Make A Deal: Joakim Soria

southsider2k5

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Haven't the Braves already said they are not sacrificing the future for one season ? Doubtful they make any significant moves. That is one team that really understands competing over the long term even if it didn't result in as many Championships as they would have liked.

Given the depth of their system, I'm assuming they will have 40 man roster problems in the near future.  Might be not be a bad idea to cash in some of their more fringe guys for a chance at a post-season run.  The money they'd get from playing in October could help them next year in free agency,

8 minutes ago, GGajewski18 said:

I do think we can definitely do better than a Forbes like return for Soria. Remember, we got Forbes for 2 months of fricken Miguel Gonzalez.

I would compare a Forbes like deal to someone like Shields.

Yeah I agree, I would a prospect with a better pedigree for Soria.  I'm ok with guys like Forbes for Shields, Cedeno, etc.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Yeah I agree, I would a prospect with a better pedigree for Soria.  I'm ok with guys like Forbes for Shields, Cedeno, etc.

Oh 100%.  I think if you're expecting more for them then you're just not being realistic.  I think Shields, Cedeno, and Avilan are those types of deals.

8 minutes ago, GGajewski18 said:

I don't see anyway we can land Allard for Soria.  That just seems crazy to me.  If we do, I would go nuts.

Fried seems to be higher on prospect rankings than Allard for some reason. I like Allard better, but apparently more professional evaluators don't agree with me.

2 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

Fried seems to be higher on prospect rankings than Allard for some reason. I like Allard better, but apparently more professional evaluators don't agree with me.

Yeah, I've seen that.  Pipeline won't update their org. ranking until late July/August I believe so idk there.  But everywhere else has Fried ahead of Allard and that's crazy to me.  Allard is 20 in AAA and doing good.

Just now, GGajewski18 said:

Yeah, I've seen that.  Pipeline won't update their org. ranking until late July/August I believe so idk there.  But everywhere else has Fried ahead of Allard and that's crazy to me.  Allard is 20 in AAA and doing good.

Which is exactly why I want him. He's quite possibly MLB ready now and still has quite a bit of room to grow. This is a case to me where prospect rankings be damned, you get the better player. Unless of course the team's scouts agree with the rankings.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Same. I would love it to happen, but I sure can't squint and see it.

Their beat writer suggested a higher ranked prospect, and a 3 piece package. Granted, that was for Soria and Davidson, but Soria and Davidson for Allard, Contreras, and a lottery ticket sounds fine to me.

5 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

Their beat writer suggested a higher ranked prospect, and a 3 piece package. Granted, that was for Soria and Davidson, but Soria and Davidson for Allard, Contreras, and a lottery ticket sounds fine to me.

Frankly I think the writer was a bit insane.  Davidson has zero value. Since getting off to the big start, his BA/OBP/OPS have all fallen month over month as the season has gone on.  He is walking less, striking out more, and not hitting the ball as hard.  His inclusion in a deal does nothing.  He has basically fallen back towards his career norms. 

Soria is Soria.

If we got Allard straight up for Soria I would be thrilled, let alone if others were included, even if it meant Davidson being the deal.  Again, I don't see it as realistic.

Saw a piece somewhere today that said Boston will be looking for a bullpen piece,  7th or 8th inning guy. Article mentioned  two names that could be in the mix, Rodney and Soria. Both are guys Dombrowski has acquired in his past life. 

13 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

Saw a piece somewhere today that said Boston will be looking for a bullpen piece,  7th or 8th inning guy. Article mentioned  two names that could be in the mix, Rodney and Soria. Both are guys Dombrowski has acquired in his past life. 

Soria & Avalin for Jay Groome, who says no?  Probably the Red Sox but coming off a TJ surgery maybe they’d be ok to it?

Edited by Chicago White Sox

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Soria & Avalin for Jay Groome, who says no?  Probably the Red Sox but coming off a TJ surgery maybe they’d be ok to it?

A high ceiling lefty would be nice, though scary with the injury.  I would do it for sure.

55 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

Houston is absolutely hunting for another reliable reliever right now also, and I think it's doubtful that they'd pay the price for a high flying closer with their history. The fact that Soria has closed before, even if he's not their main option in that role, might be especially attractive to them.

11 hours ago, SCCWS said:

Definitely think BOS could use a LHP like Avilan or Cedeno, but maybe package one or both of them with Soria and get something interesting

Groome would be shooting for the stars but who knows with his off-field baggage that BOS gambled on, injury, and rough statline professionally

11 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Definitely think BOS could use a LHP like Avilan or Cedeno, but maybe package one or both of them with Soria and get something interesting

Groome would be shooting for the stars but who knows with his off-field baggage that BOS gambled on, injury, and rough statline professionally

What other interesting prospects do they have?  Chavis really doesn’t do anything for me.  Maybe roll the dice on Tanner Houck?  Their farm system is pretty garbage TBH.

Assuming we move Soria in a one-for-one trade, here’s who I’d target from each contender:

• Astros - Perez, RHP (AA)
  • Mariners - Rodriguez, OF (DSL)
  • Red Sox - Houck, RHP (A+)
  • Yankees - Sauer, RHP (A-)
  • Dodgers - Sheffield, RHP (A+)
  • Rockies - Vilade, 3B (A)
  • Diamondbacks - Varsho, C (A+)
  • Braves - Contreras, C (A)
  • Phillies - Romero, LHP (AA)
  • Nationals - Antuna, SS/3B (A)
  • Cubs - Albertos, RHP (A)
  • Brewers - Feliciano, C (A+)

On 7/18/2018 at 12:47 PM, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Since hardly anyone is actually throwing out deal offers like the OP suggested....

Soria, or Soria + Cash for....

Houston: For C Garrett Stubbs and P Corbin Martin

Cleveland: OF Connor Capel and P Eli Morgan

Rockies: 2B Tyler Nevin and P Peter Lambert

Nationals: SS Luis Garcia and OF Daniel Johnson

Braves: P Kolby Allard and C William Contreras

All of those seem like far too high of an asking price for Soria. 

Dodgers have a ton of young talent outside of the top 100.

Starling Heredia

Alvarez

They also have three quality catching prospects. Most guys still have Ruiz at the top of their prospects lists but Will Smith has vastly out performed him. If we could get Ruiz for a couple of relievers like Soria and Avilian I would be ecstatic.

17 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

Dodgers have a ton of young talent outside of the top 100.

Starling Heredia

Alvarez

They also have three quality catching prospects. Most guys still have Ruiz at the top of their prospects lists but Will Smith has vastly out performed him. If we could get Ruiz for a couple of relievers like Soria and Avilian I would be ecstatic.

Do you value Ruiz or Smith over Collins and Zavala? 

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

0.83 ERA in 22 appearances since May 21 for Soria. Add that to the other good things with the high K rate and high swing and miss rate he may actually be a good 8th inning gamble for some teams .

I really hope I am wrong and someone gets a hard on for Soria.  That would be wonderful for the rebuild.