7/25 Games

soxfan49

http://www.milb.com/scoreboard/index.jsp?cid=&lid=&org=145&sc=&sid=milb&t=affiliate&ymd=20180725

Cease AND Kopech take the ball tonight (fwiw, I almost think if Kopech has another good start, which would be 3 in a row IIRC, he'll be promoted)

Another scheduled DH for Kannapolis.

DZL is under way and Rodriguez is in the lineup.

Edited by soxfan49

• bmags pinned this topic
42 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

http://www.milb.com/scoreboard/index.jsp?cid=&lid=&org=145&sc=&sid=milb&t=affiliate&ymd=20180725

Cease AND Kopech take the ball tonight (fwiw, I almost think if Kopech has another good start, which would be 3 in a row IIRC, he'll be promoted)

I agree with the bolded. Seems like if he rocks this start tonight, he will have developed as much as possible in AAA.

42 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

You might be right.  Just seems like they’re planning on calling up both Kopech & Jimenez by the start of August.

Baseball is obviously a very arbitrary game but I watched WS a week ago and came away very impressed with Rutherford. The guy has a great swing, uses the whole field and here’s. The clincher- he looks like a ball player. I read here a few months ago that he is weak. He’s not weak. He hits the ball hard. Right now he’s a slasher but I’m pretty sure he can go deep on a regular basis if he put his mind to it. 

By the way there are a lot of guys on WS that look like they can play. They look more talented than the Charlotte guys and maybe a lot of the Birmingham guys.

11 minutes ago, runtheballdown said:

Baseball is obviously a very arbitrary game but I watched WS a week ago and came away very impressed with Rutherford. The guy has a great swing, uses the whole field and here’s. The clincher- he looks like a ball player. I read here a few months ago that he is weak. He’s not weak. He hits the ball hard. Right now he’s a slasher but I’m pretty sure he can go deep on a regular basis if he put his mind to it. 

By the way there are a lot of guys on WS that look like they can play. They look more talented than the Charlotte guys and maybe a lot of the Birmingham guys.

He’s going to make all the publications that completely jumped ship after his rough stint with the Sox last year look foolish.  The kid is going to start the 2019 season as a 21 year old in AA and to me has the frame to add significant muscle in the coming years.  It’s going to take some time, but he has chance of being a pretty damn good OF.  Just too bad his arm limits him to LF, but not the end of the world by any means.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

He’s going to make all the publications that completely jumped ship after his rough stint with the Sox last year look foolish.  The kid is going to start the 2019 season as a 21 year old in AA and to me has the frame to add significant muscle in the coming years.  It’s going to take some time, but he has chance of being a pretty damn good OF.  Just too bad his arm limits him to LF, but not the end of the world by any means.

It sure as heck sounds like his arm is a plus tool from his teammates and futuresox reports.

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

It sure as heck sounds like his arm is a plus tool from his teammates and futuresox reports.

Rutherford?  BA & Fangraphs both grade it below average, whereas MLBPipeline has it as a 50.  I have seen a few times this year and while it didn’t seem bad by any means, it’s certainly not plus to my untrained eye.

27 minutes ago, runtheballdown said:

Power is usually the last thing that comes for a lot of prospects. I thought there was an article a couple months ago that him and Yelich were close and Rutherford gets pointers from him all the time. I could see him being a Yelich type of player when he makes it to the big leagues.

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Rutherford?  BA & Fangraphs both grade it below average, whereas MLBPipeline has it as a 50.  I have seen a few times this year and while it didn’t seem bad by any means, it’s certainly not plus to my untrained eye.

The arm grade on Blake is one of those odd things where you can find reports all over the place. I've seen one BA writer in an article call it above average, but their tool grade in rankings puts it below. MLBP as you said calls it 50, which is average. I personally called it above average in my looks for FS.

My guess for the discrepancy: His arm STRENGTH is average at best. But I've seen him doing outfield drills twice where he was putting on an absolute clinic for hitting a target glove. Highly accurate, compared to his peers like Adolfo or Basabe who have cannons but not nearly the accuracy. For me, that should be part of the picture. For others, I think they just go with strength.

• Like 2

The "looks like a ballplayer" tag has been on Rutherford since the beginning.  Finally his production is matching the fluff.  Don't get me wrong there is something to the "looks like a ballplayer" stuff but it's just fluff if the dude can't actually produce.

