Official 2018-19 NFL Thread

47 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Here comes Roquan, says Schefter

47 minutes ago, bmags said:

Nice. He just didn't want to go to bourbannais, can't blame him.

Nah..he was waiting for me to make my post...damn, had I known that I would have posted about Smith missing the entire preseason a month ago.  

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

I disagree, actually. He's never going to be the type of guy who gets 3+ games for on-field stuff. Only Burfict has gotten something like this over the last 10 years. He'll never get 2+ games for defending himself or a teammate. He would almost have to drag someone by their dick off of the field to get 2+. He isn't going to get 2+ games for a post play infraction either because that would also require him to do something insane or go after a ref. The only chance for his guarantees to be voided is a 1+ game suspension for being deemed the aggressor. If that's really what he was holding out for, the Bears should have caved weeks ago.

12 minutes ago, bmags said:

Not really, considering the Bears position from the start was that they are reasonable with not taking away guaranteed money from players and have never done so for these types of infractions. Now the agents made it easy to fine them as it's in written in the contract and no longer an option for the Bears.

5 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

I disagree, actually. He's never going to be the type of guy who gets 3+ games for on-field stuff. Only Burfict has gotten something like this over the last 10 years. He'll never get 2+ games for defending himself or a teammate. He would almost have to drag someone by their dick off of the field to get 2+. He isn't going to get 2+ games for a post play infraction either because that would also require him to do something insane or go after a ref. The only chance for his guarantees to be voided is a 1+ game suspension for being deemed the aggressor. If that's really what he was holding out for, the Bears should have caved weeks ago.

Yes. He was holding out for having no guaranteed money taken away for any game incident not included in a play. This compromise is a way to save face for the agency because they only agreed to situations that never happen.

23 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Yes. He was holding out for having no guaranteed money taken away for any game incident not included in a play. This compromise is a way to save face for the agency because they only agreed to situations that never happen.

Yeah, he would really have to f*** up quite a bit to get any guaranteed money voided in this scenario.

4 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

I don't understand this logic. His contract protects his guaranteed money unless  he gets the suspension lengths you mention, which means unless he gets the 4 game vontez burfect suspension, the team cannot take away guarantees from on field suspensions. Think about the whole helmet stuff, this protects against the uncertainty of if suspensions go hog wild.

"Smith can be suspended one or two games for a violation of the rules that apply during a given play with no consequence to his future guarantees. He can be suspended one or two games multiple times with no consequence to his future guarantees. Smith loses the guarantees only if a suspension of three or more games is imposed on him."

And no, if I had millions on the line in a league that is predicated on weeding out poor performing or outspoken athletes, I would not take the handshake guarantee that my employer would not take away guarantees for on the field conduct even as they maintain they must keep legal option to do so.

If they would never use it, then they shouldn't feel bad about taking it out of the contract.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

I don't understand this logic. His contract protects his guaranteed money unless  he gets the suspension lengths you mention, which means unless he gets the 4 game vontez burfect suspension, the team cannot take away guarantees from on field suspensions. Think about the whole helmet stuff, this protects against the uncertainty of if suspensions go hog wild.

And no, if I had millions on the line in a league that is predicated on weeding out poor performing or outspoken athletes, I would not take the handshake guarantee that my employer would not take away guarantees for on the field conduct even as they maintain they must keep legal option to do so.

If they would never use it, then they shouldn't feel bad about taking it out of the contract.

The Bears actually agreed to the protection for "during play suspensions" weeks ago. That was when the agency wanted to include in game, not pertaining to playing suspensions such as fights, pushing a referee etc. This is where the holdout has dragged on.

He still isn't protected against being outspoken such as the CB from Jacksonville. 

1 hour ago, LittleHurt05 said:

That is gonna be one highly entertaining trainwreck.

If they were making the best football moves they could, IMO they'd bring in Kaepernick and have Peterman and Kaepernick be their starters at least for the first few games, then you Trubisky the team later in the year and come back ready for next year.