7/20 games

BamaDoc

• bmags pinned this topic

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-fringe-five-baseballs-most-compelling-fringe-prospects-116/

Mendick is back in.

I paid attention to him so much more last year, largely due to the dearth of talent in W-S offensively.

This year the power he has shown in birmingham has been eye-opening, though his average has risen and fell. It's starting to feel at any point like he may just figure it all out and take off. 

13 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Dionicio Jimenez  with 7 BBs and 8Ks in 3 2/3 IP.  That is insane.

I know someone said the other day how DSL stats are so weird since literally all we can do is look at the box scores. I wonder if bad umpiring is also a factor in pitchers sometimes having crazy walk totals down there.

41 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I know someone said the other day how DSL stats are so weird since literally all we can do is look at the box scores. I wonder if bad umpiring is also a factor in pitchers sometimes having crazy walk totals down there.

Good Point!

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I'd like to see him get a solid month at AA before year is up.  AA season ends 1st week of Sept?  So two more weeks in WS and onto Birmingham.   

Yeah, I don’t know how he doesn’t fly through the system if he never strikes out, gets on base all the time, and plays solid defense. Winston-Salem will be in the playoffs, but I don’t doubt he could handle AA very soon.

3 minutes ago, flavum said:

Yeah, I don’t know how he doesn’t fly through the system if he never strikes out, gets on base all the time, and plays solid defense. Winston-Salem will be in the playoffs, but I don’t doubt he could handle AA very soon.

Certainly isn't any other SS (seems like that's where they want him working for now) blocking him.  I dunno if he's a MLB quality SS with the arm concerns, but makes sense to try him there.  Then they can move TA to catcher in 2021.

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Thanks 1

Quick math but I'm pretty sure Collins is batting .185 without Eloy in Birmingham and  .284 with him there. Probably coincidental but wonder if having someone on base in front of him more often prevented fewer shifts and got him more fastballs.