Machado deal structure "in place"

southsider2k5

1 hour ago, username said:

Just said the exact same thing to a friend. Would not be surprised at all. And would not be surprised to see the Sox be that third team taking on salary. 

Can you give me a scenario where taking on a high priced vet would be beneficial to the Sox ? Do you think we'd also get a prospect? And if it's just taking on salary how does that help the Sox ?

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Can you give me a scenario where taking on a high priced vet would be beneficial to the Sox ? Do you think we'd also get a prospect? And if it's just taking on salary how does that help the Sox ?

We quite literally got given Luis Avilan because we were willing to take on the salary of Joakim Soria.

• Like 1

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

We quite literally got given Luis Avilan because we were willing to take on the salary of Joakim Soria.

I know but I'm talking about a scenario with the Dodgers and Orioles . That was to shore up the bullpen and get a few flippable pieces while still not taking on that much salary. That helped the Sox . Give me something that would help us now. I'm stumped.

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I know but I'm talking about a scenario with the Dodgers and Orioles . That was to shore up the bullpen and get a few flippable pieces while still not taking on that much salary. That helped the Sox . Give me something that would help us now. I'm stumped.

Anything that puts more talent into our minor league system, especially without giving up talent to get it, is a welcome addition.  They have a couple of interesting 3Bs for example who are solidly blocked at the major league level that would be great in our system.

8 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Anything that puts more talent into our minor league system, especially without giving up talent to get it, is a welcome addition.  They have a couple of interesting 3Bs for example who are solidly blocked at the major league level that would be great in our system.

But honestly, why wouldn't the Orioles take a vet back if it meant more prospects? They already have budgeted the money, and they are going to need all the help they can get.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Dick Allen said:

But honestly, why wouldn't the Orioles take a vet back if it meant more prospects? They already have budgeted the money, and they are going to need all the help they can get.

I think trying to rationalize what the Orioles have done with Machado up until this point is a fools errand.  They really screwed the pooch, he should have been dealt in the offseason for max return.

Ok maybe not making myself clear . Give me a proposed trade. Doesn't have to be make a lot of sense just something interesting that I can wrap my head around .

You can involve other guys like Zach Britton or Adam Jones or any other Dodger and throw in the prospect of choice.

25 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I think trying to rationalize what the Orioles have done with Machado up until this point is a fools errand.  They really screwed the pooch, he should have been dealt in the offseason for max return.

If Diaz from the Dodgers is on the table right now, could they legitimately have expected a better deal last offseason? The fact that Seager went down with an injury and other teams (Braves) were better than expected created the market for him.

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Ok maybe not making myself clear . Give me a proposed trade. Doesn't have to be make a lot of sense just something interesting that I can wrap my head around .

You can involve other guys like Zach Britton or Adam Jones or any other Dodger and throw in the prospect of choice.

For my two cents, it would involve the Dodgers sending a player with a big salary plus a big prospect in order to free up luxury tax cap space.

If we are talking White Sox and Dodgers for example, it could look something like Matt Kemp + Christian Santana for another Jake Peter type prospect to LAD.  Sox take on a ton of cash this year (Kemp at $21m for this year, prorated though) , plus free up a spot for the Dodgers to make room for salary this year for Manny Machado (Machado at 16m, but prorated from the completion of a trade) to keep them from going over the luxury tax # this season.  Also opens up a spot for a guy someone to go the OF, while Machado takes over an IF spot.

NO IDEA if this works perfectly or not, but just a demonstration of an example that could work in theory.  Definitely don't know either teams interest in a deal like this.

• Thanks 1

For my two cents, it would involve the Dodgers sending a player with a big salary plus a big prospect in order to free up luxury tax cap space.

If we are talking White Sox and Dodgers for example, it could look something like Matt Kemp + Christian Santana for another Jake Peter type prospect to LAD.  Sox take on a ton of cash this year (Kemp at $21m for this year, prorated though) , plus free up a spot for the Dodgers to make room for salary this year for Manny Machado (Machado at 16m, but prorated from the completion of a trade) to keep them from going over the luxury tax # this season.  Also opens up a spot for a guy someone to go the OF, while Machado takes over an IF spot.

NO IDEA if this works perfectly or not, but just a demonstration of an example that could work in theory.  Definitely don't know either teams interest in a deal like this.

The Dodgers are NOT moving Matt Kemp he has been one of their best players. You'll have to find someone else on their roster that makes enough money that they don't want.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The Dodgers are NOT moving Matt Kemp he has been one of their best players. You'll have to find someone else on their roster that makes enough money that they don't want.

MLBTR kicked around Logan Forsythe as a slight salary offset. And someone as the Orioles would just take on (figure he could handle 3B with Beckham at SS).

33 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Yep. Makes sense to me. But Soxtalk gonna Soxtalk.

Edited by soxfan2014

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Just remember I asked SSK2 to give me an example that didn't have to make that much sense . So cut him some slack on that example.

The Orioles already have a pretty high payroll, largely taken up by vets they won't be able to move.  From what I've heard they're unlikely to embrace a full rebuild, and taking on serious salary would help defeat the short-term gain of not having Machado.

The Dodgers have been trying to shed salary for a long time, including trying to move Kemp before the season (obviously not now).  They need to do so to be able to do anything in the crazy FA class this year (as well as to resign key pieces) and will need to do so to shed salary for Machado.  It's certainly possible they just go the route of a salary offset, though paying the high price for Machado makes me think there's at least some possibility they try to retain him.  In that case they would need to clear serious salary.  Of course, they probably don't have room for him with a healthy Seager.

Edited by username

53 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If Diaz from the Dodgers is on the table right now, could they legitimately have expected a better deal last offseason? The fact that Seager went down with an injury and other teams (Braves) were better than expected created the market for him.

I believe if they were serious about moving him in the offseason that they could have gotten a better deal for a full season of Machado instead of 2 months, yes.  JMHO, but he is a great player and could have netted a great return

10 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I believe if they were serious about moving him in the offseason that they could have gotten a better deal for a full season of Machado instead of 2 months, yes.  JMHO, but he is a great player and could have netted a great return

There's a lot to be said for trade deadline trades. Sometimes having a guy for a full year  can result in a disaster if your club has a lot of injuries or guys you counted on regress. At least at the deadline you have time to assess your needs going forward after seeing who is injured and where the holes sprouted up. 3 months of a great player when trying to be the World Champ is more valuable to some teams than a year of the same player that never resulted in a chance to win it all.

When all is said and done maybe the packages wouldn't have been that far apart especially with Manny being a better Manny this year.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

4 hours ago, turnin' two said:

Looks like Forsythe is not going to the O's based on the latest report and that the Dodgers may need to cut salary in a separate deal.  Perhaps an opportunity for the Sox to take him along with an interesting prospect.

Thing is will the Dodgers offer up enough of an interesting prospect to entice the Sox to take Forsythe in a deal? There is literally nowhere to put Forsythe on the field. He's been worse than every starting position player the Sox have on the field. Forsythe has a salary of 9M this year so there's about 4M left to pay him. Essentially the Sox would be paying 4M for the rights to the prospect. 

19 minutes ago, BlackSox13 said:

Thing is will the Dodgers offer up enough of an interesting prospect to entice the Sox to take Forsythe in a deal? There is literally nowhere to put Forsythe on the field. He's been worse than every starting position player the Sox have on the field. Forsythe has a salary of 9M this year so there's about 4M left to pay him. Essentially the Sox would be paying 4M for the rights to the prospect. 

The thing is the Dodgers incentive to get under the caps is WAY bigger.  The cost of being a repeat offender for the caps is HUGE.