Fulmer's New Bullpen Role

ScootsMcGoots

https://theathletic.com/443321/2018/07/24/carson-fulmer-knows-the-quickest-way-back-to-chicago-is-through-the-bullpen/

“When an organization calls you and tells you they want to push you to the ‘pen because of the chance for you to get back up to the big leagues as soon as possible, it’s tough,” Fulmer said. “Really didn’t know how to react at first but I think I can be really helpful out of the bullpen. I think I’ll definitely have a chance here soon. Just getting up there and being able to establish myself is the biggest key for me.”

“I love it, I love it,” Fulmer said. “I think it’s a really good role for me. I know that the organization is definitely seeing me in that role. I definitely could help obviously this team, but the big league team in that role as well. I’m a guy that loves adrenaline, loves coming in and getting out of situations. I train for being able to bounce back quick and I think it’s a role I’m definitely settling into.”

Seems like it's working so far, albeit a tiny sample size. 4 out of 5 good outings out of the pen so far...small sample size.

Its tough as a player when an org pretty much gave up on you as a starter (said you failed in that regard). But he can be a very useful piece out of the pen. Hell, hes got a closer mindset.  Fulmer can still have a very nice career and make a good amount of money in the future. 

Let him try this, maybe if it works out and he gains some confidence and command, he can go back to starting one day. There are a lot of failed starters that become lock down relievers, and if he becomes effective, he isn't a wasted pick the way the game is played now.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Let him try this, maybe if it works out and he gains some confidence and command, he can go back to starting one day. There are a lot of failed starters that become lock down relievers, and if he becomes effective, he isn't a wasted pick the way the game is played now.

Agree completely.

23 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Yeah if he turns into our version of Archie Bradley I'm cool with that. 

22 minutes ago, The Ginger Kid said:

His inability to throw strikes isn't going away in the bullpen. He's a gas can. 

Totally agree. But let’s hope the mindset change and throwing way harder for an inning makes him effectively wild when off.  I’d like to see him touching 97-98 before I get excited

I'm not a huge fan of the move but if the Sox don't rule out the possibility of his returning to starting it makes some sense. The general benefit of moving a guy like this to the pen is you don't really make him work through the struggles anymore. The Sox have stated previously that they felt he was unable to turn around a bad start once it went bad. From a developmental perspective, if he too frequently gets out of whack with no ability to correct that same outing, it makes sense to put him in a role where you can painlessly pull him as soon as you see it's one of those days.

You can think of it like this: Practicing the right things will make you better, but practicing the wrong things makes you worse. The starting role may have been pushing him into endless repetitions of bad motions, bad thought processes, etc. You can nip that in the bud out of the pen.

That said, he still has a starter's repertoire so you might want to keep him on deck for some starts if he's doing well and the opportunity presents itself, sort of like the Chris Volstad role.

There are plenty of success stories of guys transitioning to the bullpen.

Fulmer has proven he can't make it as a starter so it's time to try the bullpen. 

I'm not sure he's shown anything to make anyone feel confident he'll be another success story.

Obviously, in shorter stints the stuff can improve, but will his command?

Really no surprise.  Most were clamoring that's where he should have been anyway...but I applaud the Sox for at least giving him a chance at being a starter...and also applaud Fulmer for embracing this opportunity. 

So everyone is already ready to give up on this kid as a starter after 13 career big league starts? Not all prospect development is linear and the kid is still just 24 and a former top ten pick. At the very least, the Sox should continue to let him start at AAA until Shields is traded and then let him start in the bigs for the rest of the year. 

Avi Garcia got 3 plus years and a thousand at bats as a sub replacement player before his breakout all star year. Shouldn't Fulmer at least get 25 or so starts before he is sent to the bullpen?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, tlongo81@gmail.com said:

So everyone is already ready to give up on this kid as a starter after 13 career big league starts? Not all prospect development is linear and the kid is still just 24 and a former top ten pick. At the very least, the Sox should continue to let him start at AAA until Shields is traded and then let him start in the bigs for the rest of the year. 

Avi Garcia got 3 plus years and a thousand at bats as a sub replacement player before his breakout all star year. Shouldn't Fulmer at least get 25 or so starts before he is sent to the bullpen?

No. He needs to prove he can get hitter’s out. The easiest way to do that now is in the bullpen. Not happening as a starter at this time

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DH in the NL said:

No. He needs to prove he can get hitter’s out. The easiest way to do that now is in the bullpen. Not happening as a starter at this time

This year and next are still tank years. The goal is to lose as many games as possible while letting the young prospects develop. I see no downside to letting Fulmer continue to start at Charlotte and then bringing him in September once Shields is gone.

Give the kid some time to figure it out. The Sox thought so highly of him that they used a top ten pick on him. Let the kid develop at his own pace!!!

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, tlongo81@gmail.com said:

He got a lot more starts at AAA, and he wasn't effective there, either.

22 minutes ago, tlongo81@gmail.com said:

Substitute Moncada for Fulmer.