Official 2018-19 NFL Thread

3 minutes ago, Jenksismyhero said:

I'm sure that was by design so that they could win the time of possession battle and keep the ball out of Rodgers' hands.

Maybe some of it, but I doubt the burning of all of our timeouts was by design 

Edited by Jose Abreu

The bottom line is this game is with the offense (play calling) rather than blitzes. You have Green Bay with Rodgers sitting at 17 points with a few minutes to go, which is not logical. Its a given the Packers with this QB will score, even against good defenses. It is then incumbent on you to WIN the game before giving Rodgers a chance to win it. 

So, either the play calling was poor on 3rd and 1 or the execution was poor. As has been stated, a "safe yet gutsy" play would have been to run Howard (who was very effective) two times. Go for the knockout. Heck, it's possible had the Bears picked up a measly 36 inches they win the game 20-17. Either way you do ANYTHING within your power to NOT give Rodgers 2 minutes needing only 6. 

People say Nagy played it safe. I don't think that. He friggin passed it on 3rd and 1. That's being "too creative", he outthought himself. That situation calls for SIMPLE football. OK boys, we are going to run two plays and need 1 yard. If we get it, we probably win, so lets go. Kinda like the dumbshit Seattle did in the Super Bowl versus New England. I like creativity and innovation, but at some point the game and situation (such as last night) simply calls for the coach to KISS. 

I am livid the Bears let this one get away, but also saw a hell of a lot of promise last night. YES, I still have huge reservations about Trubisky. He melted down badly on numerous throws last night. This is what you're going to get from a guy who has played like 5 meaningful games in his career. He only started the one year at UNC. So its not a shock he failed to make any plays in the 2nd half last night, but he's also woefully inexperienced and despite that inexperienced he has shown some glimpses so you have to give Nagy some time to develop him. His athleticism is legitimate, now he just needs to show a better feel for the pocket, more touch on short throws and more accuracy on deeper throws.  

Edited by kwolf68

^^ Agreed. I have no clue if they were conservative. If anything I wish they would have been more conservative in terms of running more. Nagy said today he wished Howard would have had more than 15 carries. You're the coach, clown. Call more run plays then. He's starting to become Trestmany.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

^^ Agreed. I have no clue if they were conservative. If anything I wish they would have been more conservative in terms of running more. Nagy said today he wished Howard would have had more than 15 carries. You're the coach, clown. Call more run plays then. He's starting to become Trestmany.

Honestly, I am not wrapped around getting J-Ho X number of runs. I just want to win games. If that means 10 carries or 30, makes no difference, my issue is he should have gotten AT LEAST one more. He was by far the most consistent offensive weapon the Bears had going. He was running awesome. If the Packers stop him twice on 3rd and 4th and 1, fine, tip you hat and move on, but MAKE them stop our best player. Nagy failed to do that. He put the game in the hands of a very raw young QB, stopping the clock, kicking nothing more than a cosmetic field goal and became another notch on the Aaron Rodgers belt buckle. How he could NOT have seen the results before they occurred?

The Bears may be fine this year, come back next week at home and beat Seattle and start working, but man a win last night would have propelled the credibility and emotion of this franchise ahead several levels. It would have bread confidence in the team. To beat Rodgers in Lambeau on opening night with a green QB, a defense that isn't "up to speed" yet and a whole bunch of new faces in the passing game would have been a real signal that the Bears are coming for you.

Nope, today's Facebook is littered with  memes of "the same ole Bears". It f****** sucks!! I am tired of the Bears being the butt end of jokes. If Nagy is as smart as they claim, he'll learn from this and grow as a head coach. I think he will.  

Edited by kwolf68

37 minutes ago, kwolf68 said:

Honestly, I am not wrapped around getting J-Ho X number of runs. I just want to win games. If that means 10 carries or 30, makes no difference, my issue is he should have gotten AT LEAST one more. He was by far the most consistent offensive weapon the Bears had going. He was running awesome. If the Packers stop him twice on 3rd and 4th and 1, fine, tip you hat and move on, but MAKE them stop our best player. Nagy failed to do that. He put the game in the hands of a very raw young QB, stopping the clock, kicking nothing more than a cosmetic field goal and became another notch on the Aaron Rodgers belt buckle. How he could NOT have seen the results before they occurred?

The Bears may be fine this year, come back next week at home and beat Seattle and start working, but man a win last night would have propelled the credibility and emotion of this franchise ahead several levels. It would have bread confidence in the team. To beat Rodgers in Lambeau on opening night with a green QB, a defense that isn't "up to speed" yet and a whole bunch of new faces in the passing game would have been a real signal that the Bears are coming for you.

