Can we get a Shields rumor?

southsider2k5

On 8/26/2018 at 8:59 PM, BlackSox13 said:

I'm curious to see what the Sox do this winter with Shields. I fully expect the Sox to buy him out but wonder if they try to re-sign him or a ST invite to compete against Guerrero, Covey, Stephens for the final spot in the rotation. It would buy more time for Cease who needs to continue building up his innings next year.

Time to say good bye to Big Game James.

On 8/28/2018 at 7:18 AM, Dick Allen said:

Time to say good bye to Big Game James.

Yea like it hasn't been bad enough the past few years keeping him around as a constant reminder of how terrible that trade was.This is not to diminish his worth as an inning eater or semi coach to the young pitchers. He was originally acquire to boost slim playoff hopes. Once that failed and the rebuild started he's served a valuable purpose. Keep him in mind for future coach but I sure don't want him back as a player.

2 hours ago, GreenSox said:

The Shields trade was a massive failure in talent evaluation and negotiation.  Hopefully the evaluator/negotiator has improved his game.
And while I suspect it's largely FO spin,  if the Sox really need Shields around to help the young pitching, they need a new pitching coach.

I agree it was a massive failure in talent evaluation, but why negotiation?

1 hour ago, elrockinMT said:

My prediction is Big Game James is with the Sox in 2019

Initially I was thinking the Sox rolled with one of Stephens, Guerrero, Covey next year but now thinking Shields wouldn't be a bad idea to eat some innings and buy more time for Cease to develop. 

I wouldn't opposed to buying him out and offering a ST invite to compete for the open spot in the rotation.