7/18 Games

BamaDoc

26 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The second pitcher of the game for the DSL team, Cristofer Melendez, walked 1 and struck out 10 over 5 IP.

Their offense is just horrific. Two players on the entire team have an OPS north of .600. The only guy that's mildly interesting is maybe Jose Rodriguez, a 17-year-old shortstop holding his own (.686 OPS) with a good contact rate, but I can't even find any info on the guy so probably nothing there either.

16 minutes ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

Their offense is just horrific. Two players on the entire team have an OPS north of .600. The only guy that's mildly interesting is maybe Jose Rodriguez, a 17-year-old shortstop holding his own (.686 OPS) with a good contact rate, but I can't even find any info on the guy so probably nothing there either.

Yeah, I don't know if it is just our team or what, but the pitching looks to be WAY ahead of the hitting down there.  Don't know if that is because of pitchers parks, or that is where the talent is, or what.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Yeah, I don't know if it is just our team or what, but the pitching looks to be WAY ahead of the hitting down there.  Don't know if that is because of pitchers parks, or that is where the talent is, or what.

I think what we are seeing here is the intersection of:

--Sox lost their ability to sign anyone over 300k the last two cycles

--Sox usually spend their substantial money almost entirely on position players

--Sox have taken to promoting the highest end position player prospects to AZL as young as 17 now, draining the DSL

--Pitchers in that market are more of a crapshoot, so they will be relatively better off than the drained hitting ranks

--The pitchers doing well are in the 19-21 years old range, so they are maybe a little more mature than the average 16-19 ages more typical of the hitters in that league

3 minutes ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

I think what we are seeing here is the intersection of:

--Sox lost their ability to sign anyone over 300k the last two cycles

--Sox usually spend their substantial money almost entirely on position players

--Sox have taken to promoting the highest end position player prospects to AZL as young as 17 now, draining the DSL

--Pitchers in that market are more of a crapshoot, so they will be relatively better off than the drained hitting ranks

--The pitchers doing well are in the 19-21 years old range, so they are maybe a little more mature than the average 16-19 ages more typical of the hitters in that league

That all makes sense to me.

Another terrible start for Hansen. He just can't get things going in the right direction this year.  Still have my doubts he's completely healthy.  If not, junior year at Oklahoma Hansen is back.

so far, 2 IP with 4 runs, 6 walks

24 of 55 pitches for strikes

Edited by fathom

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Another terrible start for Hansen. He just can't get things going in the right direction this year.  Still have my doubts he's completely healthy.  If not, junior year at Oklahoma Hansen is back.

so far, 2 IP with 4 runs, 6 walks

24 of 55 pitches for strikes

Six up, six down with a couple strike outs since your post. 17 of his 21 pitches in those two innings were for strikes. Hopefully he can get into some sort of rhythm before this season is over. He needs to get some confidence back.

EDIT:  Two RBI single by Collins as I was typing that.

Edited by SoxBlanco

9 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Six up, six down with a couple strike outs since your post. 17 of his 21 pitches in those two innings were for strikes. Hopefully he can get into some sort of rhythm before this season is over. He needs to get some confidence back.

EDIT:  Two RBI single by Collins as I was typing that.

I believe 21 of his last 28 pitches were strikes as he retired last ten he faced 

Way too early to worry about Hansen IMO.  He was pretty damn good all of last season (including AA), so I assume he didn’t suddenly forget how to pitch.  I agree he just needs to get into a rhythm with his mechanics.  Long-term I think he will be fine, but this season is pretty much a lost cause and will push his timeline back a bit.

16 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Way too early to worry about Hansen IMO.  He was pretty damn good all of last season (including AA), so I assume he didn’t suddenly forget how to pitch.  I agree he just needs to get into a rhythm with his mechanics.  Long-term I think he will be fine, but this season is pretty much a lost cause and will push his timeline back a bit.

He basically didn't pitch for a calendar year. He needs to get back into rhythm.