Official 2018-19 NFL Thread

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Vikings are a different team now guys. 

If everyone agrees with you that the Bears will lose every game until the end of time will you just find another thread to hot take 

That game sucked and it may end up pushing bears out of playoffs.

But in one of those games where bears played bad on road in outlier weather it took 4-5 horrible plays to also cause them to lose. Any one of them not happening means bears probably win.

Updating your priors dramatically from that being dramatic. Trubisky was pretty good. The d is not this bad. It’s just a bad game.

it may be two bad games. But sometimes the NFL is dumb: the John fox bears beat the Steelers last year.

7 minutes ago, Tony said:

Or create a whole new one, in a different forum, to “apologize” for having awful takes, then make empty promises like “I won’t post in the NFL thread until after the New England game”

I wasn't intending to post today, but I already screwed that up with the Howard trade rumor post. If you guys want me to take a 2 week vacation, I still will. See you in 2 weeks after the game. Later guys. On the bright side, Trubisky looks decent. Everyone makes a fuck up every now and then and we can't expect him to be great right away. He's young. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

6 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

What’s the wager? If they win 9 or less, you owe me $100. If they win 10 or more, I owe you $100.

Headed south fast means a team with a 7.5 O/U before the season now is winning 9 games? what in the hell? What does heading south fast exactly mean to you? 9 wins?

10 minutes ago, Boogua said:

Headed south fast means a team with a 7.5 O/U before the season now is winning 9 games? what in the hell? What does heading south fast exactly mean to you? 9 wins?

If you start 3-1 and then finish the year 5-7 or 6-6, that’s south. I don’t care what the Bears o/u was before the year. They’re 5 games in now.

Edited by soxfan49

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

Quick passes nullify the pass rush and gas the defenders. Secondary can't tackle. Dont give pass rushers the opportunity to get to the QB. 

Don't give the pass rushers the opportunity to get to the QB? This is a revolutionary idea from the tape. I'm shocked no one has come up with this before. I say teams should practice this. This must be the new analytics in football.

Edited by ptatc
  • Haha 3

36 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

If you start 3-1 and then finish the year 5-7 or 6-6, that’s south. I don’t care what the Bears o/u was before the year. They’re 5 games in now.

Ha, got it. So 9 wins is headed south. I guess no bet then.

Not gonna lie. I wouldn't mind then heading south to 9 wins. Second year QB, first year coach, most of the team returning. Heading south to 9 wins wouldn't be bad at all to me.

6 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Don't give the pass rushers the opportunity to get to the QB? This is a revolutionary idea from the tape. I'm shocked no one has come up with this before. I say teams should practice this. This must be the new analytics in football.

And the team coming to town runs an offense that is similar. Uh oh.

3 minutes ago, Boogua said:

Ha, got it. So 9 wins is headed south. I guess no bet then.

Not gonna lie. I wouldn't mind then heading south to 9 wins. Second year QB, first year coach, most of the team returning. Heading south to 9 wins wouldn't be bad at all to me.

It wouldn’t have been before the year for me either, but when you start 3-1, I expect more than 8 or 9 wins. If they win 8 or 9 games, I’d bet the entire organization would be pissed.

2 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

And the team coming to town runs an offense that is similar. Uh oh.

It wouldn’t have been before the year for me either, but when you start 3-1, I expect more than 8 or 9 wins. If they win 8 or 9 games, I’d bet the entire organization would be pissed.

8 wins? Probably. 9 wins I bet they'd still be pretty optimistic even after going south the rest of the way. 

Depends on how they look going south to 9 wins. Is Mitch making progress? Injuries? Nagy still calling plays like John Fox in close games late? I think that will determine how they feel about heading south to 9 wins.

Lots of blame that can be thrown around today, and that PI on Burton that nullified the 4th TD pass was questionable at best...

But despite all the miscues, the Bears had every chance in the world to win in overtime. Unfortunately, "super aggressive" Nagy decided to become ultra-conservative. His defense was, "if we passed [on 3rd and 5 in OT] I'd be standing here responding to you asking why we took a sack". So, in essence, he's coaching based on media criticism and not winning games.

