Victor Victor Mesa & Victor Jr sign with the Marlins

Sleepy Harold

14 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Lol, of all teams....

Seriously haha. I guess this is a good scenario for us because we don't really have to worry about a good team getting him and maybe at some point we can get him from the Orioles. I wonder if his brother is also already cleared and if he is going to the Orioles as well. 

1 minute ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I'm not buying this yet, guys. Seems like a leak to me. Victor Victor hasn't been cleared yet and hasn't even held a showcase. It could end up being Baltimore but it doesn't make a ton of sense right now. 

It does seem strange, especially when it was reported he should have a showcase in a month or so, but Craig Mish said he is hearing the same thing. There was also an update article about him earlier today that didn't say this, but maybe they put it out because they were hearing something. And I guess skipping doing the showcase is explainable if the Orioles are giving him their full pool because they have like $5mil and he might realize he probably won't get more than that anyway. The not hearing about being cleared does play to your point a bit though, but I don't really know why they would leak something like this.

1 minute ago, Sleepy Harold said:

I thought it was odd when it came out, but figured it was newsworthy nonetheless....here's the kibosh on that rumor.

This same article was posted earlier so its not a new update, but Sanchez saying he isn't signing with the Orioles is new. This is a weird situation. Two different reporters said he was signing with them, so I wonder where they got that information. 

18 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

This same article was posted earlier so its not a new update, but Sanchez saying he isn't signing with the Orioles is new. This is a weird situation. Two different reporters said he was signing with them, so I wonder where they got that information. 

Yeah everything about it seems very odd.  I guess time will tell and we'll see how it plays out.

Seems like a big signing that doesn't allow you to do much else with international signing would be the perfect thing for the Orioles to do. They aren't going to sign anyone else so at least take a shot on a guy that's infinitely more likely to make the major leagues than any 16 year old.

47 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Are the Sox after him?

Nothing official, but I feel like they would be if they didn't have the restrictions or if he waits/isn't cleared until next J2. He is very similar to Victor Robles and he is already 22 so he could probably go straight to AA. 

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I wonder if this is a case of tampering that the O's which is why the quick denial. 

That would be interesting and would seem to explain this whole thing. 

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, BigHurt3515 said:

I am going to assume we won't be players for these two?

I think there is some question about the younger brother. No one really knows how good he is or what kind of money he will be commanding. It is possible he could be had for $300K, but its likely even if he is only worth that much one of the teams with money left might swoop in and offer like $350K just to eliminate the penalized teams.

I think there is also a question about Gaston. He is a teenager that can sit high 90s and has touched 100, but has absolutely zero control. He was supposed to sign for over one million with the Marlins but I think they delayed that to see if they can get Mesa, but now that he is doing a showcase he might be back on the market though it may be similar to the younger Mesa in that even if he is only worth $300K he will probably he offered more.

So I guess its unlikely we get any of them, but I will be keeping an eye out for reports on the younger Mesa bro and Gaston. 

• 3 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

In the current signing period, we can't spend over $300k on one player.

Doesn't mean there current be a late riser, or someone from Cuba come along they could target in this range.  Or at worst, look to see what a team like Miami or Baltimore would be willing to give up for another half a million or so.