Nope, today's Facebook is littered with  memes of "the same ole Bears". It f****** sucks!! I am tired of the Bears being the butt end of jokes. If Nagy is as smart as they claim, he'll learn from this and grow as a head coach. I think he will.  

I think you need to look at from Nagy point of view as well. He is the creative, out of the box thinker. If everyone is thinking run, he think the answer is pass. If Sims run a a yard deeper in his route that 3rd and 1 is converted. Then GB and all opponents have more to think about. 

He is a new coach and there is a learning curve. Over time there should be some adjustments. But always doing what's expected or the conventional play will probably be the exception not the rule.

53 minutes ago, kwolf68 said:

You couldn't have said it any better, especially paragraph 2. I was so stoked to be going to Soldier Field next Monday. Now, I'm meh about it.

22 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

You couldn't have said it any better, especially paragraph 2. I was so stoked to be going to Soldier Field next Monday. Now, I'm meh about it.

Get stoked.  The credit Rodgers is getting is partially a reflection of how much respect this Bears team is getting.

48 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I think you need to look at from Nagy point of view as well. He is the creative, out of the box thinker. If everyone is thinking run, he think the answer is pass. If Sims run a a yard deeper in his route that 3rd and 1 is converted. Then GB and all opponents have more to think about. 

He is a new coach and there is a learning curve. Over time there should be some adjustments. But always doing what's expected or the conventional play will probably be the exception not the rule.

I get that...but not in that situation.  Howard was moving the ball.  Green Bay had zero time outs left...so the last thing you want to do stop the clock with an incomplete pass like they did. You had two chances to gain a yard.  Like was said above...you don't give Rodgers over 2 minutes.   They could have gotten the clock under a minute even without getting the 1st if you simply run the ball.  Too cutesy.

Edited by Wanne

1 hour ago, Wanne said:

I get that...but not in that situation.  Howard was moving the ball.  Green Bay had zero time outs left...so the last thing you want to do stop the clock with an incomplete pass like they did. You had two chances to gain a yard.  Like was said above...you don't give Rodgers over 2 minutes.   They could have gotten the clock under a minute even without getting the 1st if you simply run the ball.  Too cutesy.

I agree but thats not what you are going to get from this coach, at least not initially. Hopefully,  he and the players learn from this and improve.

Watching the Lions-Jets game, Stafford's knee got buckled on a hit. Similar to Rodgers, he's trying to play through it with seemingly one leg. The difference is, the Jets defensive coordinator is blitzing on every play now which is forcing 3 and outs. Fangio doesn't like calling blitz packages which has been questioned with him with his schemes becoming so vanilla. 

8 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

They need more than Mack.  That team looked old and slow.

Maybe getting rid of Mack and rebuilding wasn't so crazy.  Still probably would have just signed him.

Maybe it was their strategy of cutting all of their young players to sign old ones this offseason. Nice way to force a rebuild.

29 minutes ago, bmags said:

Maybe it was their strategy of cutting all of their young players to sign old ones this offseason. Nice way to force a rebuild.

Gruden has 10 years to get it figured out

38 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

Maybe getting rid of Mack and rebuilding wasn't so crazy.  Still probably would have just signed him.

yea why would they want a young and fast player anyways

1 hour ago, GoSox05 said:

Giving that huge contract to Carr last year may have been a big mistake. They probably lost Mack because of it and who knows what else. Having the big QB contract with 4 first rounds picks the next 2 years is probably the way to go.

16 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Giving that huge contract to Carr last year may have been a big mistake. They probably lost Mack because of it and who knows what else. Having the big QB contract with 4 first rounds picks the next 2 years is probably the way to go.

Especially because Carr is pretty mediocre. He's part of the Matt Stafford, Ryan Tannehill mold to me. 

4 minutes ago, Steve9347 said:

Wash your mouth out with soap.

3 minutes ago, Tony said:

And eyes for that matter..

Too much lateral shit for my liking. And for some reason the Bears are the only team in the NFL that can't fucking execute a WR Screen. Every other team gets 5-12 yards at least on those and the Bears get 0-2 or lose yardage consistently. It has been a theme for 25 years. No matter what OC is here, they can't execute a WR screen. From Turner under Wanne to Nagy Sunday night, nobody is worse at WR screens than the Bears. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Too much lateral shit for my liking. And for some reason the Bears are the only team in the NFL that can't fucking execute a WR Screen. Every other team gets 5-12 yards at least on those and the Bears get 0-2 or lose yardage consistently. It has been a theme for 25 years. No matter what OC is here, they can't execute a WR screen. From Turner under Wanne to Nagy Sunday night, nobody is worse at WR screens than the Bears. 

dude, you bailed on the bears a long time ago.  Go on hiatus, forget about them.  Spare the hot takes