Make A Deal: Joakim Soria

southsider2k5

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Out of all of the guys who might (realistically anyway) get dealt from the White Sox in the next two weeks, Soria might have the highest value.  What kind of returns do people think we could get for him?  Any names out there?

On a true contender he's not sa closer maybe not even a setup man. 7th inning glue guy. DSL team needs some help that's all I got. Maybe a decent AA player.

55 minutes ago, BamaDoc said:

I think it will also come down to if we include money in the deal.  Money may be able to sweeten the return as several contenders are also trying to stay under the salary tax cap.  

Eh. Soria will have somewhere around $4 million left for the year. I don't see salary being a big deal either way. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Who are the top relievers that are going to be available?  He’s certaintly not an elite closer or anything like that, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Soria is one of the better guys that can be had.

Britton for sure, Brad Hand possibly...then maybe Iglesias from CIN, after that kind of tough since Colome and Herrera were already moved.  I'm probably forgetting a guy or two, but those were the guys that came to my mind right away.

Edited by Sleepy Harold

8 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't think the Sox are getting any prospects currently of note for any of their current MLB players. Their best bet to score impact talent is to take a gamble similarly to the Padres on Tatis Jr. 

We’ll get something decent for Soria.  He’s honestly been pretty damn good this year and his $10M option for 2019 actually might be seen as a positive now.  We obviously won’t get a top 100 type for him, but I think a 45 FV prospect with some upside is possible.  We also might be able to package him with Avalin or Cedeno to get a slightly better return.

11 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

Guys I expect to be moved.

Soria

Narváez

Shields

Avilan

Cedeno

Guys that could be moved

Abreu

Rodon

Sanchez

I honestly was hoping for much more then what we got. Which is why we should have signed some reclimination guys in the offseason

Interesting you list Omar

13 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

Narváez

Save Omar!  2nd highest OPS on the team.  One of the few Sox that takes a walk in an organization that has been walked-challenged for over a decade.
The Sox signed several reclamation projects..unfortunately, most didn't reclaim.

17 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

Soria

Narváez

Shields

Avilan

Cedeno

Guys that could be moved

Abreu

Rodon

Sanchez

I honestly was hoping for much more then what we got. Which is why we should have signed some reclimination guys in the offseason

Who would replace Omar on the roster?

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Who would replace Omar on the roster?

Why does it matter? Does anyone view him as our longterm guy at catcher?

He could be valuable to a contending team as a backup or replace a starter who is not getting it done as to who would immediately replace him well we could always just do a swap and take someone else backup.

Pretty much any team could use Omar as a backup but as a starter the Redsox could use an upgrade. The Brewers who are all in desperately need help there. The Nationals really need some help.

There should be a strong market. Why not move him now? We have Castillo coming back in August anyways and signed for another year. Zack Collins will probably be ready at some point next season. Why hold onto him? He'll have some value now is the time to take advantage of that

Omar's OPS is .771 and rising; he is under 4 years of control.  That's a higher OPS than Flowers ever had for the Sox and higher than AJ had except for 1 year.   He walks like a maniac.
What exactly are people looking for?
And if they trade him...what are they going to get.  An org's #19?  To what end?

44 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Omar's OPS is .771 and rising; he is under 4 years of control.  That's a higher OPS than Flowers ever had for the Sox and higher than AJ had except for 1 year.   He walks like a maniac.
What exactly are people looking for?
And if they trade him...what are they going to get.  An org's #19?  To what end?

Omar Narvaez is a god awful catcher.  He's actually been quite good at the plate since Castillo went down, but he's still nothing special.  Hard to be a solid back-up catcher when you suck balls at catching.

• Like 1

Fairly confident they’ll net a good return for Soria. He’s a better pitcher than Duke, and Tilson was a solid return from a good farm. Same goes for Swarzak for Cordell. 

The option next year and fact that his peripherals have been elite for 2 years makes me think people are really undervaluing him  Not going to get a top 100 guy but probably a very interesting prospect and maybe in the top 200 range.

Would love to get someone blocked at 3B or catcher, or a near-ready reliever or back-end starter. Alternative is a younger lotto ticket. 

Also have to wonder if Soria gets packaged with someone. 

• Like 1