Official 2018-19 NFL Thread

9 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Rodgers is just unbelievable. 

If Beathard doesn’t overthrow Kittle on that 3rd and ~4, it’s a different game. I also have no clue why an offensive HC would stop running the ball when they were averaging like 6.5 ypc. Mostert looked great.

Regardless, yep, Rodgers is unreal. It’s to the point where even if you give him the ball back with 1 second left, you probably left him too much time.

On 10/2/2018 at 12:26 PM, Chicago White Sox said:

You can’t have both Jack.  Either you can acquire Mack (costing cap space & draft resources) and build an elite defense or you can save those assets for a rainy day if our GM is wrong & Mitch ultimately flops.  I’m not sure what the latter really accomplishes if your goal is to win a championship.  I’d rather trust our front offices evaluation of Mitch and go for it while he has a cheap contract.

Hey guy. DM me when you get in a minute.

#youknowthefedslistening

1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

https://deadspin.com/big-fucking-shock-the-nfls-move-to-l-a-looks-to-be-a-1829815959

If only there was some sort of history of this sort of thing happening before, then they might have known that LA really isnt much of an NFL city.....

Once that stadium gets open it'll work well for the Rams. The city might not be an NFL city but there's enough money there and people there to support one. No one wanted the Chargers there, they belong south in SD.

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Once that stadium gets open it'll work well for the Rams. The city might not be an NFL city but there's enough money there and people there to support one. No one wanted the Chargers there, they belong south in SD.

Doubtful.  La isn't a fan and never has been 

6 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

It's amazing with how popular the NFL is that some teams just seem to struggle. 

San Diego was a fine market, they just demanded that the city pony up the cost for a fancy new billion dollar stadium with all the trimmings and the city just wasn't going to pay that. Nor should they.

It's funny how hard it is to think of a city that will be successful.

It feels like MLS has prospered in heavy transplant cities, where they can adopt a hometown team because the newcomers didn't have strong allegiances to a childhood team.

But NFL really seems to struggle in big transplant cities for years. But OTOH, while attendance may be less of a problem in say, San Antonio, who knows if tv ratings would be as good as even a struggling LA team.

2 hours ago, GoSox05 said:

It's amazing with how popular the NFL is that some teams just seem to struggle. 

I feel like all of the struggling teams have pretty logical explanations as to why they are struggling though.  

LA is never been a loyal sports town.  The Raiders were always Oakland's team, so LA never caught on to them, then their stadium situation was so shitty in Oakland.

Florida is not the most loyal either, and Jacksonville might just be too small.

San Diego had the worst stadium in the league and taxpayers refused to pay for a new one.

The Redskins are struggling, but fans will be back once the owner stops being so incompetent.  

24 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

I feel like all of the struggling teams have pretty logical explanations as to why they are struggling though.  

LA is never been a loyal sports town.  The Raiders were always Oakland's team, so LA never caught on to them, then their stadium situation was so shitty in Oakland.

Florida is not the most loyal either, and Jacksonville might just be too small.

San Diego had the worst stadium in the league and taxpayers refused to pay for a new one.

The Redskins are struggling, but fans will be back once the owner stops being so incompetent.  

Jacksonville is a smaller city, compared to New York or Chicago, but the Colts do pretty well in Indy.

Redskins are just temporarily having problems, worst owner in the league is a big part of it.  Although the team isn't that bad.

It's weird how sports teams seem to catch on in some places and not others. It doesn't seem to always be associated with the size of the city, see L.A. and Miami.  It also doesn't seem to be how well a team does. The Rams had plenty of success in St. Louis and just never caught on.  Jaguars had stretch of losing, the past 5-6 but have almost half their seasons in the league being over .500.

It would be a cool study to look at all sports like that.  I also wonder if any league has ever thought about doing something like Green Bay.  Putting a professional team in a small town/city or if that was just something that can't happen again.

The best thing about the NFL losing money in LA (especially the Chargers) is that for at least a decade, the NFL held the threat of moving to LA (real or not) to try to coerce local/municipal governments into giving them massive tax subsidies for them to pocket profits. Now they can't do that anymore.

1 hour ago, lostfan said:

The best thing about the NFL losing money in LA (especially the Chargers) is that for at least a decade, the NFL held the threat of moving to LA (real or not) to try to coerce local/municipal governments into giving them massive tax subsidies for them to pocket profits. Now they can't do that anymore.

QFT. 

If the owner wants a new stadium, either find the money or deal with it. 

It isn't up to the city or state to fund your new stadium. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

6 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

QFT. 

If the owner wants a new stadium, either find the money or deal with it. 

It isn't up to the city or state to fund your new stadium. 

Or they can move and leave the city without a team.

2 hours ago, ptatc said:

I'd dare them to leave big markets. Just try. 

Like if the Bears needed a new stadium, they're not leaving Chicago. It just isn't happening. 

In most sports, there isn't a viable location for teams to move to anyway. 

The only reason I think it is a possibility that the Sox move is that there are more viable options in baseball for teams to move to than in other sports. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 hours ago, ptatc said:

I'm increasingly okay with this. If a sports team wants to be in a city I live in they need to pay taxes like everyone else does, otherwise they can go fuck themselves. 

This has never really been an issue in Chicago (save for Reinsdorf when I was a little kid, in different times) and probably won't be, but it's the principle for me. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, lostfan said:

I'm increasingly okay with this. If a sports team wants to be in a city I live in they need to pay taxes like everyone else does, otherwise they can go fuck themselves. 

This has never really been an issue in Chicago (save for Reinsdorf when I was a little kid, in different times) and probably won't be, but it's the principle for me. 

This times infinity. 

Municipal governments need to get together nationwide and say they're not going to be held hostage by billionaires with their toys. If nobody offers them a publicly funded stadium, they have no choice. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

3 minutes ago, lostfan said:

If the owners have no loyalty to the city and their fan base, why should their fans have loyalty to them?

7 minutes ago, lostfan said:

No doubt. I was just giving another option for the poster's  point. Its good business for the sports team to have someone else help pay for the stadium. It doesn't mean the politicians need to fall for it though.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'd dare them to leave big markets. Just try. 

Like if the Bears needed a new stadium, they're not leaving Chicago. It just isn't happening. 

In most sports, there isn't a viable location for teams to move to anyway. 

The only reason I think it is a possibility that the Sox move is that there are more viable options in baseball for teams to move to than in other sports. 

I think baseball is actually has more viable options. They don't need as large of an attendance per game and they can have smaller less expensive stadia as there are more games. The NFL has fewer games and needs larger crowds. The NFL shares national revenue more so than other sports so they need to generate more local revenue.

Edit: Oops read it wrong the first time. Too early for me. I agree baseball hasmore options. 

The Bears could move but wouldn't need to leave the Chicago area. The could easily move to Aurora for cheaper more expansive land to build a complex similar to LA new site. 

Edited by ptatc