Official 2018-19 NFL Thread

31 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Dislocated shoulder for Miller per Nagy. 

If this is true, it's borderline malpractice that he was allowed to continue in the game. I guessed it was a stinger based on the fact that no one would put a player back in the game after a dislocation.

2 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

He absolutely did a horrible coaching job today. This was a pathetic performance. They tried to lose 500 times. If a win could ever feel like your team lost by 40 pts this is it. There is zero reason for optimism and I don't see them winning more than 4 or 5 more games. Enjoy being in 1st place because this is the last they'll see of it. Based on this week's performances, I cam no longer claim the NFCN as the best division in football. They all suck. 

🙄

A short week against a desperate team in their stadium. At the end of the year, they don’t ask how.

Trubisky did a lot of average but some good. This is going to take time. Wentz was very average in his first season. This offense is complicated. 

Keep feeding Howard and keep allowing Hicks & Mack to feast.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

In what was trap weekend in the nfl, I’m just happy to get out with a win.

Agreed. And like I said, I'll start evaluating the offense after they've played half of a season. Any update on Miller? Was Robinson actually hurt or was that just a typo from someone on here?  Glad the defense woke up.  Cohen played very well today. Howard looks Ike he isn't quite used to the blocking scheme yet...hopefully he's about to break out.

Won't comment on Mitch other than to say his accuracy and decision making has to improve. He left some plays out on the field again.  I do think this game against such an aggressive defense will be good for him...he had to see a lot of blitz fronts and the film sessions should be beneficial.  

4 hours ago, Tony said:

Liked Nagy so far but not a fan of how he values timeouts...

Yeah - I didn't get that. Not sure what they were doing there. I suppose I understood if they wanted to try and trick the Cardinals into a false start, but they didn't even attempt that. Did they lose track of the downs? 

3 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

He absolutely did a horrible coaching job today. This was a pathetic performance. They tried to lose 500 times. If a win could ever feel like your team lost by 40 pts this is it. There is zero reason for optimism and I don't see them winning more than 4 or 5 more games. Enjoy being in 1st place because this is the last they'll see of it. Based on this week's performances, I cam no longer claim the NFCN as the best division in football. They all suck. 

The Bears were about a 7 win team, unless the offense took major step forwards. I still think they are about that, unless the offense and Trubisky become good this year.  Their schedule has a window later on that is just brutal.  Nice to be in 1st place 3 weeks into the season. When was the last time the Bears were even in 1st? 

14 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

The Bears were about a 7 win team, unless the offense took major step forwards. I still think they are about that, unless the offense and Trubisky become good this year.  Their schedule has a window later on that is just brutal.  Nice to be in 1st place 3 weeks into the season. When was the last time the Bears were even in 1st? 

I thought they were a 4-6 win team and the Mack acquisition took them up to the 5-7 range. Mitch had to take a major step forward in order for them to be anything more. He hasn't. The NFC is loaded and anyone expecting them to make the playoffs or even finish .500 is going to be really disappointed.

I have mixed feelings about the Mack trade. He is an awesome player, but the acquisition cost was too much for the Bears to give at this point in their development. If they can make the playoffs in 2019, and make an NFCCG appearance it would be worth it, because they were probably spending the 2019 1st on an edge rusher anyway. But if they pick in the top 15 in 2020, that is where the acquisition becomes asinine because what good does it do to trade 2 1st round picks for a great player on a bad team? This is why I think Gruden is laughing at Pace. If any team other than the Bears in the mix offered 2 1sts, I dont think they would have made that deal. They think the Bears are bad and will still be bad next year so they think they're getting 2 top 12 picks for him. Idk if anyone would make that trade. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I thought they were a 4-6 win team and the Mack acquisition took them up to the 5-7 range. Mitch had to take a major step forward in order for them to be anything more. He hasn't. The NFC is loaded and anyone expecting them to make the playoffs or even finish .500 is going to be really disappointed.

I have mixed feelings about the Mack trade. He is an awesome player, but the acquisition cost was too much for the Bears to give at this point in their development. If they can make the playoffs in 2019, and make an NFCCG appearance it would be worth it, because they were probably spending the 2019 1st on an edge rusher anyway. But if they pick in the top 15 in 2020, that is where the acquisition becomes asinine because what good does it do to trade 2 1st round picks for a great player on a bad team? This is why I think Gruden is laughing at Pace. If any team other than the Bears in the mix offered 2 1sts, I dont theink they would have made that deal. They think the Bears are bad and will still be bad next year so they think they're getting 2 top 12 picks for him. Idk if anyone would make that trade. 

