Official 2018-19 NFL Thread

4 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

If you're gonna constantly share opinions that can easily be outed as biased or nonsense, there should be a reasonable expectation that you'll receive backlash. 

Fair enough. I don't believe that they are either though. I'll believe they'll get to even 8-8 again when they finish a season with 8 or more wins.

I believe the Bears have a decent QB when they get a Pro Bowl nod or two.

Until then, they're bad. 

I think it is more reasonable to go into a Bears season with zero expectations rather than any whatsoever. They have to earn it. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

Fair enough. I don't believe that they are either though. I'll believe they'll get to even 8-8 again when they finish a season with 8 or more wins. Until then, they're bad. 

There's just no way you could form that opinion based on the games you've watched this season. I don't care what happened in the 90s, or 2008, or even 2016, this is basically a brand new staff and roster and none of those data points should matter. The team that has taken the field, recency bias aside, is clearly a good football team that doesn't "suck".

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

There has been a lot of failure over my lifetime as a Bears fan. I am too young to remember when Ditka and the Bears were good. My memory goes back to watching Wanne's Bears as a kid. There has been just a ton of suck. I enjoy football, and the Bears, but have zero faith they will ever figure it out. I used to have a saying, that the Bears are just grown up Cubs. Hopefully the Bears will grow up and become a real franchise in their sport like the Cubs eventually did. 

Nobody cares about your history.  We all have seen the same shit as you.  Woe is us, let's blame Trubisky on Moses Moreno, and the defense was bad today because Trestman was coaching.  Who fucking cares.  All you do is b**** in this thread, you clot this thread and everyone has to take the time out to refute your nonsense.  

And please dont  go make another fucking mea culpa thread in PHT that I have to move to SLAM.  

8 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Are you implying that you're no longer excited because of today's game, or am I reading too much into your use of past tense? 

I'm saying that my grammar sucks, but I'm actually excited about the Bears again and I lived and died with this game more than any in the past several years. 

21 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

There's just no way you could form that opinion based on the games you've watched this season. I don't care what happened in the 90s, or 2008, or even 2016, this is basically a brand new staff and roster and none of those data points should matter. The team that has taken the field, recency bias aside, is clearly a good football team that doesn't "suck".

For the most part, you're right, but they still have to earn it. They haven't passed the smell test in my book yet. Allowing 380 yards and 3 TDs to Brock Osweiler doesn't pass the test in my book. Blowing a 17 pt lead in the 4th quarter to a 1-legged Aaron Rodgers doesn't either. Don't get me started about that Cardinals game. 

They just don't pass, even this year. 

I get that teams lose games. None of the teams they played and lost to were acceptable in my book. If they were to come out, play a nice game and lose 24-20 to NE next week, Trubisky throws for a TD and a pick, and the defense plays admirably but they just get beat by the hoodie, that would be an acceptable loss. Blowing double digit 4th quarter leads is never acceptable. Neither is making a crappy backup look like  a good starter. There are even unacceptable wins in my book.(see the Cardinals game)  Making crappy players look good isn't a fun thing either. 

They say that "style points" don't count, only Ws and Ls. I disagree. If you  lose 5 games with style, and look good in 9 of your wins, you probably are a better team than a team that loses 3 but looks crappy in 8 of their wins. 

example: 2001 Bears vs. 2007 Giants. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

The fact that this post was even made is telling me the amount of football stupid I'm dealing with in this thread. I shouldn't even have to respond to it. If nobody understands the offensive concepts of quick screens, hot reads, etc and why they were devised in the first place then I'm just going to stick to baseball here.

I award you no points,and may god have mercy on your souls. 

You forgot: we are all dummer for having to read this. Get your movie quotes right.

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

Nobody cares about your history.  We all have seen the same shit as you.  Woe is us, let's blame Trubisky on Moses Moreno, and the defense was bad today because Trestman was coaching.  Who fucking cares.  All you do is b**** in this thread, you clot this thread and everyone has to take the time out to refute your nonsense.  

And please dont  go make another fucking mea culpa thread in PHT that I have to move to SLAM.  

