Pirates get Archer

oldsox

4 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Eloy >>> Meadows without a doubt. 

Despite his defensive shortcomings, his bat has the potential to be a special weapon. a 60/65 hit tool combined with 70+ power is similar to what Giancarlo Stanton is, an offensive force. 

Cease's improvement puts him certainly ahead of Glasnow in value for me. Younger, and more likely to remain in the rotation. 

Not arguing Cease/Glasnow. I was just reading Fangraphs and they were talking about Meadows having to move to LF. If true, then this is no longer as close as I thought it was. In fact, it isn't close at all. I was under the impression that Meadows was a plus defender in CF. Good job on the Pirates to cash in on severely depreciating assets. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, tlongo81@gmail.com said:

Nice to see the Pirates showing some balls for once and going for it.

Archer has good stuff and might thrive with a switch to the NL.

I have Archer in my 30 team dynasty league, and I'm certainly happy he is out of the AL East. His peripherals of 3.62 FIP/xFIP indicate he has pitched pretty well. Could really improve pitching in the easier NL. 

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

It will be interesting to watch in coming seasons. We'll see. Not arguing Cease/Glasnow. I was just reading Fangraphs and they were talking about Meadows having to move to LF. If true, then this is no longer as close as I thought it was. In fact, it isn't close at all. I was under the impression that Meadows was a plus defender in CF. Good job on the Pirates to cash in on severely depreciating assets. 

I don't ever remember hearing of Meadows as a plus CF, my memory is of them thinking he would take over Marte's LF spot and Marte would take over CF once McCutchen departed. 

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Small sample size but Meadows has been beyond horrible defensively in his stint with the Pirates.

Wow. Makes me feel even more dumb. if both Meadows and Jimenez are bad at defense, then it is clear who the better player is. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

4 hours ago, tlongo81@gmail.com said:

Nice to see the Pirates showing some balls for once and going for it.

Archer has good stuff and might thrive with a switch to the NL.

You know what would really help them go for it? Not trading your ace this past offseason for scraps.

It's good for them to make a move, but being a Pirates fan has gotta be tough, perpetually stuck in mediocrity with another rich owner crying cheap. 

17 hours ago, bighurt574 said:

Not a bad deal for Pittsburgh.

Glasnow and Meadows aren't worth what they were a year ago.

Neither is Archer I suppose, but he has a track record at least.  

Glasnow is being used as a reliever if it's a reliever and Meadows they won the deal.

On 7/31/2018 at 4:57 PM, Jack Parkman said:

Wow. Makes me feel even more dumb. if both Meadows and Jimenez are bad at defense, then it is clear who the better player is. 

Meadows isn't near the prospect as Jimenez but 49 games isn't enough of a datapoint to use advanced stats. Also Meadows played CF in the minors.

Pitt dimensions are pretty tough as well. The major difference is Jimenez has so much more power. He's got 30-40HR pop. Meadows is more of a 15-20 guy. Meadows sort of has to play CF to be a hugely impactful guy. Jimenez doesn't his bat plays anywhere.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...