Official 2018-19 NFL Thread

For everyone implying this will be an easy win, for teams that have lost as many games the past few years as the Bears, there is no such thing as an easy win. Monday night against a Seahawks team that still has some legacy Super Bowl egos plus the superior starting QB (Wilson). I hope the Bears win but don’t downplay Seattle or the fact that until Bears prove otherwise they still have a ways from being a playoff team or a team who you can expect wins from. 

Hopefully they win and we see continued development and growth all season 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Rodgers has no ligament damage but this injury will take 2 months to heal.  Alrighty then

Yeah, the ESPN report doesn't make sense. If it is truly a "compression" injury as opposed to a ligament injury, he is an idiot for playing. The only structures that could be injured like this are the different cartilages. The meniscus would be really obvious and would be reported. The other is the hyaline which is the covering of the bone and will lead to arthritis, if not cared for. Maybe he wants a knee replacement early in life.

The brace they had on his knee suggests they aren't being totally truthful or that the medical staff was way off.

2 hours ago, ptatc said:

Yeah, the ESPN report doesn't make sense. If it is truly a "compression" injury as opposed to a ligament injury, he is an idiot for playing. The only structures that could be injured like this are the different cartilages. The meniscus would be really obvious and would be reported. The other is the hyaline which is the covering of the bone and will lead to arthritis, if not cared for. Maybe he wants a knee replacement early in life.

The brace they had on his knee suggests they aren't being totally truthful or that the medical staff was way off.

2 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Rodgers has no ligament damage but this injury will take 2 months to heal.  Alrighty then

Glazer said that it’s a deep bone bruise and a ligament strain.

3 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Glazer said that it’s a deep bone bruise and a ligament strain.

According to the ESPN report he doesn't have a ligament sprain. 

The bone bruise is the long term worry. They said it was from a compression injury, that means the joint surface hitting together. He would have to have cartilage damage if that's the case. Guess it depends which report is correct.

Watching Pat Mahomes today was depressing. That kid is special. Confident, calm, and supremely talented. Has a real feel for the sport, an instinct I don't yet see in the guy we drafted. Trubisky may be a good QB one day, but today he isn't even close to this kid. 

Edited by kwolf68

Three things:

1) When did the untucked shirt become a thing? I remember seeing it last year, but I'm surprised the league allows it since they're crazy about the uniforms.

2) How can a league that is constantly embroiled in player safety have players basically wearing bike shorts? So many dbs, rbs, and wrs don't wear thigh pads and/or knee pads. Some of the pants don't even cover their knees.

3) What is the stop the clock rule when a player goes out of bounds? Sometimes a guy goes out and the clock stops. Other times it doesn't. 

45 minutes ago, Middle Buffalo said:

Three things:

1) When did the untucked shirt become a thing? I remember seeing it last year, but I'm surprised the league allows it since they're crazy about the uniforms.

2) How can a league that is constantly embroiled in player safety have players basically wearing bike shorts? So many dbs, rbs, and wrs don't wear thigh pads and/or knee pads. Some of the pants don't even cover their knees.

3) What is the stop the clock rule when a player goes out of bounds? Sometimes a guy goes out and the clock stops. Other times it doesn't. 

1) I have nothing to add and I have no opinion.

2) They care about heads, not knees/thighs (unless you play QB).

3) The clock always stops when a player goes OOB but it restarts as soon as the ball is spotted. If you go out of bounds under- if I remember correctly- 5 minutes, it stops until the next snap.

3 hours ago, kwolf68 said:

Watching Pat Mahomes today was depressing. That kid is special. Confident, calm, and supremely talented. Has a real feel for the sport, an instinct I don't yet see in the guy we drafted. Trubisky may be a good QB one day, but today he isn't even close to this kid. 

Fair, but you would have said the same last year about Watson.

Mahomes had the luxury of sitting a year under Andy Reid and behind Alex Smith. Trubisky had the luxury of sitting 4 games under Dowell Loggains and behind Mike Glennon. 

Mahomes may be the better QB when it’s all said and done, but the only way it was a mistake is if Trubisky is awful and Mahomes is good or great.

3 hours ago, kwolf68 said:

On the bright side, our head coach played a key cog in developing him! 

