7/25 Games

soxfan49

30 minutes ago, Hot FiRe said:

Tbh the sale trade looks like it could be a glowing success for both teams. I hope Sale wins a WS with the bosox and a combination of  kopech/moncada/basabe win a WS with the white sox. 

Or how about he loses with the Red Sox and then comes home to win one with his new pals, Yoan, Michael, & Luis.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I think you let Cease finish the year in AA unless he continues this ridiculous pace, but I expect minor regression. Then either start him in AAA next year or I guess give him a couple AAA starts this year to get his feet wet like we did with Kopech last year. 

That's what I mean, he should probably spend August in AAA, get a handful of starts there this year, and know that that's his starting point in 2019, with a chance to get to MLB by the end of the season.

1 hour ago, Heads22 said:

I agree with what fathom has said in the past that Dylan hasn't been getting the love from the larger prospect circles. Hopefully this season helps to take away from the notion that his most likely ending up point is as a closer. Frankly, he should be rocketing up rankings lists. The eye test certainly matches the results. Also, his 1-10 record last year should help to prove how little minor league win-loss should ever matter.

I was on the Cease bandwagon long before when we acquired him. What he's doing right now isn't shocking to me personally. 

1 hour ago, DH in the NL said:

It’s a small sample size, but Ian Dawkins is 13 for 26 in Kanny and he hit well in Great Falls. Is this someone to keep an eye on, or just a guy?

He strikes out at a high rate and hasn't walked much. It is very few games but it doesn't bode well.

7 hours ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Something that's not been discussed a lot is Cease's improved durability this year. Last year he had trouble getting out of 5 innings but this year he's consistently getting into 6 and 7th innings and without facing a lot of issues. Also he has eclipsed his career high of 93 IP in a season tonight and looks like he still going strong.

Yes exactly. Despite the struggles of Kopech, ceases year this year mirrors Kopechs excellent 2017. A year that started with ambitions to just throw a full year and stay healthy ended with him very close to the majors.

2019 is now expected for me to see cease, barring injury. Would not have said that this winter.

9 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The reality is that Sale could provide the Red Sox 24 WAR for about $40M plus should get a comp pick if/when he leaves.  That’s a good $150M in surplus value.

Having said that, if Moncada & Kopech are both 4 WAR players over the course of their period of control, we’re talking about nearly 50 WAR in return.  And no one should be surprised if one of them becomes an absolute stud and blows that projection out of the water.  That doesn’t even include Basabe, who has a chance to be a pretty good player himself.  I would say as things stands right now, we’ll likely end up with significantly more value than the Red Sox.  That doesn’t mean the trade was lopsided necessarily, but hopefully we can consider it a sure fire win from our perspective.

If you trade Moncada for Mike Trout, would that be considered a win for the Angels?

At some point the surplus value analysis becomes less black and white, especially when you’re analyzing the value of elite players on a reasonable contract, because you have to spend your money somewhere, you couldn’t fill a team of pre-arb players.

• Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

If you trade Moncada for Mike Trout, would that be considered a win for the Angels?

At some point the surplus value analysis becomes less black and white, especially when you’re analyzing the value of elite players on a reasonable contract, because you have to spend your money somewhere, you couldn’t fill a team of pre-arb players.

I don’t disagree with anything you say and am not shitting on the trade from the Red Sox perspective.  They got an rare & elite talent during their window and I’m sure they view the deal as a win for them.  Having said that, Sale wasn’t going to win here before he hit FA so swapping him out for value during our next projected window made all the sense in the world. The fact we’ll likely end up with more overall WAR (and hopefully substantially more) makes the deal a sure fire win from our perspective.

Chris Sale is a top 3 pitcher right when Boston is in a prime winning window.  It's already a win for 
Boston; the question is whether it also becomes a win for the Sox; it should, and hopefully it becomes a big win, but that's to be determined.
You can't just add up WARs anyway;  otherwise, trading Mike Trout for 2 5-WAR Adam Eatons would be a good trade. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GreenSox said:

Chris Sale is a top 3 pitcher right when Boston is in a prime winning window.  It's already a win for 
Boston; the question is whether it also becomes a win for the Sox; it should, and hopefully it becomes a big win, but that's to be determined.
You can't just add up WARs anyway;  otherwise, trading Mike Trout for 2 5-WAR Adam Eatons would be a good trade. 

I agree with this mostly. How Sale performs in the post season is a caveat to it. 

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t disagree with anything you say and am not shitting on the trade from the Red Sox perspective.  They got an rare & elite talent during their window and I’m sure they view the deal as a win for them.  Having said that, Sale wasn’t going to win here before he hit FA so swapping him out for value during our next projected window made all the sense in the world. The fact we’ll likely end up with more overall WAR (and hopefully substantially more) makes the deal a sure fire win from our perspective.

I agree from the Sox perspective this is a winning trade. However, you cant say the trade is lopsided in favor of the Sox (which was the original comment made) if Red Sox came away with the best or second best pitcher in AL on a cost controlled contract, who aligns exactly to their competing window.

14 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Cease is on fire.  He’s going to be a top 40 prospect by the end of the season if he keeps this up.

Ace potential, handling AA insanely well

14 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

If we get 1 solid MLB starter out of Cease and Dunning, would you consider that a success? 

Of course however I feel Dunning's basement is solid and Cease can be elite

12 hours ago, turnin' two said:

I kind of disagree with this as Sale has to be the favorite to win the Cy Young at this point.  

Seconded, even trade even if Basabe pans out

11 hours ago, DirtySox said:

Bush 2-3 with a 2B. Hitting .393.

Awesome seeing a HSer handle pro ball this well this early