Official 2018-19 NFL Thread

24 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

I'm sure they could probably trade him.  He has some talent, not sure how high a ceiling.  He is also hurt a lot. 

If that story is true and he threw a fit and than took the ball out after the coaches told him not to.  How do you not cut him?

Sounds like a cincinnatti bengal acquisition.

12 minutes ago, bmags said:

Re: Trubisky, I'm actually feeling so much better than after the Cardinals game.

He used to be on point to start games, then fall apart for the rest and have very meh performances.

Now he is actually more volatile, but the highs are higher and lows lower than those first 16 or so games. I like that! I also like that for the last several games he is actually finishing the game on fire rather than completely futile. Last year to start of this year, it seemed impossible that he could put together a game winning drive, now I absolutely believe it.

Also yesterday, in the second half there were several passing plays where he stepped into and around in the pocket before delivering a throw. That just was NOT happening in the first 3 games, he would have bailed immediately.

His innaccuracy gaps need to be straightened out for him to become great, but his rushing is making up for it. It's "good" rushing too, nothing feels too dangerous about it, he's been good at sliding.

That said, if he doesn't clear up the large portions of games he doesn't know how to throw, that's basically Blake Bortles. SO yeah, he needs improvement but I feel good about seeing high ceiling play if only for portions of games.

I've been surprised that for how much he runs the ball and isn't afraid to take a bit of a hit from time to time or at least challenge defensive players, I don't think he's fumbled the ball on a run yet.

Maybe it is just me, but from what I have seen, the inaccuracy issues seem to be linked more to footwork under pressure and while scrambling, then to do to actual inaccuracy.  Teams are blitzing the crap out of Mitch and trying to make him uncomfortable, and it seems to be an issue there versus not being able to make a pass when given time in the pocket.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Maybe it is just me, but from what I have seen, the inaccuracy issues seem to be linked more to footwork under pressure and while scrambling, then to do to actual inaccuracy.  Teams are blitzing the crap out of Mitch and trying to make him uncomfortable, and it seems to be an issue there versus not being able to make a pass when given time in the pocket.

I agree, and when Nagy realizes that screens are the way to beat the blitz (0 vs Patriots, 1 vs Jets [and it went for a 70 yard TD]), teams will stop blitzing as much thus Trubisky will look even better.

4 hours ago, LittleHurt05 said:

Like lostfan said, I don't think completion percentage is a fully accurate gauge, especially with how many short passes they throw in Nagy's offense.  Every game, Mitch goes through a stretch where he just flat out misses a few  open receivers.  It happened in the first half yesterday, and you can't just blame those on the wind.  It hasn't really turned into interceptions, though I don't know if that's just good luck or the manner in which he misses the throws.

He needs to shore those up, when it's a close game, that one big play he misses could be the difference.

I agree and I think the accuracy is something we will see improve over the course of the season and especially heading into next season. Your footwork and fundamentals aren't as sharp when you are thinking and processing. He's gotten better from the first few games, albeit, will have his ocassional lapses and I think it goes back to him still thinking a lot, however, his progress on going through reads, poise in the pocket...all have gotten significantly better from those first few games of the season and give you reasons to think that the arrow could continue to point "up".  

Hard for me to gauge his accuracy this week as the wind conditions looked pretty tough. I was surprised the Bears attempted as many "deep" balls as they did given the conditions. That said, it helps keep the defense honest.  

Really really hope somehow the news on Long isn't what we are all thinking it will be.  Dude has always given it his all and could certainly use a good "break" in terms of health news.  Seperately, I presume Mack and Robinson are both going to be out this week. I think its best to take your chances against the Bills with our existing squad (sans those guys) and hope you have enough to built the Bills and ensure those pieces are available (and healthy) for the key divisional stretches.  

18 hours ago, Tony said:

I don't understand how that makes sense even in the slightest? What am I missing? 

He went to Miami OH and grew up in Dayton, I guess. I don't know. I'm just posting what the odds are.

BTW, the new favorite is Zac Taylor, the Rams QB coach. My money would be on Lincoln Riley or Matt Campbell.

1 hour ago, GoSox05 said:

What sport are the Bills playing?

What's crazy is that their defense is good, top 10, potential to be top 5 even.  But it doesn't matter because that offense is so dreadful.  It's way worse than the old Bears teams under Lovie.

This was a playoff team last year.  Tyrod Taylor isn't a great QB by any stretch, but they just got rid of him with no plan B.  Peterman might be the worst QB in NFL history, and Allen was a project, so he was never supposed to start this early.