Sox and Jays Gamethread

7 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

No, whatever happens  the worst trade ever was the Cubs trading Lou Brock for Ernie Broglio followed by the A's trading Nellie Fox for Joe Tipton.

Shields for Tatis Jr. has a chance to be in the conversation if Tatis Jr. has the career some expect, as was Anderson for Bagwell.  After reviewing Bagwell's fangraphs page, I think that one wins.

Edited by fathom

28 minutes ago, Jake said:

Hard for me to understand what has changed recently with Moncada to make you question him, especially with regard to concerns about his ability to make contact:

Yoan_Moncada_»_Graphs_»_Average_»_Batting___FanGraphs_Baseball.png

I thought he'd figure it out and start being able to fight off close pitches and not swing and miss in the strike zone. That hasn't gone away. He seems to have a game or two in a row where he goes 2-4 or 3-5, followed by 5 games of 0 or 1 hit. 

I'm just starting to become frustrated because there are exactly 3 important players (Moncada/Giolito/Lopez)  with the big club this year and you can't pencil in any of them in the lineup/rotation for the foreseeable future, and the sample size is approaching statistical significance. At this point they're in "prove it" mode. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'm just starting to become frustrated because there are exactly 3 important players (Moncada/Giolito/Lopez)  with the big club this year and you can't pencil in any of them in the lineup/rotation for the foreseeable future, and the sample size is approaching statistical significance. At this point they're in "prove it" mode. 

Yoan looks like he's about to go into a slump again.  Pulling off the ball badly, causing him to foul off hittable pitches.  So far, the "first wave" of the rebuild has been disappointing.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Tony said:

They have all had disappointing seasons. But even if all three had positive 2018’s they would still be in “prove it” mode in 2019. Long way to go to see what these guys really are.

With Yoan, if he had a good year, it would have been off and running on his way to becoming a superstar IMO.

25 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Moncada might set the record for Ks in a season. 141 and it isnt August. Woof. 

Jack, Maybe Sox traded Sale for Kopech and Basabe, and Moncada and Diaz were throw-ins.

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

Moncada might set the record for Ks in a season. 141 and it isnt August. Woof. 

Dude is lighting up the K column. Very underwhelming first full season by the "former" number 1 prospect in baseball.

1 hour ago, oldsox said:

Jack, Maybe Sox traded Sale for Kopech and Basabe, and Moncada and Diaz were throw-ins.

I don't think so. Moncada was a centerpiece. I'm going to start a new thread about the disappointing first wave

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 hour ago, fathom said:

With Yoan, if he had a good year, it would have been off and running on his way to becoming a superstar IMO.

I don't see what's so wrong with a 2-3 WAR season from a raw 23 year old 2B. Not directed at you specifically but I don't know why people think he's having such a bad year. He isn't. 

13 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I don't see what's so wrong with a 2-3 WAR season from a raw 23 year old 2B. Not directed at you specifically but I don't know why people think he's having such a bad year. He isn't. 

The fact that he's probably going to set the MLB record for strikeouts in a single season isn't alarming to you? 

I don't think he's having a horrible season, but there isn't a lot to tell me that he's going to get any better either. He's average to slightly below at this point. He needs to prove that he's better than that. I still have hope that he is, but it is dwindling. He's not there yet, but he's on the precipice of becoming  one of those enigma players that oozes talent but can't put it all together to become anything other than slightly below average. Think the hitter version of Javier Vazquez. That is my concern currently. 

It doesn't change the fact that the 3 main rebuild pieces that are with the big club are only in Chicago because they have 1 option remaining. If Giolito, Lopez and Moncada had an extra option, they would have probably not been called up last year, and would be coming up just now. And if they did come up last year, Giolito and Moncada would have been in Charlotte long ago, and Lopez about late June. 

Edited by Jack Parkman