HOU interested in Abreu/Britton

southsider2k5

Seems like Carlos Correa’s back issue might be the bigger reason the Astros have interest in Abreu or at least that’s what some of their fans are speculating. Adding Jose would allow them to shift Gurriel to 3B & Bregman to SS in the event that Correa is out longer than expected.

I could definitely see Luhnow trying to buy low on Abreu, just doubtful they’d offer up anything interesting enough that would get us to bite.  Could explain the “inclined to hold” positioning they are taking via the Nightengale tweet.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Seems like Carlos Correa’s back issue might be the bigger reason the Astros have interest in Abreu or at least that’s what some of their fans are speculating. Adding Jose would allow them to shift Gurriel to 3B & Bregman to SS in the event that Correa is out longer than expected.

I could definitely see Luhnow trying to buy low on Abreu, just doubtful they’d offer up anything interesting enough that would get us to bite.  Could explain the “inclined to hold” positioning they are taking via the Nightengale tweet.

I do believe Yordan Alvarez is on the block for Houston. From what it sounds like on here Abreu wouldn’t be enough to get him

9 minutes ago, DH in the NL said:

I do believe Yordan Alvarez is on the block for Houston. From what it sounds like on here Abreu wouldn’t be enough to get him

Yeah, I think they’re saving Alvarez (or Tucker) for a substantial controllable piece.  I think the best we could do for Abreu at this point in time is a guy like Hector Perez as the centerpiece and a couple high upside lottery tickets.  I’m not sure that’s enough for me to move him.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

And this is why you don't worry about having too much depth at certain positions or worry about drafting for need.

1 hour ago, soxfan2014 said:

And this is why you don't worry about having too much depth at certain positions or worry about drafting for need.

Plus that 3B depth also was a big piece to obtain Gerrit Cole..

If the Astros want Abreu, i would guess they see something they think they can fix unless it's just purely a matter of thinking they can get him on the cheap.

Edited by GreenSox
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Why  do the tweets specifically mention Drury is not involved? It's not like has any real trade value.  Unless the point is that the Orioles are getting real value and not an utility infielder.

I think he's this month's grossly overrated Yankee by fans/media so people think he has a ton of trade value. I can't even have a conversation with a Yankees fan lately without them bringing up how good Drury is. 

9 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

But the Astros still have the chance

Yeah I was just being silly. You're right though, Houston could be interested and same with the Braves. I know Britton is a lefty but with his injury problems this year and his high walk rate, the Sox might be able to land a better deal for Soria than what Baltimore got for Britton. This is very encouraging.

5 minutes ago, daggins said:

I guess Soria is the best rental left on the market.

Soria has a 2019 team option for 10M with a 1M buyout. Sox could offer Soria + 1M in a deal in case the team that trades for him doesn't want him next year.

For all you old timers who miss the days of starting pitchers going deep in the game, this is the future. The Yankees bullpen is so deep, their "starters" might go 3, 4 innings tops come playoff time. And it would be dumb to have them pitch longer, other than Severino.

20 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

For all you old timers who miss the days of starting pitchers going deep in the game, this is the future. The Yankees bullpen is so deep, their "starters" might go 3, 4 innings tops come playoff time. And it would be dumb to have them pitch longer, other than Severino.

Nice shutout by Tanaka.