Danish & Vieira called up, Volstad DFA'd

Sleepy Harold

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

I just don’t think playing service time games with relievers is necessary.  I’d get him up this year and let him start developing into a back-end of the pen anchor.

I wouldn't be upset or anything, but there are several relievers in AAA I'd call up before him (Viera and Danish (both of whom are now here), Bummer, and Fulmer) .

Hamilton was in A+ a year ago.  He's had 11 appearances in AAA. It's not insane to let him finish the year in AAA with the expectation that he'll in the pen in Chicago to start next season, or one of the first few up from AAA. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I just don’t think playing service time games with relievers is necessary.  I’d get him up this year and let him start developing into a back-end of the pen anchor.

It is not service time but 40 man roster issues.  He doesn't need to be protected until 2019.  Danish 2018, so Danish is getting a last chance to stay on the roster or be exposed.

23 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Kinda figured Hamilton before Danish, but good for Tyler in getting himself back to Chicago. 

Voldstad was required to pitch multi-inning stints, for which Danish is better suited. Glad Danish has had a bounce back year, he could be a very useful multi-inning bullpen piece for the Sox in the future. 

12 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I hope Ryan Burr and Jose Ruiz take the open bullpen spots in AAA. They are due for promotions 

I hope so also.  Both are rule 5 eligible this off season if not protected so makes sense to challenge them.

6 minutes ago, BamaDoc said:

It is not service time but 40 man roster issues.  He doesn't need to be protected until 2019.  Danish 2018, so Danish is getting a last chance to stay on the roster or be exposed.

I don’t think there will be 40 man roster problems this offseason and I’m fairly confident Hamilton will be on the team early next year if not sooner.  He doesn’t have much left to prove in the minors.

7 minutes ago, BamaDoc said:

Pretty sure Danish was already exposed once when Sox removed him from the 40 man.

Tyler seems like a good kid, and I wish him well.  Hope he does well and sticks this time.  I think he could be an effective multi-inning reliever.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t think there will be 40 man roster problems this offseason and I’m fairly confident Hamilton will be on the team early next year if not sooner.  He doesn’t have much left to prove in the minors.

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Pretty sure Danish was already exposed once when Sox removed him from the 40 man.

Tyler seems like a good kid, and I wish him well.  Hope he does well and sticks this time.  I think he could be an effective multi-inning reliever.

Look at my take on the 40 man in the other thread.  It means you expose another player from this list:

That means you keep four of Guerrero, Danish, at AAA currently and could get trials this year. AA players Polo, Burr, Mendick, Ruiz.  At A+  Forbes

So you would protect three of the above instead of four if Hamilton promoted.  As far as Danish, I don't know what we have in him.  When he was taken off the roster, he was pitching poorly.  Now some think he may be useful.  Would someone take a chance on him for 50k?  Maybe.  Give him his chance and let his performance answer the question.

Just now, pcq said:

Given Volstad's performance his pitching time is better used on guys who might have a  role next year. Danish and Adams could hold spots in the pen and do no worse. 

I think they want to keep Adams in the rotation for now.  But point remains.  Volstad outstayed his welcome by a couple months. 

8 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Thank God for small favors with Volstad but I have a feeling that like Minaya, nobody is going to want the stiff, he'll be sent to Charlotte and continue to be an option for the Sox big league roster. With the same results.

Minaya and Volstad are not even close to being on the same hemisphere.

Prior to his last outting, Minaya had actually been quite good since he was recalled.  He's also 5 years younger than Volstad.  

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Thank God for small favors with Volstad but I have a feeling that like Minaya, nobody is going to want the stiff, he'll be sent to Charlotte and continue to be an option for the Sox big league roster. With the same results.

You are taking placeholders way too seriously.  Volstad job was quite literally to save the Sox from having to rush up someone with a future, nothing more.  As guys like Vieira and Hamilton are ready for Chicago, guys like Volstad hit the bricks. That is how this process works. 

4 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Or you can even get a look in September and have him open next year in the minors.

Edited by soxfan2014

So what's the deal with Vieira? Started the season struggling terribly with walks, but in the past 2 months-ish has really cut back on the walks. In spite of not many walks, they've still been scoring on him. So how does he look? What are they hitting?