Official 2018-19 NFL Thread

8 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

This season is probably the most fun I have had watching since the last  Super Bowl team

That year was D and Special Teams with Rex stuff. This offense is fun. Sometimes I wish they would run more in certain situations but hard to complain.

Incredible game from Mitchell, hard to believe it's the same QB as the second half vs Green Bay where he looked like a deer in headlights.

Having the stud WR and pass rusher back was huge.

Very concerned about Parkey, but can you really find better off the street?

Nagy is really showing his youth when coaching with the lead.  When he needs to be aggressive, he gets nervous and runs conservatively, then when a run play is needed he start gets fancy again.  Hopefully they keep having the lead so he can work on that.

3 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

Incredible game from Mitchell, hard to believe it's the same QB as the second half vs Green Bay where he looked like a deer in headlights.

Having the stud WR and pass rusher back was huge.

Very concerned about Parkey, but can you really find better off the street?

Nagy is really showing his youth when coaching with the lead.  When he needs to be aggressive, he gets nervous and runs conservatively, then when a run play is needed he start gets fancy again.  Hopefully they keep having the lead so he can work on that.

Every non kicker, ex Bear, was calling for his head. But they are sticking with him. That was really weird. 4 off the upright have to be a record. He said afterwards he was kicking them right down the middle and the wind would take them. After one or two, wouldn't you change your thinking? 

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Every non kicker, ex Bear, was calling for his head. But they are sticking with him. That was really weird. 4 off the upright have to be a record. He said afterwards he was kicking them right down the middle and the wind would take them. After one or two, wouldn't you change your thinking? 

Weird how the Lions kicker was completely unaffected by this wind

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Since they cut him, Robbie Gould is only 67-70 on FG attempts. He has missed 6 extra points.

That's kind of a crazy stat to do so much better on FG.  I went back to look and Robbie was pretty mediocre in 2014 & 2015.  

9-12 in 2014, though I think he got hurt, then 33-39 in 2015.  That's not awful, but I specifically remember two home games in 2015 that he blew on missed field goals.  When they cut him, I didn't think it was a bad move, he looked like he was at the end of the road, but kickers do have long shelf lives and he figured it out.

35 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

That's kind of a crazy stat to do so much better on FG.  I went back to look and Robbie was pretty mediocre in 2014 & 2015.  

9-12 in 2014, though I think he got hurt, then 33-39 in 2015.  That's not awful, but I specifically remember two home games in 2015 that he blew on missed field goals.  When they cut him, I didn't think it was a bad move, he looked like he was at the end of the road, but kickers do have long shelf lives and he figured it out.

Very volatile position outside of a few mainstays throughout the league. You're definitely right when most  fans thought Gould was on the way out of the NFL so in hindsight it looks awful but don't hate the Bears for going another route at the time.

Edited by TheTruth05

Really annoying to see Parkey pass the buck to Jesus on those missed FGs, pair that with the report of him refusing to go to Soldier Field to practice kicks makes me have little confidence in the guy. Not to mention the guy Miami replaced him with is way better than him.

Edited by TheTruth05

17 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

Really annoying to see Parkey pass the buck to Jesus on those missed FGs, pair that with the report of him refusing to go to Soldier Field to practice kicks makes me have little confidence in the guy. Not to mention the guy Miami replaced him with is way better than him.

Why would he go to Soldier Field? It’s not like he has a contract to earn. He got paid already.

23 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

When you are using the same excuse as Nathan Peterman, that's never a good thing. 

• Haha 1

I think Nagy is making the right play in supporting Parkey. The guy has talent but is obviously in a funk. I think part of it is, people always underestimate how hard it is to kick in soldier field. The concerning part is, it can be hard to overcome a funk, so while I think an off-season could help cure things, I don't know that the regular season will save him.

And no, cutting Gould was never a good move...I debated many on here at the time, but that is the past. Yes, he lost a game or two for them late one season, but they were not gimme kicks and guys who have excelled like he had deserved the benefit of the doubt. You kick as long as Gould has and you are going to have the occasional off game. All that said, I don't know if Gould would have kicked as good as he has with the Bears...I think the release motivated him to put in additional work and make some corrections that might not have happened if he stayed in Chicago.  

I was fine cutting Gould, but the savings did not end up doing much, and the main problem, and this is still an issue, is Pace has not really endorsed competition among his kickers. He should have had multiple kickers every year seriously pushing o'donnel and parkey and barth, and he only gave token gestures toward it.

21 minutes ago, Brian said:

Didn't the money saved by cutting Gould bring in Hicks? Maybe I am a year off, but if so, it was the right move.

The Bears haven't been short on cap space at any point during Pace's tenure, so I don't think cutting Gould had any impact on who we signed (especially since it wasn't until the very end of the pre-season when they cut him).  

6 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

I think Nagy is making the right play in supporting Parkey. The guy has talent but is obviously in a funk. I think part of it is, people always underestimate how hard it is to kick in soldier field. The concerning part is, it can be hard to overcome a funk, so while I think an off-season could help cure things, I don't know that the regular season will save him.

And no, cutting Gould was never a good move...I debated many on here at the time, but that is the past. Yes, he lost a game or two for them late one season, but they were not gimme kicks and guys who have excelled like he had deserved the benefit of the doubt. You kick as long as Gould has and you are going to have the occasional off game. All that said, I don't know if Gould would have kicked as good as he has with the Bears...I think the release motivated him to put in additional work and make some corrections that might not have happened if he stayed in Chicago.  

What’s the excuse for him missing in the heat in Miami and him missing in a dome in Arizona?

We now have a miss from 45 in Arizona (dome), from 53 in Miami (hot and humid), 41 vs the Jets (wind and rain), and four short ones vs the Lions (sunny and cold). Where exactly can he make a field goal consistently? The moon?

14 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

What’s the excuse for him missing in the heat in Miami and him missing in a dome in Arizona?

We now have a miss from 45 in Arizona (dome), from 53 in Miami (hot and humid), 41 vs the Jets (wind and rain), and four short ones vs the Lions (sunny and cold). Where exactly can he make a field goal consistently? The moon?

Umm....kickers are going to miss field goals. Entering the game against the Lions, I didn't have any massive issue with Parkey.  Was he great, no, was he bad, no.  I'm certainly not going to blast a guy for missing a 53 yard field goal.  Those are not gimme kicks, therefor, he is going to have misses.  The Arizona game was a high percentage shot and the Jets game was ugly so not one you'd like miss, but I can certainly understand it given the conditions.  The Lions game was plain old awful. I'm not even sure what happened or if he just is that uncomfortable with the conditions as it seemed like he thought he made every kick. And usually kickers have a pretty good idea when they hit it, what they've done, so something was amiss yesterday. 

My bigger fear is that at somepoint, these type of games can get in your head (at least for the season) and those memories can be tough to get rid of.    

• Like 1