Make A Deal: Joakim Soria

southsider2k5

MLBTR rated the top 75 trade candidates at the All Star break . Here is where they listed Soria and their reasoning :

12. Joakim Soria, White Sox, RP (LR: 12): Soria recently saw an end to a string of 18-straight scoreless appearances. He’s earning $9MM this year, with a $1MM buyout on a 10MM mutual option for 2019. With a 2.75 ERA and 11.3 K/9 vs. 2.3 BB/9 on the year — buttressed by a career-high 14.7% swinging-strike rate — Soria looks to be quite a worthwhile target.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/07/top-50-mlb-trade-candidates-2.html

6 minutes ago, username said:

Fairly confident they’ll net a good return for Soria. He’s a better pitcher than Duke, and Tilson was a solid return from a good farm. Same goes for Swarzak for Cordell. 

The option next year and fact that his peripherals have been elite for 2 years makes me think people are really undervaluing him  Not going to get a top 100 guy but probably a very interesting prospect and maybe in the top 200 range.

Would love to get someone blocked at 3B or catcher, or a near-ready reliever or back-end starter. Alternative is a younger lotto ticket. 

Also have to wonder if Soria gets packaged with someone. 

If he gets packaged with someone I'm hoping its to the Indians. They have some nice prospects. Maybe Nolan Jones at 3B and/or Aaron Civale. Indians top 3 would all seem out of reach unfortunately.

41 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

If he gets packaged with someone I'm hoping its to the Indians. They have some nice prospects. Maybe Nolan Jones at 3B and/or Aaron Civale. Indians top 3 would all seem out of reach unfortunately.

Bah, this isn't the kind of deal where you can just find a team that works because they have a deeper system. When you're trading mid-level relievers, this is where scouting comes into play - you want to find a guy that your team likes that the other team undervalues.

Since hardly anyone is actually throwing out deal offers like the OP suggested....

Soria, or Soria + Cash for....

Houston: For C Garrett Stubbs and P Corbin Martin

Cleveland: OF Connor Capel and P Eli Morgan

Rockies: 2B Tyler Nevin and P Peter Lambert

Nationals: SS Luis Garcia and OF Daniel Johnson

Braves: P Kolby Allard and C William Contreras

Edited by ChiliIrishHammock24

20 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

On a true contender he's not sa closer maybe not even a setup man. 7th inning glue guy. DSL team needs some help that's all I got. Maybe a decent AA player.

I don't know... his name combined with the numbers as of late carry some weight. As mentioned by another poster, an organization top 10 player (towards the back end) sounds about right. 

1 hour ago, Richie said:

I don't know... his name combined with the numbers as of late carry some weight. As mentioned by another poster, an organization top 10 player (towards the back end) sounds about right. 

With my follow up posts I sort of already disagreed with the post you quoted . And yes I disagree with myself quite often

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Bah, this isn't the kind of deal where you can just find a team that works because they have a deeper system. When you're trading mid-level relievers, this is where scouting comes into play - you want to find a guy that your team likes that the other team undervalues.

They may undervalue Clivan since their top 2 pitchers are highly valued and Clivan while a good pitcher doesnt have a sexy K rate at all. My problem with Nolan is that he's not a goodd fielder atm and we need more guys who can actually catch the ball.

1 hour ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Since hardly anyone is actually throwing out deal offers like the OP suggested....

I'll take that last one, please. Seems unrealistic, though.

1 hour ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Why would we get a top 50 prospect in Allard for Soria? 

2 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

I'll take that last one, please. Seems unrealistic, though.

When looking through Fangraphs org lists for names, I was surprised that Allard is considered the Braves 8th best PITCHING prospect. They have got to be the deepest pitching farm in baseball by a mile. William Contreras is an exciting catching prospect, hopefully less douchey than his big brother, but I would want him and then really any of the Braves pitching prospects paired with him.

