Official 2018-19 NFL Thread

The Saints traded two first round picks for a rookie DE/OLB from Texas-San Antonio.

The Bears traded two first round picks for arguably the most terrorizing defensive player in the sport.

I know some of you love draft picks, but considering Mack's abilities and Pace's ability to draft well later in the draft, I'm f***ing pumped up.

Edited by soxfan49

5 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

The Saints traded two first round picks for a rookie DE/OLB from Texas-San Antonio.

The Bears traded two first round picks for arguably the most terrorizing defensive player in the sport.

I know some of you love draft picks, but considering Mack's abilities and Pace's ability to draft well later in the draft, I'm f***ing pumped up.

Ha I love draft picks but a large portion of that is just loving the draft

8 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Except our picks are likely higher picks and we have to pay the guy close $150M.

So the question becomes if Mack is worth $150M + 2 firsts? He’s great but I am not sure about that.

2 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Except our picks are likely higher picks and we have to pay the guy close $150M.

So the question becomes if Mack is worth $150M + 2 firsts? He’s great but I am not sure about that.

His cap hit will be no higher than $15M at any point due to signing bonuses and guarantees. The Bears won't be picking top 15 anymore now (ideally), so yes, I think he's worth that deal and two bottom third first rounders. That's my opinion though. Everyone is excited but we won't know for a few years, and as great as Mack is, if Trubisky never develops this deal means nothing and Pace is fired and they have the first pick in the draft in 2022.

7 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Khalil Mack is 100%, without a doubt, worth all of that.

20 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

If you are gonna pay a defensive player $150 million, no better time to do it than when your QB is on his rookie contract and still cheap.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It is also nice the Raiders hired an egomaniac to coach them. A guy who has bought his own hype to the point where he doesn’t think he needs stars to win.

Pretty crazy how much worse he's made that roster and we haven't even seen if his coaching will adapt to the modern game. The Raiders are in for a long year I think.

45 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

His cap hit will be no higher than $15M at any point due to signing bonuses and guarantees. The Bears won't be picking top 15 anymore now (ideally), so yes, I think he's worth that deal and two bottom third first rounders. That's my opinion though. Everyone is excited but we won't know for a few years, and as great as Mack is, if Trubisky never develops this deal means nothing and Pace is fired and they have the first pick in the draft in 2022.

That depends on their offense and there are still a lot of question marks around it. Trading 2 first rounders makes this a win-now move, ideally you would have like to see it after you know what you got in your franchise QB. If Trubisky flops and Robinson isn't his former self, you are left with a good defense but a bad offense and a team that isn't going anywhere.

6 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

That depends on their offense and there are still a lot of question marks around it. Trading 2 first rounders makes this a win-now move, ideally you would have like to see it after you know what you got in your franchise QB. If Trubisky flops and Robinson isn't his former self, you are left with a good defense but a bad offense and a team that isn't going anywhere.

That's what I said. Even if Mack is Reggie White, the team stinks and everyone is fired in January 2022 if Trubisky is Christian Ponder/EJ Manuel/Blake Bortles.

I do disagree on "win-now." The Bears offense should be expected to sputter at times this year. It's a brand new system and the QB is still relatively raw. They have a ton of guys 27 years old or younger, Mack included. It's win-now and win-then. They have 3-4 years to win a championship before Trubisky (ideally) gets paid.

Edited by soxfan49

39 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

I agree. I feel like this move was a year early. Taking more risk than I'd like but could certainly pan out. Hopefully it does.