Tilson optioned to AAA

Jose Abreu

Yeah I would have sent Engel down and kept Tilson up. How many lives does Engel have left? 

I hope we see a platoon of Davidson/Delmonico at DH/1B. Keep Delmonico out of LF, that's Palka's spot for the rest of the season as far as I'm concerned.

3 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

Probably for Delmonico. Should've been Engel if you ask me.

Engel with some timely hits but not a full-time MLB guy. Tilson has a little more upside. 

20 hours ago, Tony said:

Yeah, in the long run I don't think it really matters, but no idea how Engel got a pass here...

Totally agree. 

I think after ~610 PA, we already know what Engel is/isn't. He simply is not good enough at this level, but he's gotten more than his fair share of opportunities. 

Tilson may or may not be any better. But this is a waste of PAs to continue to give Engel opportunities, when we don't yet know what Tilson, Delmonico, & Cordell are/aren't.

And again, this isn't really a big decision. But I think we all agree that they (once again) made the wrong decision; ongoing bad decisions are why many of us are critical of this front office. 

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

2 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Totally agree. 

I think after ~570 PA, we already know what Engel is/isn't. He simply is not good enough at this level, but he's gotten more than his fair share of opportunities. 

Tilson may or may not be any better. But this is a waste of PAs to continue to give Engel opportunities, when we don't yet know what Tilson, Delmonico, & Cordell are/aren't.

And again, this isn't really a big decision. But I think we all agree that they (once again) made the wrong decision; ongoing bad decisions are why many of us are critical of this front office. 

Tilson is the one legitimate name here.

Cordell is still in rehab, coming back from a season long injury.  He hasn't played competitive baseball for over a year.

Delmonico is the person who is coming up.

3 hours ago, Jerksticks said:

Tilson is terrible.  Engel at least has upside if you squint.  Squint harder, there it is. 

Tilson very well may be terrible, but I don't think we can confirm this in only ~120 PA or so.

However, on the bolded, how much more "squinting" do we have to do? In 182 MLB games/610 PA, he's given us:

-1.0 fWAR, a 59 WRC+ this season, and for all of his supposed fielding prowess, he's ahead of only 1 qualified CF in the AL in DRS, last I looked on fangraphs.

I think we've seen enough of what Engel is. We no longer need to "squint," IMHO.

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Tilson is the one legitimate name here.

Cordell is still in rehab, coming back from a season long injury.  He hasn't played competitive baseball for over a year.

Delmonico is the person who is coming up.

Yes, we all know their current assignments and/or statuses.

But, we've seen 182 games/610 PA of Engel, and the verdict is pretty much in on him: He's not very good at baseball.

I suppose that I'm looking to the AAAA OF types [to include Engel/Tilson/Delmonico/Palka/Cordell], and of these 5, only Engel has inexplicably been given this much rope to hang himself. As the higher-value OF prospects rise through the system, decisions need to be made on these AAAA OF types sooner or later. Engel's had his shot, and he isn't good enough. Tilson and Delmonico haven't had enough exposures for a full verdict to be rendered on their relative merits, IMO. And, yes, Cordell is injured, but once he isn't, I'd rather see him than Engel.

To be fair, its unlikely that more than one of these guys will be rostered on the next good SOX team. But, as PA in non-competitive seasons is a finite resource, I think it's well past the time to move beyond Engel and give the others enough PA to find out what they are/aren't.

23 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Tilson very well may be terrible, but I don't think we can confirm this in only ~120 PA or so.

However, on the bolded, how much more "squinting" do we have to do? In 182 MLB games/610 PA, he's given us:

-1.0 fWAR, a 59 WRC+ this season, and for all of his supposed fielding prowess, he's ahead of only 1 qualified CF in the AL in DRS, last I looked on fangraphs.

I think we've seen enough of what Engel is. We no longer need to "squint," IMHO.

Yes, we all know their current assignments and/or statuses.

But, we've seen 182 games/610 PA of Engel, and the verdict is pretty much in on him: He's not very good at baseball.

