert, breakout pitching prospect, w/ quotes

NorthSideSox72

I know people are down due to all the injuries, but there's a flipside to keep track of too. Some guys are breaking out, and none more so than one Jimmy Lambert. Rob (southside hitman) dives deep into how Jimmy got here, with quotes, and paints a picture of an arm that White Sox fans should start keeping track of.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is an awesome tidbit:

Everett Teaford, a former major leaguer pitcher with Kansas City and mostly recently Tampa Bay in 2015, was a pro scout for the Houston Astros until the White Sox hired him to join their player development staff last November. The 34 year-old Teaford is paying immediate dividends in his first season with the Sox, helping Lambert "all along the way" to improve by using his analytic pitching numbers. But once spring training ended and Lambert was assigned to Winston-Salem, Lambert was paired with another young rising star in the Sox organization, pitching coach Matt Zaleski.

This was my favorite futuresox article I think I've read, great gets on everything Rob

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, bmags said:

This is an awesome tidbit:

This was my favorite futuresox article I think I've read, great gets on everything Rob

I also remember someone talking the other day saying that the Sox don't have an analytics department.  So this is a no-named minor low level minor league pitcher who hadn't shown that much at this point.  But someone in the organization had taken the time to not only look at, but study in depth his pitching data and analyze it to the point where they could make a recommendation for a specific change.  And not once, but twice, at least.

41 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I also remember someone talking the other day saying that the Sox don't have an analytics department.  So this is a no-named minor low level minor league pitcher who hadn't shown that much at this point.  But someone in the organization had taken the time to not only look at, but study in depth his pitching data and analyze it to the point where they could make a recommendation for a specific change.  And not once, but twice, at least.

The board was excited when we got a scout from the houston astros but I don't remember much info on him either. WIth their shedding of scouts last year I expected they were "traditional" scouts. That he has instead been hired for helping analyze and distribute the trackman data makes me feel excited.

And this is just building on the additional reporting from Fegan on how the birmingham pitchers have started to include trackman insights (Adams especially, now in AAA)

2 hours ago, bmags said:

The board was excited when we got a scout from the houston astros but I don't remember much info on him either. WIth their shedding of scouts last year I expected they were "traditional" scouts. That he has instead been hired for helping analyze and distribute the trackman data makes me feel excited.

And this is just building on the additional reporting from Fegan on how the birmingham pitchers have started to include trackman insights (Adams especially, now in AAA)

Guys like Jordan Guerrero, Jimmy Lambert, Bernardo Flores, Jordan Stephens, etc. are flying below the radar, but all are having fairly strong seasons without much fanfare. 

Guerrero's FIP/xFIP indicate that he has pitched better than his numbers suggest, and I would expect a strong second half finish. Stephens has been solid all year, and Flores/Lambert have really emerged as future rotation options. 

I would not be surprised if one or two from that group end up making important contributions in the coming years to the mlb squad. Organizational depth is key to winning championships.