Of all the players in my mock deals, SS Luis Garcia of the Nationals may be my favorite. The kid is 18-years-old in High-A ball and hitting .319 with a K-rate of only 12%. His future scouting grades have him as 60 run, 60 arm, 55 field, 50 power, and 45 hit. But so far he's hit .300+ at all 3 levels he has played at since being a 16-year-old in rookie ball.

10 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Why would we get a top 50 prospect in Allard for Soria? 

Was going off of Fangraphs ranking, which don't even have him as a Braves top 10 prospect, let alone a top 100 guy.  Midseason rankings by other pubs may jive with that. 

EDIT: Just looked up Baseball America's new top 100 updated today. Allard isn't on their current top 100 either.

Edited by ChiliIrishHammock24

4 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

When looking through Fangraphs org lists for names, I was surprised that Allard is considered the Braves 8th best PITCHING prospect. They have got to be the deepest pitching farm in baseball by a mile. William Contreras is an exciting catching prospect, hopefully less douchey than his big brother, but I would want him and then really any of the Braves pitching prospects paired with him.

Of all the players in my mock deals, SS Luis Garcia of the Nationals may be my favorite. The kid is 18-years-old in High-A ball and hitting .319 with a K-rate of only 12%. His future scouting grades have him as 60 run, 60 arm, 55 field, 50 power, and 45 hit. But so far he's hit .300+ at all 3 levels he has played at since being a 16-year-old in rookie ball.

Fangraphs may be outdated on that? I don't see how a 20 year old LHSP with a sub 3 ERA in 100+ AAA innings (also 7 K/9 and 2.6 K/BB) gets valued that low.

1 minute ago, Dam8610 said:

Fangraphs may be outdated on that? I don't see how a 20 year old LHSP with a sub 3 ERA in 100+ AAA innings (also 7 K/9 and 2.6 K/BB) gets valued that low.

I don't know, but Baseball America's updated list today agrees. Not a top 100 guy.

And to be clear, I assumed he was a slam dunk top 100 guy myself just based on what I thought I had heard about him. But when I looked it up, I saw he wasn't and figured if the Braves happen to agree with those assessments, he should be available for trade if he is truly their 8th best pitching prospect.

3 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I don't know, but Baseball America's updated list today agrees. Not a top 100 guy.

And to be clear, I assumed he was a slam dunk top 100 guy myself just based on what I thought I had heard about him. But when I looked it up, I saw he wasn't and figured if the Braves happen to agree with those assessments, he should be available for trade if he is truly their 8th best pitching prospect.

That's fair. I'd take Quintana 2.0, especially for a reliever. ABTR.

10 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Kyle Young, damn dude, what a deep dive. His peripherals look tasty as fuck.

Ha, I was just searching their top 30 for younger guys a few years away since we'll have a bit of an overcrowded upper levels soon.

29 minutes ago, bmags said:

Just going off player type, much prefer the tiquan forbes trades to the Cordell/Gillaspie trades.

Raw, 18/19, plus tool, haven't put it together. That's my profile.

Last year the White Sox were in much more of a position to take Cordell/Gillaspie type trades because the big league team and Charlotte were both pretty darn devoid of talent. It's not all up to those levels yet, but now we're starting to see positions get filled at those levels - catcher, corner OF, 2b, SS, a lot of starting pitching are already at those levels. Next year, that monster WS team is going to be reaching BHam by the middle of the season at the latest, and some of those guys are going to command slots at higher levels soon.

3 hours ago, Dam8610 said:

Yeah I don't understand that either. Fangraphs knows their stuff but I think they are way off on Allard. I'd be willing to bet Allard is off the table for Soria and should be. 

I do like Chilli's trade idea with the Astros. That seems more plausible.

2 hours ago, bmags said:

Just going off player type, much prefer the tiquan forbes trades to the Cordell/Gillaspie trades.

Raw, 18/19, plus tool, haven't put it together. That's my profile.

Agree with this 100%. Makes sense to look at raw players at the Kanny level and below to provide more depth.