I suppose that I'm looking to the AAAA OF types [to include Engel/Tilson/Delmonico/Palka/Cordell], and of these 5, only Engel has inexplicably been given this much rope to hang himself. As the higher-value OF prospects rise through the system, decisions need to be made on these AAAA OF types sooner or later. Engel's had his shot, and he isn't good enough. Tilson and Delmonico haven't had enough exposures for a full verdict to be rendered on their relative merits, IMO. And, yes, Cordell is injured, but once he isn't, I'd rather see him than Engel.

To be fair, its unlikely that more than one of these guys will be rostered on the next good SOX team. But, as PA in non-competitive seasons is a finite resource, I think it's well past the time to move beyond Engel and give the others enough PA to find out what they are/aren't.

Agree.  But Tilson?  Cordell sure.  But tilson?

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

Charlie wasn't terrible, but he isn't what the team needs when they win. Maybe off the bench to pinch run and play some defense. if not, so what? So sending him to Charlotte should be a who cares event. 

He is a prototypical 4th OF from the old days.  He isn't going to hurt you, but he isn't going to help you much either.  The choice between he and Engel is practically meaningless, as they both will be out of jobs as soon as the real players start showing up.

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

He is a prototypical 4th OF from the old days.  He isn't going to hurt you, but he isn't going to help you much either.  The choice between he and Engel is practically meaningless, as they both will be out of jobs as soon as the real players start showing up.

While I agree that they both provide minimal impact, part of me is worried that Engel won't be out of a job anytime soon. There have been so many chances to replace him yet he still plays most of the time. Even when it looked like Tilson was starting to take his ABs, I'm more convinced that was Renteria letting TIlson face the Cardinals (his former team) rather than Engel losing his job

Engel is at least a sensational defensive talent and not much worse than Tilson was at the plate. Tilson is also someone who might benefit from more time in the minors while I have doubts that Engel would get anything from it.

10 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

While I agree that they both provide minimal impact, part of me is worried that Engel won't be out of a job anytime soon. There have been so many chances to replace him yet he still plays most of the time. Even when it looked like Tilson was starting to take his ABs, I'm more convinced that was Renteria letting TIlson face the Cardinals (his former team) rather than Engel losing his job

It seems like every time there is a chance that Engel could go out, someone in front of him gets hurt. I think Tilson got the chance to prove something, and really didn't show anything either at least in the eyes of management.  I have very little doubt that Engels days are number.  Even if it isn't in 2018, there is enough talent that is coming through here, that even if Engel starts to hit a bit, there will be enough talented players to dislodge him.

Our outfield in September is going to be nuts...think of all of the options for Ricky to mess around with...Avi, Leury, Delmonico, Eloy (his ass better be up here in September), Palka, Tilson, Engel, LaMarre (I assume), Thompson???...that's 9 potential outfielders!! Avi is the only shoo-in for every day RF, and assuming he is healthy (and doesn't get traded), will play there every day. That only leaves 2 spots, and only Leury, Tilson and Engel can play CF. At least Leury can play the infield...probably going to have to rotate a lot of these guys between LF and DH. September is gonna be nuts I bet.

3 minutes ago, Scoots said:

Our outfield in September is going to be nuts...think of all of the options for Ricky to mess around with...Avi, Leury, Delmonico, Eloy (his ass better be up here in September), Palka, Tilson, Engel, LaMarre (I assume), Thompson???...that's 9 potential outfielders!! Avi is the only shoo-in for every day RF, and assuming he is healthy (and doesn't get traded), will play there every day. That only leaves 2 spots, and only Leury, Tilson and Engel can play CF. At least Leury can play the infield...probably going to have to rotate a lot of these guys between LF and DH. September is gonna be nuts I bet.

His ass better not be up here in September, because wasting a year of service time for 30 days on the big league club in a lost season is fu**ing stupid. 

16 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

His ass better not be up here in September, because wasting a year of service time for 30 days on the big league club in a lost season is fu**ing stupid. 

Is it really wasting a year of service time though? By the time that time comes around for him to be a free agent, shouldn't the Sox already be competitive? Wouldn't you think he would want to stay and sign an extension? Are we going to do this with all of our prospects? 1 damn year isn't going to make a difference. Bring him up and get the fans excited. Give him a taste of the big leagues. Let him play against the likes of Boston, Cleveland, LA and the Cubs. Let him understand how he needs to prepare in the offseason against Major Leaguers vs Minor Leagues. They should do the same shit with Kopech.

Edited by Scoots
  • Like 1