Official 2018-19 NFL Thread

1 hour ago, Tony said:

If he keeps us this pace, which would be super hard to do....he may very well win MVP. 

I brought up a few pages back that he's been the best player in football this year, and I still stand by it.

GMFB had a segment a day or two ago that was essentially "if they had the top 100 voting now, would be the top 3?" Two of the four had Mack #1, one had Mahomes and the other had Gurley (IIRC).

1 hour ago, soxfan49 said:

I brought up a few pages back that he's been the best player in football this year, and I still stand by it.

I'm kinda with ya on this one 49.  I haven't seen anybody that has completely taken over games on an individual basis like this.

1 hour ago, Tony said:

And the thing is, if we are talking about the MVP Vote, Goff and Gurley could split the vote out in LA, I can’t imagine Mahomes does this all season. Others will certainly be in the picture, but I think the point still stands.

If the Bears make the playoffs after the last three years they had, and Mack continues to put up these numbers, you’re probably looking at the first defensive MVP since LT. 

Valid, but if JJ Watt didn't win it in 2014 (might be off by a year), I still don't like Mack's chances 

1 hour ago, Tony said:

And the thing is, if we are talking about the MVP Vote, Goff and Gurley could split the vote out in LA, I can’t imagine Mahomes does this all season. Others will certainly be in the picture, but I think the point still stands.

If the Bears make the playoffs after the last three years they had, and Mack continues to put up these numbers, you’re probably looking at the first defensive MVP since LT. 

I know how good Mack has been, but do go look at JJ Watt's numbers this year. Hard to believe that there would be a defensive MVP when 2 guys are at this level, if Watt stays there/Healthy.

Tackles: Watt 20, Mack 17. Sacks: Watt 5, Mack 5. Quarterback hits: Watt 7, Mack 4. Tackles for loss: Watt 6, Mack 3. Forced fumbles: Watt 4, Mack 4.

1 hour ago, Jose Abreu said:

Thinking they might flex the Bears/Pats game to SNF. 

First off, I'm not ready to get ahead of ourselves. Superstitious or whatever.  But that aside, I don't believe NBC can flex games that early in the season. I thought it was only during the last 6 weeks of the season or something? 

10 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

First off, I'm not ready to get ahead of ourselves. Superstitious or whatever.  But that aside, I don't believe NBC can flex games that early in the season. I thought it was only during the last 6 weeks of the season or something? 

Nope, the Pats game is eligible to be flexed: http://www.nfl.com/flexible-schedules/

The random Bears highlight videos at the end of the Pats/Colts game just got me thinking. Some Twitter folks agreed that it was a weird hype video for a TNF game we weren't even playing in, so this is my theory. 

6 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

Nope, the Pats game is eligible to be flexed: http://www.nfl.com/flexible-schedules/

The random Bears highlight videos at the end of the Pats/Colts game just got me thinking. Some Twitter folks agreed that it was a weird hype video for a TNF game we weren't even playing in, so this is my theory. 

With Jimmy G out, that Rams/49ers game looks much less appealing, although that would put the Patriots on Sunday Night two weeks in a row, not that NBC minds.

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

I love prime time games. I really enjoy Red Zone, but at this point I feel like the Bears deserve my total attention, so it sort of sucks. 

First world problems :)

This totally. RedZone is the greatest channel ever, but when the Bears are on you can't watch it (unless you have multiple TVs, which I don't).

2 hours ago, bmags said:

Probably in minority but I'd rather every bears game be at noon on sunday.

Yeah...I kinda hear ya there.  Out here tho...they start at 10am...damn that's early to start drinkin' beer lol.  Once daylight savings time hits they start at 11am (since we're the only people in the US that doesn't do daylight savings for some reason).

9 minutes ago, Wanne said:

I think they'd have a hard time bumping Rams and 9ers...who knows.

It's easy now with Jimmy G out for the season.  The Rams/49ers matchup isn't nearly as compelling if the Bears win next week and go home 4-1 to face the Patriots.  

2 hours ago, bmags said:

Probably in minority but I'd rather every bears game be at noon on sunday.

Absolutely.  And I feel this way even more now that I'm living in Europe.  Games start at 7pm here.  So it's like Sunday Night Football every week.

I struggled the first 2 weeks of the year.  The next day at work was awful.  I was going to bed at 6am, sleeping for 2 hours, and then going into work.

As a ticket holder, I definitely prefer the noon starts, night games are such a pain. 3:00 starts were fun when I used to make a whole day event of the game, but those times have passed.  Plus, the Bears haven't had those 3:00 starts in a while since they started sucking.

3 hours ago, LittleHurt05 said:

As a ticket holder, I definitely prefer the noon starts, night games are such a pain. 3:00 starts were fun when I used to make a whole day event of the game, but those times have passed.  Plus, the Bears haven't had those 3:00 starts in a while since they started sucking.

This is my exact situation. Noon games all the way. Too many games to be tired on Monday or Tuesday mornings. My students don't like it when I'm tired and cranky.