Official 2018-19 NFL Thread

13 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The classic McNown story for me was Jay Marriotti. He was writing columns that if the Bears didn't draft McNown, they were stupid and heads needed to roll. After they drafted him and he played a bit, he wrote whoever thought drafting him was a good idea needed to be fired immediately.

just like that video going around of Skip Bayless arguing with earlier Skip Bayless proclamations, Mariotti was always good for criticizing his earlier self.   Could you imagine if that guy somehow managed to keep his ESPN job into the twitter era?

The one truly amazing thing about the bears is how they've been so bad for most of my life but never bad enough. That's what makes trubisky so important, they were really bad and in opportunity to get the #1 qb in what has turned out to be a good qb class. He has to be a longterm solution. Absolutely has to.

But when they've been top 5. ugh. Curtis Enis, Trade down for michael haynes and grossman, cedric benson. Their "trade down for the lowest rated qb in the first round" strategy ... ugh.

13 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Both he and Grossman were listed at 6-1 coming out of college, and somehow as backups later in their careers, were listed at 5-10. They were both 5-10. I remember this pretty well. 

On every website- Football Reference, NFL, Wikipedia- it currently shows 6'1

(fun fact: McNown is now a wealth management advisor in California)

12 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

On every website- Football Reference, NFL, Wikipedia- it currently shows 6'1

(fun fact: McNown is now a wealth management advisor in California)

For both. I know, because that is what it was. 

Go get a copy of Madden 2002 and Madden 09 and they're both listed at 5-10 in those games. I don't think it was a mistake. 

I've heard stories of people standing next to both of those guys, actually being 6-1 and towering over them. (especially Grossman)

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

So NFL.com, Pro Football Reference, and pretty much any other site that lists bio information is wrong, but Madden 2002 is right. 

Got it. 

That isn't what I said. They get all of their info from the team page. I can't magically go back to the 2010 Washington official website and see what Grossman was listed at. I can tell you this, though from people who met him in person he isn't 6 feet tall. I already said they were both listed at 6-1 early in their career, and later they were listed at 5-10. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

dude, you get in some weird arguments where you stake things on anecdotal evidence that doesnt hold up much.  Just leave it at "they sucked" and its over.  Who cares what madden lists them as

I just don't think either were actually 6 feet tall, and both being 5-10 is much more believable than being 6-1.

He measured 6 feet and 7/8th of an inch at the NFL combine. But what would they know?

I actually saw Cade McNown at the Chop House after a Bears game once. I think it may have been his first game. I can't remember how tall he was but definitely taller than 5'10". I would have remember him being that short. 

Edited by Dick Allen

The measurements can definitely be wrong in sports sometimes, an example being that Kevin Durant is 7’0- which is pretty well known- but he’s listed at 6’9 because he finds it funny. 

As for these two, there’s really no evidence to support them being 5’11. 

12 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

For both. I know, because that is what it was. 

Go get a copy of Madden 2002 and Madden 09 and they're both listed at 5-10 in those games. I don't think it was a mistake. 

I've heard stories of people standing next to both of those guys, actually being 6-1 and towering over them. (especially Grossman)

Not true. I’m 1/4 inch under six foot and have stood next to Cade Mcnown. He was taller than me. 

43 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Not true. I’m 1/4 inch under six foot and have stood next to Cade Mcnown. He was taller than me. 

OK, I'll take your word for it. 

Both McNown and Grossman sucked. EOS. 

Let's move on and hope that Trubisky doesn't suck. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

I let my inner meatball come out wrt the Bears. I'm trying not to be incredibly skeptical about the Bears and Sox right now. (it is impossible to not be skeptical about the Bulls and the Hawks are in no man's land currently) When I get overly negative it is because the years of failure as an organization  get to me. The skepticism comes from "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me" I don't want to get fooled, so I assume incompetence until proven otherwise. 

Approaching it from a neutral perspective and letting it play out is probably the most sensible answer, and I know that, but I choose to be somewhat negative about my favorite teams until competence is proven. I don't like getting disappointed. It doesn't feel good, and it also makes me look like an idiot. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

To further the point that lombardi is an absolute moron, I remember listening to their post draft pod and him ripping the browns for being so stupid getting mayfield and denzel ward, well they both looked pretty freakin good last night.

Mayfield may get into some decision making trouble, but his "keep a play alive" mentality just oozes playmaker to me. I think Cleveland may finally be turning around.

My guess though is that one of Haley or if the league allows it, gregg williams takes over after the year ala jags did with Marrone.

Browns got some pretty good players.  This draft is looking good and actually last years produced a couple pretty good players. 

I don't know what their ceiling is, but there are way worse teams than them out there.  Arizona, Buffalo, NYG all come to mind.