Machado deal structure "in place"

southsider2k5

2 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I'm a bit confused here. Is the implication that the Orioles don't know how to properly give physicals? Because I don't get why a Dodgers player having an issue with a physical reflects poorly on the Orioles. 

I think it's mostly due to the Orioles seemingly always finding something on the medicals side to nix any deal, which has made teams leery of dealing with them because you think you're right at the finish line then something comes up last second. 

12 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

I think it's mostly due to the Orioles seemingly always finding something on the medicals side to nix any deal, which has made teams leery of dealing with them because you think you're right at the finish line then something comes up last second. 

But what would be their motivation to sabotaging their own deals? Trying to get other teams to jump in last second to steal a trade away?

Just now, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

But what would be their motivation to sabotaging their own deals? Trying to get other teams to jump in last second to steal a trade away?

Why would anyone sign Chris Davis to a 7 year $161 million deal instead of extending Manny Machado? Orioles gonna Orioles.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I'm a bit confused here. Is the implication that the Orioles don't know how to properly give physicals? Because I don't get why a Dodgers player having an issue with a physical reflects poorly on the Orioles. 

Its not that they don't do them properly. It's that this group wants the physicals to be perfectly clear. Most organizations understand that professional athletes are going to have some wear and tear. They accept a little and work at "prehab" and understand what is a red flag or yellow flag for a deal. Baltimore has always been extremely picky and doesn't accept this. It's their right but it also makes them difficult to deal with.

Edited by ptatc
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Its. It that they don't do them properly. It's that this group wants the physicals to be perfectly clear. Most organizations understand that professional athletes are going to have some wear and tear. They accept a little and work at "prehab" and understand what is a red flag or yellow flag for a deal. Baltimore has always been extremely picky and doesn't accept this. It's their right but it also makes them difficult to deal with.

So the issue as that they are overly cautious and likely unrealistic. Got it, thanks.

16 minutes ago, frogsplash31 said:

Deal seems about right. One real prospect and a few lotto ticket types.

Seems like they could have gotten more in the offseason IMO, but admittedly I don’t know much about the secondary pieces.  Regardless, at least we won’t lose a pick now when we sign him next offseason.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Soxnfins said:

Machado to Dodgers is a good thing. If we chose, we can probably pry him away from them in the off-season due to them being at the luxury tax cap. 

Depends on what the dodgers do with Kershaw. If they part ways with Kershaw they will have plenty of money to re-sign Machado.

I honestly don't think the White Sox have a snowballs chance in hell at signing Machado. I think he'll get some good offers from contending teams that will take the Sox out of the mix.

I'm hoping the Sox are able to play solid enough baseball in '19 with their young talent to goes balls deep after Arenado over the 2019/20 winter.

2 minutes ago, BlackSox13 said:

Depends on what the dodgers do with Kershaw. If they part ways with Kershaw they will have plenty of money to re-sign Machado.

I honestly don't think the White Sox have a snowballs chance in hell at signing Machado. I think he'll get some good offers from contending teams that will take the Sox out of the mix.

I'm hoping the Sox are able to play solid enough baseball in '19 with their young talent to goes balls deep after Arenado over the 2019/20 winter.

The Dodgers aren't going to be worrying about the luxury tax next offseason as long as they're under it this year. If they stay under the tax level this year, the penalties reset for them - for every dollar they are over the tax line of about $210 million they'll only pay a 15% tax. If they didn't get under this year, they'd pay a 50% multi-year-repeater tax for every dollar over the tax line. 

1 minute ago, BlackSox13 said:

Agree. I think Machado will only want to go to an established contender not someone in a  rebuild. But there will be studs in 2020 when we should be more competitive for players.