Pirates get Archer

oldsox

7 minutes ago, BamaDoc said:

They are valuing him like an ace and I don't see it.  Increasing ERA for several years and decreasing WAR. 4.0, 2.1, 1.3 and .5 this year.  

He's the most overrated pitcher in baseball IMO. I would've said Sonny Gray before, but now people realize that he's not good

10 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

Because they want to compete at some point in his 3 years of control. Personally, I think deGrom makes more sense. Same control but better pitcher.

If the Padres are just wanting to give away prospects for high uncertainty talented pitchers, the Sox could send Rodon for Tatis Jr., Mejia, and Morejon.

2 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Seems like a crazy haul for Tampa. Wow

I don't know why those guys supposedly weren't on the table for Quintana during winter of 17 when he hadn't fallen apart yet, and was just coming off his best season but were on the table for Archer, who is a worse pitcher than Quintana was at that time. Seems weird to me. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't know why those guys supposedly weren't on the table for Quintana during winter of 17 when he hadn't fallen apart yet, and was just coming off his best season but were on the table for Archer, who is a worse pitcher than Quintana was at that time. 

This was a great haul by the Rays. Major overpayment by Pirates, imo.  

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

I don't know why those guys supposedly weren't on the table for Quintana during winter of 17 when he hadn't fallen apart yet, and was just coming off his best season but were on the table for Archer, who is a worse pitcher than Quintana was at that time. 

Glasnow has kind of fallen off and Meadows has had his injury problems

Just now, reiks12 said:

Ah, the two untouchables according to pirates fans. Dealt for a average pitcher who people only knew about because he played in the al east

To be fair...it is more that they dealt or a pitcher who hasn't been the same guy the past 2+ years. Prior to that, he was worth all of the hype out there.  

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Well, the simple answer is their stock has fallen since then. But yeah, the Sox definitely came out ahead in the whole process!

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

Because he was perceived to be better pitcher than Q at that time too, even if not justified by stats.  IF the various rumors on the Astros were to be believed, the guys we wanted from the Astros for Q (Musgrove et al) were offered for Archer with a little bit less for Q.  So if that serves as a proxy for that time frame, then it seems Pirates just decided to go for it.

Just now, heirdog said:

Because he was perceived to be better pitcher than Q at that time too, even if not justified by stats.  IF the various rumors on the Astros were to be believed, the guys we wanted from the Astros for Q (Musgrove et al) were offered for Archer with a little bit less for Q.  So if that serves as a proxy for that time frame, then it seems Pirates just decided to go for it.

At that time, Archer had an extra year of control, so it makes sense.