Obviously passing could've resulted in a sack. Or a touchdown. And running it could've resulted in a fumble. The hypothetical game is great, but there is a higher probability of a 1st down on 3rd and 5 when you pass while the defense is expecting run, instead of running right into them. Playing conservatively for 54 yard field goals is what has caused all these ties and overtime losses in the NFL this year, and this style of playcalling is what cost Nagy in KC and against Green Bay last month.

If he really trusts his quarterback so much (who has been very good now for two straight games), he needs to let him throw the ball and increase the odds of a shorter field goal. 

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

The fact that this post was even made is telling me the amount of football stupid I'm dealing with in this thread. I shouldn't even have to respond to it. If nobody understands the offensive concepts of quick screens, hot reads, etc and why they were devised in the first place then I'm just going to stick to baseball here.

I award you no points,and may god have mercy on your souls. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

53 minutes ago, ptatc said:

This is exactly correct.  They've played two legit QB's...one that played half the game on one leg and another with one of the worst WR crews around.  The Bears can't stop a decent hurry up/spread offense.  Their pass defense is the pass rush...they don't get there and they can't cover me in a phone booth.

And don't give me any stats that says Amos, Jackson is good, ect (just like MLB defensive metrics are complete BS)...ya'all saw the tape and have seen the tape.

7 minutes ago, champagne030 said:

This is exactly correct.  They've played two legit QB's...one that played half the game on one leg and another with one of the worst WR crews around.  The Bears can't stop a decent hurry up/spread offense.  Their pass defense is the pass rush...they don't get there and they can't cover me in a phone booth.

And don't give me any stats that says Amos, Jackson is good, ect (just like MLB defensive metrics are complete BS)...ya'all saw the tape and have seen the tape.

Thank you thank you thank you. Glad I have one person here who actually knows their football 

Edited by Jack Parkman

5 minutes ago, champagne030 said:

Jackson’s a ball hawk. Tackling? Fuck, you and I could do better.

Today’s tape was evidence as to why Amos will be walking via FA. He makes some big hits but he doesn’t make any splash plays. Another exhibit of why PFF is a joke.

2 hours ago, fathom said:

he was pissy in his post game presser...four "no comments" and overall pissy at questions.  I like that he's pissed...but he's got nobody to blame (well...Fangio too)...but nobody to blame but himself.  He gets cute when he should be pounding the ball on 1st and goal...and when he needs a critical 4 yards he gets all John Fox.  He sure has a lot to learn about being a HC.  This team WAS NOT prepared to play today....glad they had a leisurely week off.  Probably filled up reading all the press clippings about how fucking great they are. 

But you just can't continually leave points on the field like that.  I don't mind losing (much...well that's a lie)...but PISSING AWAY games like this and the Packer game....goddamn.  This team should be 5-0 and in the drivers seat of this division.  To come out like they did today on offense and basically waste an entire half blowing off the dust of you comfy two weeks...complete bullshit.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tony said:

This is where it becomes way too easy to blame the coach, and not the players. You’ve got a veteran defense on the field, and on top of it Nagy doesn’t even coach the defense. He’s the head coach of the offense. At some point, someone needs to make a tackle. 

Nagy made some mistakes today, some of which I posted about. But this loss wasn’t on the coaches.

Correct. Everyone’s obsessed with that 3rd and 4 call in OT. Even if they throw it, there’s no guarantee it’s a completion. They also paid Parkey a ton of money. 54 yard FG’s aren’t easy, but if he’s struggling to make 45-55 yard FG’s in places like Arizona and Miami, I worry about him come December.

They turned the ball over twice inside the 11. Those are killer turnovers.

Edited by soxfan49

9 minutes ago, Tony said:

This is where it becomes way too easy to blame the coach, and not the players. You’ve got a veteran defense on the field, and on top of it Nagy doesn’t even coach the defense. He’s the head coach of the offense. At some point, someone needs to make a tackle. 

Nagy made some mistakes today, some of which I posted about. But this loss wasn’t on the coaches.

But the bottom line is, despite all the poor play, the coach had a chance to put us in position to win the game in overtime and he failed to even try. 

6 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

But the bottom line is, despite all the poor play, the coach had a chance to put us in position to win the game in overtime and he failed to even try. 

He ran the ball with what’s supposed to be a top 10 NFL back who got no yards. There’s absolutely no guarantee that a pass works, or that Parkey even makes a shorter kick. Too many what if’s for me. They turned the ball over twice in the red zone. That’s not on Nagy.

Edited by soxfan49