I don't b**** just to b****, with nothing to back it up. I have valid football reasons for saying they suck, and I really don't know what the rest of you are watching. I could give a laundry list of crappy plays, decisions, etc. If you want to say that is nitpicking, then we can agree to disagree. To say that the Bears defense is only good when the opposing OC is an idiot isn't wrong. The quick game kills them. The DBs can't cover anyone if the pass rush doesn't affect the QB. They can't tackle for shit. Maybe I'm not sold because I had to see if they could stop a quick passing game after the second half of the Packer game. Surprise! A decent OC in Gase did the Same. Damn. Thing. And shredded them. Until they prove they can beat a decent team they're bumslayers, just like they were under Lovie. Sorry. I don't have enough evidence that things have changed. I will admit that going from bum to bumslayer is a step in the right direction. I'm not ready to call them a playoff team, or anywhere close to it. The problem is that they don't have any way to upgrade the roster if they need to. Their cap is tied up, and they don't have a 1st round pick for the next two seasons. Mitch has to get a hell of a lot better for them to make the leap from a 9 win ceiling where they are now, to a 13 win ceiling where they need to be. 

Again, I realize even Super Bowl winners aren't perfect. They are nowhere near a SB contender. Not even close. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

9 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't b**** just to b****, with nothing to back it up. I have valid football reasons for saying they suck, and I really don't know what the rest of you are watching. I could give a laundry list of crappy plays, decisions, etc. If you want to say that is nitpicking, then we can agree to disagree. To say that the Bears defense is only good when the opposing OC is an idiot isn't wrong. The quick game kills them. The DBs can't cover anyone if the pass rush doesn't affect the QB. They can't tackle for shit. Maybe I'm not sold because I had to see if they could stop a quick passing game after the second half of the Packer game. Surprise! A decent OC in Gase did the Same. Damn. Thing. And shredded them. Until they prove they can beat a decent team they're bumslayers, just like they were under Lovie. Sorry. I don't have enough evidence that things have changed. I will admit that going from bum to bumslayer is a step in the right direction. I'm not ready to call them a playoff team, or anywhere close to it. The problem is that they don't have any way to upgrade the roster if they need to. Their cap is tied up, and they don't have a 1st round pick for the next two seasons. Mitch has to get a hell of a lot better for them to make the leap from a 9 win ceiling where they are now, to a 13 win ceiling where they need to be. 

Again, I realize even Super Bowl winners aren't perfect. They are nowhere near a SB contender. Not even close. 

No, you b**** just to b****.   Your prime reason for complaining and saying that Mitch sucks the bears suck everyone sucks is because of teams from when you started to watch until now.  You are monotonous and tiresome and this thread is better when you aren't trying to tell everyone your thoughts for the 500th time without changing anything.   

• Love 1

10 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

What if they beat NE 31-20? Will they still suck?

A few weeks ago it was decided the bears would only go as far as Trubisky would take them. He has back to back 300+ yard, 3 TD or more games with 40+ yards rushing, while the D has an atrocious game and they go 1-1. Now the narrative is actually the D is terrible and the team is bad.

While it's true dink and dunk has been effective on them, that's not why they've lost. They've lost games from their defense because they've given up big plays, something they didn't do last year, and something I think they can do better at preventing. The big plays were not "coverage" issues, they were tackling issues, so the idea that they can't cover unless they have a pass rush is unfounded.

And if the Patriots drop 30 on them, that's because the patriots drop 30 on pretty much every team. If you haven't noticed, they've been in the super bowl like every damn year.

44 minutes ago, Brian said:

Bumslayers under Lovie? The coach they went to a Super Bowl with and another NFC title game with Jay Cutler under center.

Thought dude was going on hiatus after the season.

Rex Grossman under center for the super bowl appearance unfortunately.  They win the Super Bowl with Cutler or any not complete trash QB. 

1 hour ago, Brian said:

Bumslayers under Lovie? The coach they went to a Super Bowl with and another NFC title game with Jay Cutler under center.

Thought dude was going on hiatus after the season.

If Cutler doesn't strain his MCL in 2010 and doesn't break his thumb in 2011 (thanks, Knox) they probably win a Super Bowl.

28 minutes ago, whitesoxfan99 said:

Rex Grossman under center for the super bowl appearance unfortunately.  They win the Super Bowl with Cutler or any not complete trash QB. 

I'm aware Rex was QB on the Super Bowl team. You just misread what I wrote. And they may get to another SB if Cutler doesn't hurt his knee or if Hanie doesn't throw a pick 6 to...sigh...BJ Raji.

21 minutes ago, Brian said:

I'm aware Rex was QB on the Super Bowl team. You just misread what I wrote. And they may get to another SB if Cutler doesn't hurt his knee or if Hanie doesn't throw a pick 6 to...sigh...BJ Raji.

And obviously anything can happen, but with the way the D played after Cutler's broken thumb in 2011, they were probably going to make another run at it. I'll never forget how sad I was when I read Vaughn McClure's tweet that night.

