Can we get a Shields rumor?

southsider2k5

2 hours ago, turnin' two said:

If I am the Brewers, yeah I probably would.  None of their starters are going deep into games and their bullpen seems to be wearing down a bit.  They need a guy that can keep them in games into the 7th inning every now and then.  

I agree with this. The Brewers would be a decent option for Shields if they get desparate, and the Sox have actually been making some deals with the Brewers in recent history. They traded Saladino to Milwaukee this year, last year was it Jennings they traded for Cordell? And I think there is one more relatively recent trade they made but I'm not 100% on that one.

8 minutes ago, Scoots said:

I agree with this. The Brewers would be a decent option for Shields if they get desparate, and the Sox have actually been making some deals with the Brewers in recent history. They traded Saladino to Milwaukee this year, last year was it Jennings they traded for Cordell? And I think there is one more relatively recent trade they made but I'm not 100% on that one.

Soria

41 minutes ago, Scoots said:

Swarzak for Cordell. Jennings was dealt to Tampa. And the Soria deal last month as mentioned.

On 8/11/2018 at 7:15 PM, Jack Parkman said:

I really don't think any contender thinks that he can help any. If they're contending, he's about equal to what they have already in the back end of the rotation. He would have had to get his ERA below 4 to have any value whatsoever. 

There's always veteran guys with ERA's around league average that get moved. Especially those with a name like Shields carries. I realize he's fallen from his TB/KC days, but that whole name/experience thing does seem to get nibbles on pitchers past their prime. I mean, we moved Miguel Gonzalez last season. The Cubs traded for Hamels and his 4.72 ERA. Liriano was rather pitiful last season as a starter - Houston got him and stuck him in the bullpen... etc...

I mean, he's going to pitch 200 innings with respectable numbers. That has value on it's own. There's contenders who can use that at the back end, IMO. Teams have dealt for worse.

Edited by richig761

On 8/19/2018 at 3:07 PM, footlongcomiskeydog said:

Hopefully bringing Kopech up means Shields is either in the process of being traded or DFA'd. This guy has no future with the Sox. It is well past time for him to go away. 

Shields eats a ton of innings and he hasn't been terrible.  Money isn't an issue with him.  Unless he's traded, I would assume he'll be with the Sox through the season.  Beyond that, he's gone unless they buy him out and he comes back for very little.  He'll likely find another home, though.

1 hour ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

In a trade with the Cubs for Shields, what can we even expect back?

Maybe someone like SS Zack Short? 2B Luis Verdugo? CF Fernando Kelli, who is 20 and appears to be outrageously fast (108 SB in 170 minor league games)?

He's a SS and I would jump for joy if we were able to pull that off. Hell, I'll take Saul Vasquez at this point.

Edited by SoxAce

On 8/17/2018 at 12:15 PM, Kyyle23 said:

St Louis might be an option for Shields too.   I read that Carlos Martinez is going to the pen for the rest of the season, and they could use another arm.   Maybe they can get all crazy and trade for Avi too

A team like St.Louis would make sense for Shield in return for taking on his remaining salary (no prospects). Cardinals can probably use as much down the stretch to keep this moving although I wouldn't trust Shields in the least.

I wouldn't expect Shields going anywhere at this point. Garfien had a new Kopech podcast and said the Sox had Shields pick him up at the airport and show him the ropes around the stadium (including a game of catch) for 3 hours on Monday. The Sox also have Kopech's locker strategically in-between both Shields and Giolito. They clearly want Shields to be the go-to guy for advice. And before everyone jumps all over this with the "Shields sucks" posts - James Shields had an extremely successful pitching career. His time with the Sox may have been mediocre and disappointing, but he still has plenty of pitching knowledge that the younger guys can learn from. It's not the end of the world if he sticks through the rest of the season, and I honestly feel comfortable knowing the Sox have a guy that can eat up innings while the younger guys take their lumps and bruises as they all approach career highs in IP.

Edited by CWSpalehoseCWS
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I wouldn't expect Shields going anywhere at this point. Garfien had a new Kopech podcast and said the Sox had Shields pick him up at the airport and show him the ropes around the stadium (including a game of catch) for 3 hours on Monday. The Sox also have Kopech's locker strategically in-between both Shields and Giolito. They clearly want Shields to be the go-to guy for advice. And before everyone jumps all over this with the "Shields sucks" posts - James Shields had an extremely successful pitching career. His time with the Sox may have been mediocre and disappointing, but he still has plenty of pitching knowledge that the younger guys can learn from. It's not the end of the world if he sticks through the rest of the season, and I honestly feel comfortable knowing the Sox have a guy that can eat up innings while the younger guys take their lumps and bruises as they all approach career highs in IP.

Very well written. Even with all this, I still can see us trading him to a contender (Cubs, Oakland, etc) to try and get him another ring. Maybe, once his option is declined, we sign him to a one year Miguel Gonzalez deal to eat innings until Cease/Dunning are called up, or even hire him as a coach of some sort. 

8 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I still think that it is lack offers that is keeping Shields here, but it is very good news that the guy is a great teammate and teacher.

14 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I still think that it is lack offers that is keeping Shields here, but it is very good news that the guy is a great teammate and teacher.

With the expected announcement  next week that pitching coach Don Cooper will retire, sources say James Sheilds has emerged as the top candidate to replace him. 

1 hour ago, SCCWS said:

With the expected announcement  next week that pitching coach Don Cooper will retire, sources say James Sheilds has emerged as the top candidate to replace him. 

Wait, is this a known thing? Is Cooper really retiring? Why has this not been discussed more? or am I missing something?

On 8/23/2018 at 7:24 AM, southsider2k5 said:

I'm curious to see what the Sox do this winter with Shields. I fully expect the Sox to buy him out but wonder if they try to re-sign him or a ST invite to compete against Guerrero, Covey, Stephens for the final spot in the rotation. It would buy more time for Cease who needs to continue building up his innings next year.