Official 2018-19 NFL Thread

Just now, The Beast said:

My mental notes from the game:

- Interesting third and short calls. They carry Howard and a full back, why not run it up the gut or between the tackles with some pulling if necessary?

- The defensive backs deserve blame for those touchdowns in the second half and the Bears needed to counter McCarthy’s adjustments in the second half.

- The Bears need more passes to the middle instead of to the sidelines to use the whole field.

- Trubisky is still developing. Nice drive before the Packers went on top but he looked rattled at the end.

1. They were getting stuffed on those calls. 

2. There isn't really anything they could have done, other than cover better and get to the damn QB? If the players don't execute, they lose

3. The receivers were blanketed. Hats off to the GB secondary. They have much better DBs now than the Bears do. 

4. This reminds me of the shirt that my dad had in the early 90s, titled "Top 10 lies told at Wrigley Field" in which #4 was "Dunston needs more time to develop" Put up or shut up. 

With the Mack trade, Pace has put the team in such a horrible position that it might take a decade to dig out of this mess. 

Phil Emery: I can trash a team so badly it takes a half decade to dig out of it

Ryan Pace: Hold my beer. 

5 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

He didn’t when he made that big completion to beat Baltimore or when he got them into FG range vs Detroit (only for Barth to blow it).

Yea those are in the same stratosphere as a Sunday night primetime game against your biggest rival...

17 minutes ago, bmags said:

The only thing that gets me is can anyone name me a good qb that has looked like Mitch has looked for this many games now? 

May best we are in the Kirk cousins / Alex smith territory, and what I saw out of mahomes and Watson today? Good god. 

Mitch wasn’t even bad. Mahomes looked great and let’s remember who spent a bunch of time last season coaching him....

Watson was lousy today against a mediocre patriots defense. 

Lots of qbs were mediocre and inconsistent to start their careers. It tends to be more the norm. Plus, I’m not even really judging that first year with whatever the heck offense they were running. 

22 minutes ago, Tony said:

This thread is worse than a postgame call sheet on The Score. 

The loss hurts because of the first half, and how impressive they looked for two quarters. Everything changed when #12 came back. 

At the end of the day, most Bears fans didn’t think tonight was going to be a W. It certainly should have been after what we saw in the first half, but it doesn’t change much in the grand scheme of the season. 

I’ll also remind people how after like four weeks Marc Trestman was the greatest coach in franchise history (vs. the worst). 

18 minutes ago, The Beast said:

My mental notes from the game:

- Interesting third and short calls. They carry Howard and a full back, why not run it up the gut or between the tackles with some pulling if necessary?

- The defensive backs deserve blame for those touchdowns in the second half and the Bears needed to counter McCarthy’s adjustments in the second half.

- The Bears need more passes to the middle instead of to the sidelines to use the whole field.

- Trubisky is still developing. Nice drive before the Packers went on top but he looked rattled at the end.

You make a great point. While I thought Mitch looked poor that last drive, he made some nice plays on what could have been the game sealing drive. We are all saying different things about Mitch had they converted that 3rd and 1. 

18 minutes ago, bmags said:

I get it, but it does scare me that Trubisky has looked so bad in big moments.

He was solid in the second to last drive. That was a big drive and he made some good throws and was very much a key cog to moving those chains. They were just a play short. He and the bears will get better...I guarantee it....you will like the way the bears look!!! 

Relax folks. This loss is a slap in the face but one thing I know for certain is Trubisky isn’t this bad. Even when he debuted last year he wouldn’t be missing throws by as much as he did tonight. I think he’s out of practice from sitting too much in the preseason, still learning Nagy’s offense, and just crumbled under pressure when Rodgers turned up the heat.

However, if Trubisky doesn’t start showing some progress by end of the year, we need to start looking elsewhere (here’s where losing the picks hurt). I know Mitch is raw, but you should be able to tell what you have in your hands by end of year 2.

The Bears have basically been a joke on and off the field since the end of the 1991 season. A good season here and there but basically Cincinnati Bengals bad over the course of 25 years. Nothing changed tonight and they had a golden opportunity to start writing a new script. Instead they fell flat on their faces.

1 hour ago, SoxAce said:

Alex Brown burying Fuller for his effort on that long TD (Mack pretty much ran down the field trying to get Cobb and Fuller gave up on the play) on CSN postgame show. Well deserved. 

Honestly I think it was smart to let him score there. They were obviously getting a touchdown, so it's better that they do it sooner to give the Bears more time to score for themselves.

1 hour ago, Jose Abreu said:

Honestly I think it was smart to let him score there. They were obviously getting a touchdown, so it's better that they do it sooner to give the Bears more time to score for themselves.

I fucking hate Kyle Fuller...I wish the Bears wouldn't have matched honestly. I said this last year with that skillet-handed mother fucker...I'd have put him 5 yards in front of a Jugs machine every day in the off season  because he can't catch a fucking cold.  He could have sealed the deal. Still doesn't take away from Nagy's complete ineptness with the 2nd half play calling tho...complete shit job.  Fangio's 2nd half sucked too.  Telling ya...I'm getting to the point I'm about done with this POS franchise. Same shit every year.