2 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

And obviously anything can happen, but with the way the D played after Cutler's broken thumb in 2011, they were probably going to make another run at it. I'll never forget how sad I was when I read Vaughn McClure's tweet that night.

yeah, that team was good. That San Diego game the team was on all cylinders and then we had the worst qb ever play rest of season. That denver loss...ugh.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

A few weeks ago it was decided the bears would only go as far as Trubisky would take them. He has back to back 300+ yard, 3 TD or more games with 40+ yards rushing, while the D has an atrocious game and they go 1-1. Now the narrative is actually the D is terrible and the team is bad.

While it's true dink and dunk has been effective on them, that's not why they've lost. They've lost games from their defense because they've given up big plays, something they didn't do last year, and something I think they can do better at preventing. The big plays were not "coverage" issues, they were tackling issues, so the idea that they can't cover unless they have a pass rush is unfounded.

And if the Patriots drop 30 on them, that's because the patriots drop 30 on pretty much every team. If you haven't noticed, they've been in the super bowl like every damn year.

I'd rather have lost this way than with the D playing stellar and Biscuit laying an egg. The defense is better than this and they will clean it up. Trubisky still left plays on the field but you can see real progress out of him.  They freaking left 2 TD's on the field (the OPI followed by the pick) and the Howard fumble (he had a TD if he doesn't fumble).  Than there was the Cohen play. Just a mess of a game, but if they execute they are putting up at least another 2 TD's (and I'm ignoring the couple missed plays in the first half).

I didn't see much of the game (had a kids event) but the D clearly read too much of its press clippings and played real bad. They were pantsed and they better step up from it. Great defenses don't give up as many big plays as this defense has. They need to clean it up.  

46 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

If Cutler doesn't strain his MCL in 2010 and doesn't break his thumb in 2011 (thanks, Knox) they probably win a Super Bowl.

I always wonder what happens to the Bears if that didn't happen. Jay was in a groove in that Martz offense and that team looked phenomenal. Was so fired up after we crush the Chargers. Remember getting a text that evening from "Shipps" saying something about Cutler being hurt and I was like WTF is he talking about.  Of course the text was true and the franchise path was altered from there.  

2 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I'd rather have lost this way than with the D playing stellar and Biscuit laying an egg. The defense is better than this and they will clean it up. Trubisky still left plays on the field but you can see real progress out of him.  They freaking left 2 TD's on the field (the OPI followed by the pick) and the Howard fumble (he had a TD if he doesn't fumble).  Than there was the Cohen play. Just a mess of a game, but if they execute they are putting up at least another 2 TD's (and I'm ignoring the couple missed plays in the first half).

I didn't see much of the game (had a kids event) but the D clearly read too much of its press clippings and played real bad. They were pantsed and they better step up from it. Great defenses don't give up as many big plays as this defense has. They need to clean it up.  

No one will let it be an excuse because it clearly shouldn't be, but the d line looked completely gassed starting in the 2nd quarter. It was 100 degree heat with no wind and that d line that pushes oline into the QB was gone, and they were often just standing up and playing run.

That shouldn't be an excuse because they are professionals, but I love akiem hicks and it was hard to watch his effort and he was on his knees between every play.

16 minutes ago, bmags said:

No one will let it be an excuse because it clearly shouldn't be, but the d line looked completely gassed starting in the 2nd quarter. It was 100 degree heat with no wind and that d line that pushes oline into the QB was gone, and they were often just standing up and playing run.

That shouldn't be an excuse because they are professionals, but I love akiem hicks and it was hard to watch his effort and he was on his knees between every play.

Yeah. Twice now that the D was gassed/out of shape. Shouldn't happen as much as it has, but I believe they will clean it up.  280 yards or something after the catch. Just crazy. Fangio has plenty of film to leverage. I think we'll see a strong performance next week. Unfortunately, we've put a lot of film out there on how to potentially beat this defense, so you know the Pats and Brady will be all over that.  

All that said, I'm excited we had another good effort out of Mitch. The key to the franchises LT success is his growth and I'm much more encouraged now than I've been at any point (sans that 1st pre-season game).  Hopefully that trend continues.  

Just now, Chisoxfn said:

Yeah. Twice now that the D was gassed/out of shape. Shouldn't happen as much as it has, but I believe they will clean it up.  280 yards or something after the catch. Just crazy. Fangio has plenty of film to leverage. I think we'll see a strong performance next week. Unfortunately, we've put a lot of film out there on how to potentially beat this defense, so you know the Pats and Brady will be all over that.  

Three of the by reputation best defenses in the league have all given up 30 point + games now to pretty meh offenses in the jags, rams and bears.

Ravens of course have been pretty suffocating, so have bills.