1 hour ago, soxfan49 said:

1) I have nothing to add and I have no opinion.

2) They care about heads, not knees/thighs (unless you play QB).

3) The clock always stops when a player goes OOB but it restarts as soon as the ball is spotted. If you go out of bounds under- if I remember correctly- 5 minutes, it stops until the next snap.

Yeah, I don't really care about #1, either. Just an observation.

#2 interests me because quite a few players have filed lawsuits against the league, and I don't think they are all concussion related, so it's interesting that the league doesn't have a more uniform safety policy. Not that knee pads would necessarily protect against knee injuries...

#3 - thanks for the info. I figured it had something to do with the time left in the half/game, but I was never able to pin it down.

I guess the evolution/technology of the form fitting jersey has a lot to do with it? 

I was skimming through the SNF/MNF schedule to see what games will the networks regret making them prime time and the upcoming Patriots at Bills in a few weeks might be the worst matchup in a long, long time. 

On 9/15/2018 at 4:32 PM, Balta1701 said:

That same extremely conservative medical staff rushed an injured Rodgers back out onto the field last year to try to salvage their playoff hopes didn't they? 

Nope, he was fine.  He played and didn't get hurt, they lost and their season was over.  They put him on IR after that game, because it didn't really matter at that point with only one game left.

People are obsessed with Rodgers injury and the Packers medical staff this year.  I really don't get it.

Some notes on yesterday:

- The 49ers offense isn't quite as high flying as I expected. They scored 30 points regardless, but it was against the lions. This is a *take* but, I see Kyle Shanahan as a future super bowl winning coach, but I do wonder about this roster and org and if he doesn't end up finding it on his second job like others.

- I feel bad for Steve Wilks and AZ just due to window shutting. The cards for a time built a truly "zig when others zag" roster and it was fun, but it shows you how your window is finite when you don't have a star QB to transition you.

- Mahomes is amazing, but so many options on every play. I do believe Bears offense will get better and make it easier on Trubs as it evolves.

- Please let Chiefs/Steelers be a playoff matchup, so much more entertaining than some crap with the Patriots.

16 minutes ago, bmags said:

Some notes on yesterday:

- The 49ers offense isn't quite as high flying as I expected. They scored 30 points regardless, but it was against the lions. This is a *take* but, I see Kyle Shanahan as a future super bowl winning coach, but I do wonder about this roster and org and if he doesn't end up finding it on his second job like others.

- I feel bad for Steve Wilks and AZ just due to window shutting. The cards for a time built a truly "zig when others zag" roster and it was fun, but it shows you how your window is finite when you don't have a star QB to transition you.

- Mahomes is amazing, but so many options on every play. I do believe Bears offense will get better and make it easier on Trubs as it evolves.

- Please let Chiefs/Steelers be a playoff matchup, so much more entertaining than some crap with the Patriots.

Mahomes is a stud but that Pitt Def has looked really bad so far. Good thing they're division doesn't scare anybody that they'll make it to the playoffs anyway.

2 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

Mahomes is a stud but that Pitt Def has looked really bad so far. Good thing they're division doesn't scare anybody that they'll make it to the playoffs anyway.

What's amazing about the KC offense with Mahomes is the exploitation of the 15-20 yard routes that emerge in zone schemes OR break open with time in man. He's getting great time back there and just trusting that finds itself each play, it's awesome.

And, sorry to be anti-trubs talking points, BUT the big ? on Mahomes was that he was "so raw" coming out. Nobody is making "it's his 3rd career start!" excuses for him. Suddenly he's the polished prospect.

9 minutes ago, bmags said:

What's amazing about the KC offense with Mahomes is the exploitation of the 15-20 yard routes that emerge in zone schemes OR break open with time in man. He's getting great time back there and just trusting that finds itself each play, it's awesome.

And, sorry to be anti-trubs talking points, BUT the big ? on Mahomes was that he was "so raw" coming out. Nobody is making "it's his 3rd career start!" excuses for him. Suddenly he's the polished prospect.

I can see where you're coming with this since a lot of people are tired of hearing of Trubs inexperience but I just hope that a year working with Nagy on the bench is what really helped Mahomes and if so, it does the same trick for Mitch. We'll find out by the last month of the season.

Edited by TheTruth05