Moncada & Umpires

Jose Abreu

9 hours ago, tray said:

WTH is dat?  LOL. It's a typo like say, mofo.

Moncada can't hit Left Handed pitchers as a Right Handed hitter.   But you knew that.

He cannot  start games against against LEFT HANDED starters if continues to hit .147  against them  LOL

He doesn't want to play third base  and  anyway, Yolmer is probably a better defender there with a superior arm.

PERHAPS Madrigal could beat Moncada  out for the second base job, maybe as soon as next season.

My guess is that Madrigal will make all the routine plays just like he did in College,  and will hit for a much higher average than Moncada and avoid all the strike outs.  Moncada  touted as the number one prospect in all of baseball has not yet lived up to that rating.

I think the problem will resolve itself. I do think next year, if the trend continues, the White Sox will have to decide if Moncada should just bat LF. If late in 2019 season he is still struggling after just hitting LF or still struggling as a swicth-hitter, then you have a problem. I think next year Madrigal stays in AAA so the Sox have another year before the issue arises. 

Edited by SCCWS
spell

13 hours ago, tray said:

WTH is dat?  LOL. It's a typo like say, mofo.

Moncada can't hit Left Handed pitchers as a Right Handed hitter.   But you knew that.

He cannot  start games against against LEFT HANDED starters if continues to hit .147  against them  LOL

He doesn't want to play third base  and  anyway, Yolmer is probably a better defender there with a superior arm.

PERHAPS Madrigal could beat Moncada  out for the second base job, maybe as soon as next season.

My guess is that Madrigal will make all the routine plays just like he did in College,  and will hit for a much higher average than Moncada and avoid all the strike outs.  Moncada  touted as the number one prospect in all of baseball has not yet lived up to that rating.

Be careful about posting anything negative/critical of Moncada around these parts. You will get flagged by the thought control police.

Hitting 147 with a 600 OPS against left handed pitching is nothing to worry about. Moncada is still extremely young and raw. It may take him 2000 at bats until everything clicks.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, tlongo81@gmail.com said:

Be careful about posting anything negative/critical of Moncada around these parts. You will get flagged by the thought control police.

Hitting 147 with a 600 OPS against left handed pitching is nothing to worry about. Moncada is still extremely young and raw. It may take him 2000 at bats until everything clicks.

I know you're  being sarcastic but it may take him 2000 at bats. That is about 3 seasons and he will be 25 at that time. That would be a little early to hit his peak but he could do it.

2 hours ago, ptatc said:

I know you're  being sarcastic but it may take him 2000 at bats. That is about 3 seasons and he will be 25 at that time. That would be a little early to hit his peak but he could do it.

If it takes him 2,000 at bats to figure it out he won't have a full time gig.  In the MLB today you just don't get that many opportunities.

39 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Well, if he's a 3-4 WAR player after 600 or so at bats, maybe he'll be ok

I mean, this is the key right here.  The fact he’s already a 3 WAR player despite his warts will buys him time.  And when we’re talking about his development, it’s going from good to great or hopefully elite.  It’s going to be a while before we need to worry about upgrading a 3 WAR mid 20’s 2B if that’s all he ends up being.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cjgalloway said:

If it takes him 2,000 at bats to figure it out he won't have a full time gig.  In the MLB today you just don't get that many opportunities.

He's already "figured it out" enough to be a regular on a lot of teams. We're talking about him becoming elite and fulfilling his potential. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I mean, this is the key right here.  The fact he’s already a 3 WAR player despite his warts will buys him time.  And when we’re talking about his development, it’s going from good to great or hopefully elite.  It’s going to be a while before we need to worry about upgrading a 3 WAR mid 20’s 2B if that’s all he ends up being.

Beat me to it. 

9 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Triple post time: I've determined the Moncada trolls are just salty Chris Sale fans, which is understandable. One thing they've already accomplished is managing to be more annoying than Chris Sale, which is pretty hard to do. Well done, lads! 

I was actually thinking about that the other day. I live in New England part of the year and the media coverage of the Red Sox is huge( i.e.30-40 beat writers).  In two years, Sale never says anything. Obviously the media is ga-ga over his performance. But Sale is pretty invisible with the press. Weird since the jersey episode was off the wall but he is pretty boring news on the days he doesn't pitch. Kind of Trout- like these days. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Triple post time: I've determined the Moncada trolls are just salty Chris Sale fans, which is understandable. One thing they've already accomplished is managing to be more annoying than Chris Sale, which is pretty hard to do. Well done, lads! 

