Seattle has been scouting Soria/Avilan

ChiSoxJon

the kahnle addition was brilliant.  Dude was a supernova.  He exploded briefly and then went dark.  The over under on his career WAR from this point on is probably 1.  Relievers.  Are.  Fungible.

Sox should have zero qualms adding cost controlled relievers into any trade.  They only really have Fry with any value but if a club wants him, then yea, not a stumbling block.

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

The Mariners are in free fall.  Dipoto is an a tough spot and has shown in the past he has zero qualms about gutting the farm to get who he wants.  They don't have much of a farm left to sell but the Sox could really take advantage here.

They could also be scouting Narveaz their catching is atrocious both guys are hitting below the mendoza line.

1 minute ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I guess I would take RF Julio Rodriguez and RP Matt Festa????

Their system is really quite bad, it's hard to even find names with an age that would line up well for us.

Their system is beyond horrible.  Just looking at it reminds me why we had to rebuild in the first place.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Their system is beyond horrible.  Just looking at it reminds me why we had to rebuild in the first place.

agreed.  Also...I've always wondered why baseball doesn't include draft picks in trades?  In terms of a trade with Seattle...it's probably the most valuable assets they have.

4 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I guess I would take RF Julio Rodriguez and RP Matt Festa????

Their system is really quite bad, it's hard to even find names with an age that would line up well for us.

For both of them? I would need more but yeah one of the things their weak farm does allow though is to maybe get more then you would otherwise because they don't really have the kind of depth to put out an attractive offer with their other prospects then their top guys.

While teams like the Yanks who have depth can trade around the periphery of the guys they want to keep. Seems counter-intuitive but it's not.

Edited by wrathofhahn

2 minutes ago, Wanne said:

agreed.  Also...I've always wondered why baseball doesn't include draft picks in trades?  In terms of a trade with Seattle...it's probably the most valuable assets they have.

Including draft picks in trades would certainly make things very interesting. I scoured the Seattle farm system and found shockingly little that would interest me in a trade.

Outside of: Lewis (big time maybe at this point if he has much value), White, Carlson, Rodriguez, Festa, Mills, Querecuto, Elledge...that is pretty much it. It's a really thin farm, seriously lacking in both pitching and position player talent. 

I'm struggling to find much even worth trading for. I think another contender would pretty easily be able to best a Seattle offer. 

Just now, steveno89 said:

Including draft picks in trades would certainly make things very interesting. I scoured the Seattle farm system and found shockingly little that would interest me in a trade.

Outside of: Lewis (big time maybe at this point if he has much value), White, Carlson, Rodriguez, Festa, Mills, Querecuto, Elledge...that is pretty much it. It's a really thin farm, seriously lacking in both pitching and position player talent. 

I'm struggling to find much even worth trading for. I think another contender would pretty easily be able to best a Seattle offer. 

They could but we are talking Soria and possibly Avilian not Q or a frontline guy. Rodriguez is a good prospect. Querecuto is a good prospect. Carlson has had tommy john. If you threw those three together in a package could a contending beat it? Probably. Would they? Likely not.

16 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

That would result in teams with bad farm systems AND no draft picks. 
That would bury teams with bad front offices for 10 years instead of 5.

21 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Not sure why league needs to guarantee this. Say an org mortgages future and it fails. When the new team comes in they can sell what they have to recoup draft picks or minor league players.

57 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think packaging players is fine and I the way to go, but we gave up three good players in that Yankees trade year including a cost-controlled high upside arm in Kahnle.  Adding Shields to a Soria trade doesn’t move the needle enough IMo.  I think our best chance of landing a pretty good prospect is adding someone like Sanchez or Leury or even Avi (if value can be had) to the mix.

The Red Sox for example could still use bullpen & 2B help and a packagd built around Groome for Yolmer & Soria would be awfully attractive to me.

The Phillies could use Avi & Soria and might be willing to give up Medina.

I would doubt the Red Sox would want Yolmer.  They have Holt) and Nunez filling in for Pedroia. I do think they would want Soria although I think they would prefer a lefty 

28 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

They're still buried now though, aren't they? A bad farm system means you can't trade for impact players to put you over the top. You can only hope to sign free agents (which costs you draft picks) or hope to get lucky in the lower-end free agent or trade market.

3 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

huh, I knew this applied to draftees, what is the logic behind this rule?

Its basically so teams can't get around the not trading draft picks by just agreeing to trades in principle and then confirming them after the draft. There used to be a loophole where a recently drafted player that should not be allowed to be traded was traded as a PTBNL in a trade. It happened to Dansby Swanson  Trea Turner and everyone knew it so it was weird when he was playing for the team that drafted him for two months when he knew he was actually heading to the Braves Nats as soon as he was allowed to be traded. 

Edited by GenericUserName
Mixed up the Dansby Swanson and Trea Turner trades.
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

Its basically so teams can't get around the not trading draft picks by just agreeing to trades in principle and then confirming them after the draft. There used to be a loophole where a recently drafted player that should not be allowed to be traded was traded as a PTBNL in a trade. It happened to Dansby Swanson and everyone knew it so it was weird when he was playing for the team that drafted him for two months when he knew he was actually heading to the Braves as soon as he was allowed to be traded. 

I think you're thinking of Trea Turner, not Dansby.