How in the fuck do you not run Howard on 3rd and 1 late in that game is beyond me...you're an idiot Nagy.  Seriously tho...losing that game...against the fucking Packers with a 20-0 lead was probably the biggest kick in the nuts I've had in quite a while (along with Kopech going down).  I have tix for the Cards/Bears out here in a few weeks and honestly I don't even want to go now.  Fuck them.  Nagy single handedly ruined this year for me already.  I'm so fuckin pissed right now I probably won't even sleep tonight.  Fuck you Nagy.  Fuck you Fangio.  And fuck you Kyle Fuller you skillet-handed mother fucker.

Nagy blamed lack of preseason reps as part of the problem tonight? Um, the amount of reps was on you coach.

Such a brutal loss, but the increase in talent showed, just very inexperienced coach and QB who need to grow.

And of course the GOAT on the other sideline.

7 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Yea those are in the same stratosphere as a Sunday night primetime game against your biggest rival...

He said he’s “looked so bad in big moments.” This was one moment. What other moments has he looked “so bad?” If Nagy runs on 3rd and 1 (and then again on 4th and 1 instead of pussing out and kicking a meaningless FG), we’re praising him for a clock-eating, game-sealing drive.

Edited by soxfan49

5 hours ago, Wanne said:

I fucking hate Kyle Fuller...I wish the Bears wouldn't have matched honestly. I said this last year with that skillet-handed mother fucker...I'd have put him 5 yards in front of a Jugs machine every day in the off season  because he can't catch a fucking cold.  He could have sealed the deal. Still doesn't take away from Nagy's complete ineptness with the 2nd half play calling tho...complete shit job.  Fangio's 2nd half sucked too.  Telling ya...I'm getting to the point I'm about done with this POS franchise. Same shit every year.

How in the fuck do you not run Howard on 3rd and 1 late in that game is beyond me...you're an idiot Nagy.  Seriously tho...losing that game...against the fucking Packers with a 20-0 lead was probably the biggest kick in the nuts I've had in quite a while (along with Kopech going down).  I have tix for the Cards/Bears out here in a few weeks and honestly I don't even want to go now.  Fuck them.  Nagy single handedly ruined this year for me already.  I'm so fuckin pissed right now I probably won't even sleep tonight.  Fuck you Nagy.  Fuck you Fangio.  And fuck you Kyle Fuller you skillet-handed mother fucker.

Fuller always seems to play his worst against the Packers. Look at the home game last year when Hundley stuck it up his ass. That was piss poor and last night was worse. 

I also have Bears/Arizona tickets but this will require me to fly there. I also feel like I’m making a mistake. Also like you, I’m so god damn sick of this franchise letting me down. I should be used to it but that loss last night was crippling.

So Nagy's team blew a 21-3 lead his last game as OC at KC, and a 20-0 lead last night. 

Considering the offense only put 13 points on the board, maybe he should have played people in some of the 5 preseason games. . They also looked gassed in the 4th quarter, but that could have just been things going south.

It's only one game, and most figured they would lose anyways, but this was a tough one. Hopefully it won't have a lingering effect, and hopefully the offense looks more like it did the first quarter than the rest of the game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soxfan49 said:

He said he’s “looked so bad in big moments.” This was one moment. What other moments has he looked “so bad?” If Nagy runs on 3rd and 1 (and then again on 4th and 1 instead of pussing out and kicking a meaningless FG), we’re praising him for a clock-eating, game-sealing drive.

if they did a good thing instead of a bad, dumb thing they would be praised for being good, yes.

As painful as that loss was, there were some significant positives.  The front seven of the defense looks like it will be elite (health permitting), with Mack looking like an absolute game changer.  The offense has a ton of weapons, perhaps more than I can remember in my lifetime as a Bears fan.  And they all offer different looks/skills, which should work wonders for an innovate mind like Nagy.  Regarding Mitch, he flashed both good & bad at times.  There were moments I thought he looked very composed in the pocket despite being rushed whereas down the stretch when the pressure turned up a notch he was missing passes by a wide margin.  I’ll keep saying it but he needs more time to learn the offense and adjust to the speed of the NFL.  People have way too high of expectations of him here.

The biggest disappointment to me was Nagy.  Whoever said he was playing to not lose in the second half is right.  The play calling was way too conservative (and stupid at times) and it’s clear he didn’t want to risk Mitch turning over the the ball.  And I’ve already said, but not going for it on 4th & 1 while on the road against an all-time great QB with all the momentum was just plain dumb IMO.  Having said all that, one game doesn’t change my long term outlook on Nagy which is incredibly positive.  He’ll learn from this and become a better coach in the long-run. 

Here are my hot takes.

The Bears O line cannot run block.  Seemed like very little room up the middle.

How are the wide receivers gassed in the second half.  That is a pretty big indictment of the coaching staff.  Yet again they cannot appear to get open at all.  Robinson looks slower than shit.

The DBs were pathetic.  I have to think they had more YAC then yards of actual passing.

The second half coaching was abysmal on both sides of the ball and the play calling was mystifying.

Pick up Cohen in fantasy football as he appears to be the number 1 option in this offense. 

I'm not sure what anyone expected, but for a guy with little experience in his first game running a real NFL offense, it's hard for me to complain about Trubisky.  

And don't look now, but he was better than Watson was yesterday.  Watson looked like a rookie again.