Lopez’s Perfect Game(thread)

I'd agree that Reynaldo looks like he's due for a little bonus rest if the Sox can buy some for him. His velocity varies so much within and between games that I don't know whether I should think it's because he's tired, consciously backing off, or what.

Reynaldo really has a lot of young Bartolo Colon to him. I wonder if he'd be better off trying to emulate that approach and simplifying things, just throwing the fastball and one chosen offspeed with a third pitch just once in a blue moon.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

He was throwing pitches in Charlotte and then just let him stop throwing a changeup & curve.  It’s poor player if I’ve ever seen it.

That's supposed to be the whole point of suffering through these 30 below .500 seasons.   Clear out the dugout in the offseason, Hahn.

1 minute ago, Jake said:

Reynaldo really has a lot of young Bartolo Colon to him. I wonder if he'd be better off trying to emulate that approach and simplifying things, just throwing the fastball and one chosen offspeed with a third pitch just once in a blue moon.

But the fastball doesn't miss bats.   That's a big problem when you don't have good offspeed pitches.

17 minutes ago, Scoots said:

Just turned game on. Why Coop and Renteria ejected?

The crew chief felt they were underperforming even with an underperforming roster so he told them to go home. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jake said:

Colon has elite command though, he can take the frosting off a cake with his fastball. Reylo not so much yet.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

But the fastball doesn't miss bats.   That's a big problem when you don't have good offspeed pitches.

Sure, but that's why I brought up Colon as a comparison because other than a brief time early in his career he wasn't a big strikeout guy but was able to be successful throwing 80%+ fastballs. Lopez might also find a little more success with his fastball if he could get himself ahead in the count a little more often, which is hard to do when he can hardly throw an offspeed pitch for a strike (not that he's pounding the zone with his fastball either).

Well they've hit the changeup pretty well, but the same could be said for his fastball. He's thrown 9 breaking balls, 8 of which were called balls. That's probably not helping him much.

That's the first time that pitch-tipping came to mind for me there. It's a very hittable hung curveball but you almost never see a guy go up and swing at that on 0-0 unless the pitcher has been throwing that pitch to start guys off throughout the game.