Updated MLB Pipeline Top 100/Team Top 30

Jose Abreu

Seven top 100 prospect,Ā including five top 50. Ā Thatā€™s not too shabby, but Iā€™m going to whine anyways because I donā€™t see how Basabe doesnā€™t make the cut but Kyle Lewis does? Ā Basabe is a year young and has greatly outproduced Lewis to date. Ā And Iā€™m not sure the tools are that much different to be honest. Ā Basabe may have a little less power, but he makes up for that in speed. Ā I just donā€™t see what Basabe has to do to crack one of these lists. Ā I also think itā€™s nuts Hansen has fallen completely off the list, but Iā€™m willing to give that more of a pass given how bad heā€™s been since coming back from injury.

The sox top 30 was updated as well. Of note:

Hansen down to 10, I guess it makes sense at this point. He'll bounce back though.

Steele Walker at 12

Gonzalez up to 14

Pilkington at 18

Laz Rivera in there at 27

Stiever at 28

Ā 

Interesting to see how it will compareĀ to Futuresox top 30

7 minutes ago, joejoedairy said:

Hansen down to 10, I guess it makes sense at this point. He'll bounce back though.

Steele Walker at 12

Gonzalez up to 14

Pilkington at 18

Stiever at 28

Ā 

the top 30 is as deep as it has been in quite some time. Each of those players has a legitimate chance of becoming a major league player.Ā 

13 minutes ago, joejoedairy said:

Steele Walker at 12

Gonzalez up to 14

Pilkington at 18

Stiever at 28

Ā 

I'll value Future Sox more, this seems kind of lazy

43 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Seven top 100 prospect,Ā including five top 50. Ā Thatā€™s not too shabby, but Iā€™m going to whine anyways because I donā€™t see how Basabe doesnā€™t make the cut but Kyle Lewis does? Ā Basabe is a year young and has greatly outproduced Lewis to date. Ā And Iā€™m not sure the tools are that much different to be honest. Ā Basabe may have a little less power, but he makes up for that in speed. Ā I just donā€™t see what Basabe has to do to crack one of these lists. Ā I also think itā€™s nuts Hansen has fallen completely off the list, but Iā€™m willing to give that more of a pass given how bad heā€™s been since coming back from injury.

To be fair, I think most people don't think Basabe is an everyday CF, so if they are both corner OF guys, then the power is more important than the speed. And I would say Lewis has a good amount more raw power than Basabe.Ā 

7 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

To be fair, I think most people don't think Basabe is an everyday CF, so if they are both corner OF guys, then the power is more important than the speed. And I would say Lewis has a good amount more raw power than Basabe.Ā 

Iā€™m not sure thatā€™s really the case. Ā I mean, he just started for the World Team in CF at the Futures Game. Ā Iā€™ve watched him quite a bit and while he may never be elite out there, he seems to have all the ability in the world to play a solid CF.

3 hours ago, joejoedairy said:

Steele Walker at 12

Gonzalez up to 14

Pilkington at 18

Stiever at 28

Ā 

Medeiros checks in at #19 now.Ā 

Just now, KrankinSox said:

Jesus Luzardo #12. If I remember correctly, Sox had a deal in place for Luzardo and a catching prospect (name escaping me) for Robertson. Nats' ownership nixed the deal at the final stage.

that is correct, and hurts in retrospect

Edited by fathom

3 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

On a somewhat related note, from Keith Law's chat today:

Ā 

Ā 

won't let me link it, but he also answered a question about 2016 Sox draft class. Ā Was extremely down on Sheets but seemed to have been optimistic about Burger if injuries didn't happen.

18 minutes ago, fathom said:

won't let me link it, but he also answered a question about 2016 Sox draft class. Ā Was extremely down on Sheets but seemed to have been optimistic about Burger if injuries didn't happen.

I get being down on Sheets, not a lot of space for a 1B that hasn't showed pop.Ā  Not that I am down on him, mind you as he has shown pretty well, but if the power doesn't come, I get not buying into his prospect status.Ā Ā 

15 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Repeat after me; power is the last tool to show.

In theory I agree, but Sheets is someone with his size and pedigree that has no excuses for such a bad power showing so far. Ā I remember before the draft that some scouts were concerned about drafting the two Wake Forest sluggers, just can't remember why.

29 minutes ago, fathom said:

In theory I agree, but Sheets is someone with his size and pedigree that has no excuses for such a bad power showing so far. Ā I remember before the draft that some scouts were concerned about drafting the two Wake Forest sluggers, just can't remember why.

Why doesnā€™t he get excused? Ā What if he hits a buncha homers next year? Ā Would that be ok?