Yankees looking for pitching

southsider2k5

1 minute ago, DH in the NL said:

Are you saying Abreu is too much? I’m trying to suggest a deal that has nothing to do with salary dump. Take Abreu out and put in Soria for all I care.

I'm saying that Greg Bird is currently outhitting Jose Abreu and as a consequence right now Jose Abreu would be an expensive downgrade for the Yankees, so yeah, Soria is at least a player of value.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Unless the Sox picked up a ton of cash, that would push the Yankees right up to the luxury tax number.

Is there any reason why the Sox wouldn’t eat some cash? 

If the Yankees would prefer Soria would this deal be enticing enough for them? I wonder if Rodon is valued more by the Sox than Abreu?

Come on yall, the Yanks ain't looking for a pitcher like Rodon or an expensive piece in Shields.

Rodon has serious usage concerns making him a big ?? in the playoffs.

Shields is useless in the playoffs for them. (They need a #1 or #2).

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DH in the NL said:

Is there any reason why the Sox wouldn’t eat some cash? 

If the Yankees would prefer Soria would this deal be enticing enough for them? I wonder if Rodon is valued more by the Sox than Abreu?

Frankly I could see the Yankees interested in Rodon, but not at a high enough price to justify moving him with the questions around him.  Also don't see Soria being a real need with the back of the pen the Yanks already have.  Avilan would be a better fit.  Shields might be marginally better than what they have now, but not sure they couldn't do better without giving up a lot.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

I'm saying that Greg Bird is currently outhitting Jose Abreu and as a consequence right now Jose Abreu would be an expensive downgrade for the Yankees, so yeah, Soria is at least a player of value.

Jose Abreu is a far better hitter than Greg Bird.

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Jose Abreu is a far better hitter than Greg Bird.

No team will look at Jose Abreu's numbers over the past month and a half and think so. He may well be, but he's hit .180 over the past 46 games. He may turn it back on starting next game, but he has a week and a half until the trade deadline, and any team trading for him will look at nearly 2 month stretch of being an awful hitter and think "This guy may go right back to being awful next week" because the trade deadline is in 12 days.

Jose Abreu has no value in a trade right now. You could get other teams to take him as a salary dump, but the White Sox should have no reason to give him up as a salary dump. You're getting nothing of value back for Jose Abreu right now.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Jose Abreu said:

It's crazy how much recency bias there has been in baseball lately

You're talking about teams who need to evaluate "What will this player do for me in August and September". Being terrible in June and July is really important for that evaluation. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

You're talking about teams who need to evaluate "What will this player do for me in August and September". Being terrible in June and July is really important for that evaluation. 

To an extent, sure, but keep in mind Abreu is signed for 2019 too. If he's still in a downward spiral by the end of August, maybe I'll reconsider my stance. For now, I'll consider this his yearly extended slump where he looks completely awful. Regardless, I'd be willing to bet that Abreu from tomorrow to the end of 2019 will be a better offensive player than Bird in the same span. 

8 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

To an extent, sure, but keep in mind Abreu is signed for 2019 too. If he's still in a downward spiral by the end of August, maybe I'll reconsider my stance. For now, I'll consider this his yearly extended slump where he looks completely awful. Regardless, I'd be willing to bet that Abreu from tomorrow to the end of 2019 will be a better offensive player than Bird in the same span. 

I'd probably take that bet too...but that's not what the Yankees would be asking when trading for him, they're looking to win a world series this year, and therefore his disastrous month and a half stretch would take priority. Jose Abreu right now is valueless in a trade; you could probably get someone to claim him on waivers and take him for nothing, but you are not getting talent back for Abreu right now. That's how deep and how long this stretch has been. Whether it's injury or being completely out of sync or whatever, right now Jose Abreu is a bad and overpaid hitter and that's how he has to be viewed as a trade asset.

• Thanks 1

Trading Abreu now makes no sense. Teams will be looking for a discount. He's been pretty bad, but it's pretty rare a guy falls off a cliff like that in the middle of the season and is suddenly done, without a significant injury. He was raking previously. 

If I were a GM of another team, if the White Sox wanted to sell him at a discount, I would buy immediately. I think he is due for a bounce back, and if he's in a better line up, those chances do nothing but improve. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Trading Abreu now makes no sense. Teams will be looking for a discount. He's been pretty bad, but it's pretty rare a guy falls off a cliff like that in the middle of the season and is suddenly done, without a significant injury. He was raking previously. 

If I were a GM of another team, if the White Sox wanted to sell him at a discount, I would buy immediately. I think he is due for a bounce back, and if he's in a better line up, those chances do nothing but improve. 

100% agree.  There would definitely be teams willing to take him off our hands, we just wouldn't get a ton for him because of the slump.  

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

100% agree.  There would definitely be teams willing to take him off our hands, we just wouldn't get a ton for him because of the slump.  

At this point, let him play out his contract, QO him if he has a good year next year and let him walk after the extra year. Not a lot of teams would offer him what the QO would, and then after that he'll be 34 and time to let him go. 

Edited by Jack Parkman