Machado deal structure "in place"

southsider2k5

3 minutes ago, Swingandalongonetoleft said:

Selfishly hope it's the Phillies. Whoever it is, I hope they re-sign him to end any chance of Machado being a Cub. 

If anything, you should hope it isn't the Phillies because that's the team he'd most likely re-sign with, eliminating any chance of us getting him. He isn't signing with the Cubs. He probably won't sign with us either but we'll at least make him an offer, unlike the Cubs who can't afford him, have no place for him, and would probably be more interested in Harper 

1 minute ago, Swingandalongonetoleft said:

Yeah, there is that... I just can't see the Sox throwing that kind of money at anything. 

They did with A-Rod and Tanaka (not 300+ but still >>> Abreu's 68), and they have an almost comically low payroll for next year, so I'm at least confident that we'll be one of the interested teams. Everything the front office has said on the matter has been an acknowledgement that they know free agency spending is a crucial step in the rebuild. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

If these deals are indeed true, the Orioles did themselves a big favor by better on holding on to Machado to the deadline.

Agreed -- all these sound steeper than what I'd think was reasonable. I guess that's the beauty of a bidding war.

23 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I wonder if the Dodgers are working with a third team to find someone to take on salary?

Just said the exact same thing to a friend. Would not be surprised at all. And would not be surprised to see the Sox be that third team taking on salary. 

3 minutes ago, username said:

Just said the exact same thing to a friend. Would not be surprised at all. And would not be surprised to see the Sox be that third team taking on salary. 

I would love it.  They have a farm system that matches up with the Sox needs pretty well.

34 minutes ago, username said:

I would think if another really good prospect was coming with a bad contract, the Orioles would just take it. I don't see a 3rd team being involved.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

I wonder if the Dodgers are working with a third team to find someone to take on salary?

37 minutes ago, username said:

Classic Soxtalk. 

6 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

At this point, it doesn't make any sense for Machado not to become a free agent unless the Dodgers blow him out of the water with an offer. 

I meant extend in the off-season. So I guess re-sign. They went under the luxury tax number this year. They'll definitely sign a Harper or Machado.

Edited by soxfan2014