You'd think a lot of it is youthful instant gratification culture. That said, however, you'd expect them to be happy or at least content with Moncada's numbers. But the numbers they seem to care about are outdated ones like batting average or fielding percentage. That may be a clue as to the demographic of posters who are so anti-Moncada.

For what its worth the Sun-Times spoke with Ozzie about some things, its in Monday's paper. Ozzie talked about how today's players don't seem to value defense and had honest opinions about both Anderson and Moncada. Ozzie didn't pull any punches (but then he usually doesn't)

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

For what its worth the Sun-Times spoke with Ozzie about some things, its in Monday's paper. Ozzie talked about how today's players don't seem to value defense and had honest opinions about both Anderson and Moncada. Ozzie didn't pull any punches (but then he usually doesn't)

If people cared about what Guillen had to say, he'd be employed. 

He's not employed, right? 

Edited by TaylorStSox
English is hard
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jose Abreu said:

You'd think a lot of it is youthful instant gratification culture. That said, however, you'd expect them to be happy or at least content with Moncada's numbers. But the numbers they seem to care about are outdated ones like batting average or fielding percentage. That may be a clue as to the demographic of posters who are so anti-Moncada.

Heard Steve Lyons talking last week about  the significance of batting .300 He said the advent of all the new metrics are big w fans and the media. But he said in the clubhouse,  players still are concerned about their batting average. 

Edited by SCCWS

40 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

Heard Steve Lyons talking last week about  the significance of batting .300 He said the advent of all the new metrics are big w fans and the media. But he said in the clubhouse,  players still are concerned about their batting average. 

Yeah, most of them do and there are a select few that concern themselves with newer metrics. Either way, they're athletes, not necessarily intellectuals, and I don't fault them for using the stats that were available since they were kids. It's different with fans, though. 

6 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Yeah, most of them do and there are a select few that concern themselves with newer metrics. Either way, they're athletes, not necessarily intellectuals, and I don't fault them for using the stats that were available since they were kids. It's different with fans, though. 

Honestly, this post kind of makes me hate baseball. 

• Thanks 2

22 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Ozzie Guillen then handed in a lineup with Brian Anderson on the bench and Rob Mackowiak in CF, and added "Now this is how you f***ing don't care about defense". 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Interesting read coming from a former Gold Glove winner.  He knows a thing or two about fielding.

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Very interesting quote from Madrigal in the FS article about how he adjusts his strike zone from umpire to umpire within each AB.  Crazy.  I really hope this kid pans out.  It will be really nice to have a high average middle infielder.

In fairness to the rest of baseball, Madrigal's strike zone is about half the size of everyone else. 

• Haha 1

Can you imagine if the MLB moves away from Umpires to computers for calling balls and strikes? I don't think it happens in the next 2-3 years, but I definitely see it happening in the next decade. If that happens the value on a guy like Moncada instantly goes up a TON. Imagine those 35 called 3rd strikes and now how that changes his batting average and OBP, etc.

This kid is going to be a stud.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BrianAnderson said:

Can you imagine if the MLB moves away from Umpires to computers for calling balls and strikes? I don't think it happens in the next 2-3 years, but I definitely see it happening in the next decade. If that happens the value on a guy like Moncada instantly goes up a TON. Imagine those 35 called 3rd strikes and now how that changes his batting average and OBP, etc.

This kid is going to be a stud.

I can see them going to T-ball and eliminating balls and strikes all together. 

On 7/23/2018 at 4:24 PM, Jose Abreu said:

I really don't like this thought process.  People have found stats that make them rationalize why certain things are okay / aren't okay. This "absolutism" baseball has evolved into is just not good for the overall excitement of the game (i.e., HR / BB / K).  Batting average is a good stat (it is not a worthless stat). Getting more hits is a good thing. Yes, luck and other factors exist (and need to be accounted for), but guys who get more hits are just generally going to be more likely to deliver in critical situations and help you win more "one-run" games.  The fundamentals of players, etc has declined. Doesn't mean guys aren't physically gifted...cause are incredibly gifted and pitchers throw ridiculously harder, etc, which adds to the nuances, but the advent of the shift, the ridiculous amount of strikeouts...none of that would have happened in the first 100 years of the game.  

• Like 3

On 7/24/2018 at 1:51 PM, chitownsportsfan said:

Very interesting quote from Madrigal in the FS article about how he adjusts his strike zone from umpire to umpire within each AB.  Crazy.  I really hope this kid pans out.  It will be really nice to have a high average middle infielder.

I really hope he makes it cause he's the kind of player that I like to see. MLB needs more guys (in his mold).  

• Thanks 1