Official 2018-19 NFL Thread

If yesterday’s game is a preview of what’s to come from the new helmet rule then the NFL has some big problems. That was unwatchable at times last night and it had nothing to do with the level of talent playing.

3 hours ago, TheTruth05 said:

If yesterday’s game is a preview of what’s to come from the new helmet rule then the NFL has some big problems. That was unwatchable at times last night and it had nothing to do with the level of talent playing.

I didn't watch the game, but a lot of people were talking about the helmet rule.  Was there a lot of penalties being called?

45 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

I didn't watch the game, but a lot of people were talking about the helmet rule.  Was there a lot of penalties being called?

Mostly the inconsistency that this rule is gonna bring to the field, with alot of borderline calls getting called and a few clear ones being missed. It's going to become even more noticeable when the games get faster,tougher in the regular season. Not to mention the review on some of these will bog the games down.

I wish the NFL before hamfisting this in would have experimented with something like giving each players a grade after each week. "A" for all clean hits, "B", "C", etc.

Let teams know which players are best at this, provide data that the better tackling players are better for their own health on the field. 

Do financial incentives, allow highly graded players to get an additional amount that doesn't count toward salary cap.

I would argue that these would be just as effective, or at least more effective than now, as the suspensions/penalties and would not impact the on field product.

• Like 1

I think the preseason is gonna be a mess with the helmet rule, but once the season starts it will scale back and will not be so visible.   It seems like this happens with every rule change (the process of the catch, targeting, DB holding rules).

It is always a panic nightmare in the preseason

29 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I think the preseason is gonna be a mess with the helmet rule, but once the season starts it will scale back and will not be so visible.   It seems like this happens with every rule change (the process of the catch, targeting, DB holding rules).

but two of those three are still really bad in season.

16 minutes ago, bmags said:

but two of those three are still really bad in season.

They aren’t nearly as bad as they were when it all started to be installed.  

We we aren’t gonna agree with the rules, they are enforced and ignored seemingly randomly and unevenly at best.   The only thing we can ask for is that they don’t take over the entire games 

I think it's sad that for at least 10 years now (and probably more) 95% of the coverage of the NFL has to do with rule changes, bad calls in games and protests. Very little that happens on-field is discussed. It's one of the reasons the NFL has fallen way down in the list of priorities for me (along with the Bears being terrible again for a long stretch). I just don't care about this stuff and i'm tired of talking about it. What fun is watching the game when inevitably there are 8-10 plays that are reviewed and discussed to death, grinding any momentum of the game to a halt?

i'm not sure why the NFL ever opened the player safety flood gates. This is going to be a never ending quest that is impossible to finish. It's a violent game. Period. It always has been. Just go play. You've made some common sense rules about defenseless players and targeting and the like. That's great. Enough with this interpretation and intent crap. I can't believe the NFL is doubling down on its stupidity by enacting these complex rules. We spent 5-6 seasons changing the rule on what a catch is (when we all know what a catch is) and now we're going to do the same with this helmet to helmet stuff. We all know when a play is dirty. We all know when a player is targeting and intending to hurt someone. We also know when shit happens and a guy diving to make a tackle will unintentionally make contact with another player's helmet. It happens. It's part of the game. Stop wasting so much time on it. 

Edited by Jenksismyhero

3 minutes ago, Jenksismyhero said:

I think it's sad that for at least 10 years now (and probably more) 95% of the coverage of the NFL has to do with rule changes, bad calls in games and protests. Very little that happens on-field is discussed. It's one of the reasons the NFL has fallen way down in the list of priorities for me (along with the Bears being terrible again for a long stretch). I just don't care about this stuff and i'm tired of talking about it. What fun is watching the game when inevitably there are 8-10 plays that are reviewed and discussed to death, grinding any momentum of the game to a halt?

i'm not sure why the NFL ever opened the player safety flood gates. This is going to be a never ending quest that is impossible to finish. It's a violent game. Period. It always has been. Just go play. You've made some common sense rules about defenseless players and targeting and the like. That's great. Enough with this interpretation and intent crap. I can't believe the NFL is doubling down on its stupidity by enacting these complex rules. We spent 5-6 seasons changing the rule on what a catch is (when we all know what a catch is) and now we're going to do the same with this helmet to helmet stuff. We all know when a play is dirty. We all know when a player is targeting and intending to hurt someone. We also know when shit happens and a guy diving to make a tackle will unintentionally make contact with another player's helmet. It happens. It's part of the game. Stop wasting so much time on it. 

People were literally dying, it has now cost them well over a billion dollars in settlements, it threatens the foundation of the game if parents stop letting their kids play football, they could very well wind up having Congress get involved and we know the league doesn't want that, and eventually there would be a corpse lying dead on a field in front of 70,000 fans and a TV audience of millions. 

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

People were literally dying, it has now cost them well over a billion dollars in settlements, it threatens the foundation of the game if parents stop letting their kids play football, they could very well wind up having Congress get involved and we know the league doesn't want that, and eventually there would be a corpse lying dead on a field in front of 70,000 fans and a TV audience of millions. 

And rather than assuming more liability and improving benefits for player health, they've fought liability, obfuscated research, and acted like hits on the margin are the issue rather than the constant hits.

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

What? Who? I think one person has died playing an NFL game and that was due to a heart attack decades ago. People have been paralyzed, obviously, but that's the risk. That's why they're paid millions of dollars to play a violent sport. 

And yes, perhaps the future of the game is a concern, but what happens when you diminish the product so much that people stop caring? 

I'm not saying they completely ignore safety and let players do whatever out there, but like I said, we have sensible, common sense rules. Adding more confusion is diluting the product and making it far more difficult to watch. And i'm shocked the NFL continues to do this stuff when we just went through it with all the catch/no-catch nonsense. 

6 hours ago, TheTruth05 said:

Yeah...really didn't like it at all. Like not at all.  

2 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

I agree with this. I imagine they want to set the message in the preseason and than will ease back in the regular season.  Was hard though because it makes it hard to root for defense.  A lot of big plays of the past just don't happen anymore because of the new rules (will be interesting to see if all these changes have any actual impact on safety).  

On 7/31/2018 at 8:38 PM, Brian said:

soxfan49 said it’s only a matter of time because some blogger reported that last week and to only be worried if not signed by HOF game.

DBB is usually right. I was just telling you all what he said. It completely sucks that it’s come to this.

38 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

DBB is usually right. I was just telling you all what he said. It completely sucks that it’s come to this.

Didn’t mean for it to sound like I was mocking you. 

Frustrating this is dragging out over something so small

23 hours ago, StrangeSox said:

Not on the field but all the CTE stuff and the indirect stuff like severe depression and suicide has led to a lot of bad press and potential liability for the league.

CTE Is just one variable in the entire process. Since most of the heavy PEDs have been removed from the game, it will help dramatically. This is the point that all of the CTE attackers don't realize.

2 hours ago, ptatc said:

CTE Is just one variable in the entire process. Since most of the heavy PEDs have been removed from the game, it will help dramatically. This is the point that all of the CTE attackers don't realize.

Does the NFL do the type of continuous monitoring blood-testing and isotope checking that you have criticized MLB for not doing?

• Thanks 1