I just hope he can be a 280/350/480 type in his prime, with solid defense in RF.  That would a great outcome from that trade.

3 minutes ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

The arm grade on Blake is one of those odd things where you can find reports all over the place. I've seen one BA writer in an article call it above average, but their tool grade in rankings puts it below. MLBP as you said calls it 50, which is average. I personally called it above average in my looks for FS.

My guess for the discrepancy: His arm STRENGTH is average at best. But I've seen him doing outfield drills twice where he was putting on an absolute clinic for hitting a target glove. Highly accurate, compared to his peers like Adolfo or Basabe who have cannons but not nearly the accuracy. For me, that should be part of the picture. For others, I think they just go with strength.

I can totally buy that assessment and I agree it should be part of the equation.  But technically speaking, I think the scouting grades are more focused on pure arm strength and from that standpoint it’s certainly not plus IMO.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

I can totally buy that assessment and I agree it should be part of the equation.  But technically speaking, I think the scouting grades are more focused on pure arm strength and from that standpoint it’s certainly not plus IMO.

This is an interesting discussion. For me, scouting grades should be about SKILL, not TOOL. This can be reflected by PV vs FV, in part, but some outlets don't make that distinction either.

For arm, the tool is the ability to throw hard/far. The skill is getting the ball to the right spot (for a tag or base touch by the receiver) in the least time, which is a function of arm strength, foot work and accuracy. For that grade, I'd put a 55 on Rutherford. If it is just arm strength, then I'd agree he's certainly not plus or even above average, so maybe 45.

1 minute ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

This is an interesting discussion. For me, scouting grades should be about SKILL, not TOOL. This can be reflected by PV vs FV, in part, but some outlets don't make that distinction either.

For arm, the tool is the ability to throw hard/far. The skill is getting the ball to the right spot (for a tag or base touch by the receiver) in the least time, which is a function of arm strength, foot work and accuracy. For that grade, I'd put a 55 on Rutherford. If it is just arm strength, then I'd agree he's certainly not plus or even above average, so maybe 45.

Interesting, I'd think that's a minority position among most scouts.  The old adage "you can teach a guy footwork but can't teach a hose" thinking.  Scouts will always over rate a guy that can throw it through the wall because it seems they almost always envision easy fixes fundamentally on accuracy.

I'm inclined to, at least for arm, lean more towards your position.  Arm accuracy isn't something you can easily teach at the high levels.  Some guys just don't have it.

1 hour ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

I played with a couple guys whose arm in the outfield played much better than a radar gun would have made you think. As you mention, accuracy was a big part of it since being off target by a little bit will cost all the time saved by throwing harder and usually more than that. The other thing about those guys in my experience is they threw very straight balls with pure backspin. I'm not a physicist, but it sure seemed to me that these throws played better than their nominal top velocity because they didn't have to travel as far (because they didn't have to hook/slice on the way to the target) and didn't decelerate as much in the air. Those things also make the accuracy part easier to accomplish.

Dash lost in the 11th after scoring 4 in the 9th to tie it. Tyler Johnson 2 scoreless innings.

That team seems like they never feel like they're out of it. As CWS said, the Birmingham lineup will be very fun next year. I wonder if Vizquel moves up to AA with them.

I think I'd prefer he just move up to MLB, but the sox might feel like its too soon to fire Ricky considering they didnt give him a competitive team to work with. 

16 minutes ago, joejoedairy said:

Dash lost in the 11th after scoring 4 in the 9th to tie it. Tyler Johnson 2 scoreless innings.

That team seems like they never feel like they're out of it. As CWS said, the Birmingham lineup will be very fun next year. I wonder if Vizquel moves up to AA with them.

I think I'd prefer he just move up to MLB, but the sox might feel like its too soon to fire Ricky considering they didnt give him a competitive team to work with. 

I hope this part happens. Omar definitely wants to be a manager in the bigs eventually. The Dash players love playing for him. Seeing how that’s were much of our hitting is at right now it would be beneficial to have Omar manage and develop with these guys all the way up to the majors. 

Edited by DH in the NL

48 minutes ago, DH in the NL said:

I hope this part happens. Omar definitely wants to be a manager in the bigs eventually. The Dash players love playing for him. Seeing how that’s were much of our hitting is at right now it would be beneficial to have Omar manage and develop with these guys all the way up to the majors. 

Can the posters here handle another former Sox player as a manager?