Official 2018-19 NFL Thread

16 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I agree. I feel like this move was a year early. Taking more risk than I'd like but could certainly pan out. Hopefully it does.

What move? Mack wasn't going to be available in 2019. There's a good chance that a guy like this isn't traded again for another decade.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

What move? Mack wasn't going to be available in 2019. There's a good chance that a guy like this isn't traded again for another decade.

Agreed...it’s rare you get an opportunity to get a PROVEN all pro caliber player like Khalil Mack. Steep price but well worth it. Puts the D at a whole new level.  I’m pumped!

Edited by Wanne

51 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

I meant it more that I think we are a year away from needing to make this kind of move. That said generational talent like Mack doesn’t always come available so I certainly understand the move. I just think that our offense will still have growing pains and even defensively Mack and Smith haven’t had any real practice in our system. I still view us as a 7 to 10 win team largely due to inconsistencies on offense.

7 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I meant it more that I think we are a year away from needing to make this kind of move. That said generational talent like Mack doesn’t always come available so I certainly understand the move. I just think that our offense will still have growing pains and even defensively Mack and Smith haven’t had any real practice in our system. I still view us as a 7 to 10 win team largely due to inconsistencies on offense.

I believe 2019-2021 are the prime years for this roster assuming Trubisky is good, so while I'm with you on the fact that it won't be a SB team this year, a Mack acquisition is big time.

1 minute ago, soxfan49 said:

I believe 2019-2021 are the prime years for this roster assuming Trubisky is good, so while I'm with you on the fact that it won't be a SB team this year, a Mack acquisition is big time.

Long term I like the direction the arrow is headed. Now we need to hope the on field production of the team backs that statement. Sucks we don’t play in AFC. NFC is so loaded. 

16 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

yeah...I'm not getting overly optimistic for this year.  Next year tho I think the Bears will be in the convo for playoff teams.  Having Mack and Roquan grow together in Fangio's D...that's scary for teams in the NFC North I think.  My concern is the same...growing pains with the O. Daniel made it looks seamless...but the fact that Trubisky only attempted 18 passes in the preseason and saw very limited action concerns me.  At least we know he's not dinged up lol.

3 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

The Saints traded two first round picks for a rookie DE/OLB from Texas-San Antonio.

The Bears traded two first round picks for arguably the most terrorizing defensive player in the sport.

I know some of you love draft picks, but considering Mack's abilities and Pace's ability to draft well later in the draft, I'm f***ing pumped up.

While I’m fully supportive & excited about the trade, let’s not ignore we’re giving up two 1st round picks PLUS making him the highest paid defensive player in the game.

One reminder...Vegas revised their Super Bowl odds from 100-1 to 60-1. Raiders purely moved to 25-1 (and no one has them as a super bowl darling). Just saying...there is still a lot to prove and there is still a decent chance we will have the worse record in the NFC north.  Saying it more so that people don't jump off cliffs when we have the inherent growing pains associated with new staff + so many new faces.  

3 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

It is also nice the Raiders hired an egomaniac to coach them. A guy who has bought his own hype to the point where he doesn’t think he needs stars to win.

So the Broncos hired an egomaniac and the Bears sent them 2 first rounders, then the Raiders hired one and the Bears sent them 2 first rounders.

I have no point with this just found it fascinating.

4 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

That's what I said. Even if Mack is Reggie White, the team stinks and everyone is fired in January 2022 if Trubisky is Christian Ponder/EJ Manuel/Blake Bortles.

You said bears aren’t picking in the top 15 anymore but will pick in the bottom third which simply isn’t true. With how good NFC is and how raw Trub was last year, I think we’re likely to finish in 7-12 again than 20-30. I think Bears made this move also thinking they are ready to be good, which I don’t think it’s true. This is a lot of value we’re giving up and I could only hope it pays off.

It’s also worth noting Mack wasn’t as good last year compared to his first 2 years. You just hope it’s because the Raiders poor performance as a team, not that teams have figured him out.

3 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

I agree. I feel like this move was a year early. Taking more risk than I'd like but could certainly pan out. Hopefully it does.

Yeah, perhaps it is, but these kind of opportunities don’t come along often. It was an outstanding fit for many reasons, and I think it was worth making the move.

It’s the same type of thing the White Sox may have to do in the next 12-18 months. It’s unlikely everything is going to line up perfectly with your window. But if a generational-type player comes along and fills a need, I think you need to jump at the chance.