HOU interested in Abreu/Britton

southsider2k5

3 minutes ago, daggins said:

Jose is probably an upgrade over Gattis at DH, and there's some upside for 2019, but I don't see a reason for the Astros to do this. 

If you believe he can be a 140 wRC+ hitter as your DH that’s a pretty sizable upgrade and one that can probably be had on the cheap.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If you believe he can be a 140 wRC+ hitter as your DH that’s a pretty sizable upgrade and one that can probably be had on the cheap.

I don't see any reason to believe that.  If the Astros do, I'd be pretty shocked.  I think they might believe he's better than Gattis and the Sox will dump him for not much in return.

Fangraphs project a wRC+ of 121 rest of way for Jose and 113 for Gattis.

3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I don't see any reason to believe that.  If the Astros do, I'd be pretty shocked.  I think they might believe he's better than Gattis and the Sox will dump him for not much in return.

Fangraphs project a wRC+ of 121 rest of way for Jose and 113 for Gattis.

Fangraphs doesn’t know how to account for his past month & a half and is just playing the middle.  More than likely he’s the same hitter he was in 2017 and the first two months of 2018 (135 to 140 wRC+ bay) or he’s actually fallen off a cliff and will be a bad hitter.  I don’t really see how the middle ground is a realistic scenario IMO.

20 minutes ago, daggins said:

Jose is probably an upgrade over Gattis at DH, and there's some upside for 2019, but I don't see a reason for the Astros to do this. 

agreed...I don't get it.  It's not like the Sox are going to just fork him over either...and those effers are stingy with their specs...

3 minutes ago, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

Btw is abreu Hurt? April and May he basically was normal abreu but June he had a 600 ops and July even under 500. With a normal slump it is almost impossible to be that bad.

I think he’s battling some physical ailments.  Didn’t he have a foot injury recently?  He just doesn’t look comfortable up there despite the fact he looked amazing in April & May.

13 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think he’s battling some physical ailments.  Didn’t he have a foot injury recently?  He just doesn’t look comfortable up there despite the fact he looked amazing in April & May.

If he's been hurt for this long it's darn near criminal the White Sox didn't put him on the DL mid June. They'd have gotten better production with Davidson there. 

13 hours ago, Wanne said:

agreed...I don't get it.  It's not like the Sox are going to just fork him over either...and those effers are stingy with their specs...

I know we all love Hahn. But does anyone trust he will get the better end of the deal against Luhnow? Or better question - that the two can make a deal together? 

1 hour ago, Sox72 said:

I know we all love Hahn. But does anyone trust he will get the better end of the deal against Luhnow? Or better question - that the two can make a deal together? 

Cutting one-sided deals for vets is not Luhnow's m.o....he pays fair prices for veterans on the trade market. 
Now you aren't going to get his best prospects ...but that farm system is extremely productive and with careful scouting, Hahn and his scouts should be able to find what they need in the form of ascending, although as yet unranked, prospects.    I'd love for Hahn to trade with the Astros.

Edited by GreenSox

2 hours ago, GreenSox said:

Cutting one-sided deals for vets is not Luhnow's m.o....he pays fair prices for veterans on the trade market. 
Now you aren't going to get his best prospects ...but that farm system is extremely productive and with careful scouting, Hahn and his scouts should be able to find what they need in the form of ascending, although as yet unranked, prospects.    I'd love for Hahn to trade with the Astros.

Yeah. That would be nice. I’m just not sure how much they have left in the farm system (that they’re willing to trade).  But admittedly, I don’t know a ton about their system anymore. 

17 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

If he's been hurt for this long it's darn near criminal the White Sox didn't put him on the DL mid June. They'd have gotten better production with Davidson there. 

Abreu must have kicked Baltas dog.

11 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Abreu must have kicked Baltas dog.

Over last 30 days, he has the third worst fWAR in all of baseball (only Hosmer and VMart worse).  On the season, he's one of the 5 worst "high leverage" hitters in baseball.  For the season, he's a negative fWAR player now.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, fathom said:

Over last 30 days, he has the third worst fWAR in all of baseball (only Hosmer and VMart worse).  On the season, he's one of the 5 worst "high leverage" hitters in baseball.  For the season, he's a negative fWAR player now.  

And we found out he’s 41, not 31

14 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

I guess that guarantees we end up trading Jose.

I posted some things on twitter about this. Whenever Bob does this, it's usually an indication that the White Sox are using him to negotiate through the media. They really don't have a ton of leverage right now though due to Abreu being bad.