7/19 Games

BamaDoc

4 minutes ago, DH in the NL said:

For those watching the Charlotte game does Kopech always have the bad body language? He just slipped after a pitch, and looked like he wanted to toss his mit. He shows some kind of geasture every time he pitches.

I think that was at least the 2nd time he fell off the mound and I feel like every time I watch he falls off. I think he is just frustrated because of it

Just now, BigHurt3515 said:

I think that was at least the 2nd time he fell off the mound and I feel like every time I watch he falls off. I think he is just frustrated because of it

My wife doesn’t watch baseball and she noticed the same thing. It looks like he’s going to have a hard time fielding his position if he doesn’t get his body under control.

20 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

It's also anti-walk. That's why I'm wary of his potential. He'll hit for average but won't slug and won't have much value with OBP relative to his average, barring changes in his approach 

He had more walks than strikeouts. Hopefully, it stays close.

Just now, ptatc said:

He had more walks than strikeouts. Hopefully, it stays close.

Haha, not too hard when you strike out like 4 times a year! :)

It's more his walk rate that I'm getting at. He's a guy who, with a full season of PAs, projects between 35-45 walks or so, once you factor in higher quality pitching that he's facing. That's not bad at all but when you're not hitting for any power whatsoever, it puts a LOT of pressure on your hit tool. Luckily, his hit tool is fantastic. 

Just now, Jose Abreu said:

Haha, not too hard when you strike out like 4 times a year! :)

It's more his walk rate that I'm getting at. He's a guy who, with a full season of PAs, projects between 35-45 walks or so, once you factor in higher quality pitching that he's facing. That's not bad at all but when you're not hitting for any power whatsoever, it puts a LOT of pressure on your hit tool. Luckily, his hit tool is fantastic. 

I think it’s premature to assume his approach at the plate won’t change.  I fully expect him to take more walks as he continues to develop.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

I think it’s premature to assume his approach at the plate won’t change.  I fully expect him to take more walks as he continues to develop.

Same.  Way too early to jump to conclusions on someone who's played a whole 8 games in pro ball?

Edited by DirtySox

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

1 minute ago, DirtySox said:

Same.  Way too early to jump to conclusions on someone who's played a whole 8 games in pro ball?

I don't know where you're getting that. Not talking about his minor league stats. He's just a guy who swings early and often. If he tweaks his approach, that's great, but judging by his interviews, he doesn't plan on it 

Just now, Jose Abreu said:

I don't know where you're getting that. Not talking about his minor league stats. He's just a guy who swings early and often. If he tweaks his approach, that's great, but judging by his interviews, he doesn't plan on it 

He also hasn’t been part of a professional organization that should hopefully be preaching selective aggressiveness.  While he always be more aggressive than normal, he’s going to learn to take his free pitches when given to him or won’t be a successful major leaguer.

Just now, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Kopech allowed a leadoff single that went off of Leonard at 3B, and in to LF.

It's nice to be able to watch these games as opposed to just looking at the box score. He's allowed like, 5 hits and 1 walk, but it's all weak contact, the walk was on the umpire, and 2 of the hits should have been easy outs.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

I watched a few innings, but none of the hits have been hard.  Have you seen otherwise?

I know you asked someone else but I am also watching and can confirm that none of the hits have been hard. In fact they've mostly been weak, KC specials 

• bmags unpinned this topic