Besides the Rams, maybe the Saints, maybe the Eagles, who else is that good in the NFC so far for the NFC to still be considered "loaded?"

No one is laughing at the Bears. They're a 7, 8 or 9 win team this year, and assuming more growth from Jackson, Howard, Floyd, Fuller, Amos, Leno, Miller, Shaheen, Whitehair, and most importantly Trubisky, they're a playoff team in 2019.

I don't know, I'm not happy with how Trubisky has played, but I also feel like they are only a few adjustments away.

The good that I like is their average time of possession is eye-popping. The defense can stay dominant when they limit the amount of possessions for the opponent.

Last year bears would go 3 and out or fizzle out between the 40s. Now they are fizzling out in the opponents 10-40 yard line. I think they'll find the plays that start to convert.

But the offense will get "unlocked" as soon as trubisky hits some deep balls. I'm just gonna say I don't think he can't, I think though if we are staring at a situation where he's both not good at it and apprehensive about them that's bad. But the screens are a product of the lack of vertical passing.

It's frustrating but also I don't remember the last game the bears came from behind to win. Last year all the effort to keep games close just kept us an arms length away. They did it. Cards are probably a bad team but they punched bears in mouth and bears grinded back. It was nice to see.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tony said:

That Clay Matthews play yesterday was a joke. So bad..

Two weeks in a row with really bad calls and it's not just his.  Kendricks got called on one against Rodgers that was similar.

I would just love for an official to explain in that situation what he could have done differently.   Should he have just run up to Smith and pushed him down?  Maybe he should have just picked him up in like a bear hug and held him until the whistle is blown.

There is also a lack of consistency, Payne picked up Rodgers and slammed him to the ground and landed on him with all his body weight and no call.  I don't think that was roughing the passer either, but if you call the one on Matthews, you have to call the other one.

10 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

Two weeks in a row with really bad calls and it's not just his.  Kendricks got called on one against Rodgers that was similar.

I would just love for an official to explain in that situation what he could have done differently.   Should he have just run up to Smith and pushed him down?  Maybe he should have just picked him up in like a bear hug and held him until the whistle is blown.

There is also a lack of consistency, Payne picked up Rodgers and slammed him to the ground and landed on him with all his body weight and no call.  I don't think that was roughing the passer either, but if you call the one on Matthews, you have to call the other one.

Right and it's one thing to have a bad call. But the way the NFL bends over backwards to say "No that's correct!" for years is so bonkers. It feels like baseball and basketball would be like "that wasn't what the rule was intended for, we'll work with our officials to makes ure they are supported to make the rule enforced as intended while we review it as a league."

NFL meanwhile seems gleefully determined to stand by this.

It just seems so unnecessary.  Games are just penalty after penalty.  Qb's are still going to get hurt, look at Rodgers and Jimmy G.  Nothing you can do about it.

I don't want to go back to the days where cornerbacks could just tackle a WR and teams scored like 10 points a game, but at some point you have to let some stuff go.  I feel like they had a good balance about 5-7 years ago.  They just keep adding and it's just kills the flow of a game. 

I'm not someone who is going to be like "boycott the NFL"  or anything like that, but I have definitely cut down my watching of games.  I'll watch the Packers and then maybe the Bears game, but besides that I just don't have the interest.  I hope they come to their senses cause I love watching football.

43 minutes ago, bmags said:

Right and it's one thing to have a bad call. But the way the NFL bends over backwards to say "No that's correct!" for years is so bonkers. It feels like baseball and basketball would be like "that wasn't what the rule was intended for, we'll work with our officials to makes ure they are supported to make the rule enforced as intended while we review it as a league."

NFL meanwhile seems gleefully determined to stand by this.

Al Riveron has become the purveyor and deliverer of fake news.  Just like last season when he broke down the Zack Miller TD/Non TD and pointed to something happening that was not visible on camera, he is just going to point to some BS on the monitor and say "yep we were right, we always are"