Official 2018-19 NFL Thread

Huge win! Mitch had one awful pick and I don’t even know what happened that other pick. It looked like illegal contact since Robinson was getting held back by dB...that said ball was nowhere to be seen. 

Not a great week for Robinson. I saw shaheen was evaluated for concussion? Is he made of glass? Hopefully he’s okay cause I want him on the field making plays for Mitch and the boys!!!

Lets keep it rolling Thursday against the Lions. Going to be a dogfight...Lions have their top dB back and coming off a big win. You know Lions are going to come out flying. Bears are going to have to play a great game next week! 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

He did already. Did you forget about week 1?

No, but it is going to happen again. My god I was screaming and calling him an idiot the entire 4th quarter. They're lucky that they got that 15 yd penalty on that last drive, otherwise they may have blown the lead again. I have a feeling it is going to happen vs. a team the Bears shouldn't lose to. I can't stand the conservatism. They were dominating the Vikings offense through 3 quarters. Why change anything? 

Edited by Jack Parkman

10 hours ago, pettie4sox said:

That RTP was absolute shit.

nah the league's been calling that consistently all year. Hicks grabbed Cousins and slung him to the ground after he'd already thrown the ball. That is an obvious roughing penalty 9 times out of 10 and if it was Clay Matthews we'd be making fun of him.

edit: to be clear, I don't like that those hits are called as penalties, but the league has been consistent about that this year.

Edited by lostfan

Minnesota's D was playing tight coverage all night, especially in the second half, and Trubisky started forcing passes which isn't something he's done before. His mistakes were usually due to him making bad reads or just missing the throw outright. His reads are MUCH better than back in September but he can't get too reliant on his feet to make plays (even if he's really good at it) and he's gotta start seeing his secondary options at some point, especially against teams that like to blitz.

On Cousins's pick to Amos I knew as soon as he threw the ball with Floyd in his chest that it was going right to a Bears DB, the only question was which one. I've seen Cutler do that many, many times.

3 hours ago, lostfan said:

Minnesota's D was playing tight coverage all night, especially in the second half, and Trubisky started forcing passes which isn't something he's done before. His mistakes were usually due to him making bad reads or just missing the throw outright. His reads are MUCH better than back in September but he can't get too reliant on his feet to make plays (even if he's really good at it) and he's gotta start seeing his secondary options at some point, especially against teams that like to blitz.

On Cousins's pick to Amos I knew as soon as he threw the ball with Floyd in his chest that it was going right to a Bears DB, the only question was which one. I've seen Cutler do that many, many times.

The thing that surprised me is Trubisky's reads have typically been so good.  Yes, there is the ocassional time where he gets flustered and forces something under pressure, but outside of that, most of his mistakes have been of the "misfire" variety vs. bad read.  The 1st one into triple coverage was just a throw that should never get made, but the second one really still confuses me. Something was off there and I still go back to there was a lot of contact between the DB and Robinson, which would make me think there should have been illegal contact.  

I really enjoyed how focused they came out and how well the played in the first half, they were not fazed at all by the big stage.  Granted, if Cousins could hit a wide open receiver in the end zone, it would have played out a little differently, but the Bears definitely came to play.  It's actually fun to attend games again, its been a while!

43 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

The thing that surprised me is Trubisky's reads have typically been so good.  Yes, there is the ocassional time where he gets flustered and forces something under pressure, but outside of that, most of his mistakes have been of the "misfire" variety vs. bad read.  The 1st one into triple coverage was just a throw that should never get made, but the second one really still confuses me. Something was off there and I still go back to there was a lot of contact between the DB and Robinson, which would make me think there should have been illegal contact.  

I didn't really have a problem with that first interception. Mitch saw Gabriel with a step on his man and saw an opportunity to thread the needle with Gabriel in stride, actually made a perfect throw, but half a second too late gave Harris time to recover. He makes that throw a half a second sooner and it's a huge gain with potential for YAC. Good initiative, just didn't execute because Minnesota's secondary is too good. Against Detroit that's probably a TD because they have a terrible secondary. (It also wasn't triple covered when he threw it, the DBs just close on the ball really fast on long throws).

41 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

He also came really close to throwing a pick-6 late in the game in another bad read type of throw.

Not a bad read, just everyone covered and he probably wouldn't have made it on foot so he tried to force a throw for a first down. He got lucky. Throws to covered guys in the flat are dangerous and not worth the risk.

11 minutes ago, lostfan said:

Not a bad read, just everyone covered and he probably wouldn't have made it on foot so he tried to force a throw for a first down. He got lucky. Throws to covered guys in the flat are dangerous and not worth the risk.

He should have thrown away on that throw (given the circumstances but it wasn't a horrible read). The reason it was close to a pick 6 was because he was being pressured and threw off his back foot, which gave Rhodes a much better opportunity to jump the route.  Going back to, sometimes the upside isn't worth the downside.  

33 minutes ago, lostfan said:

I didn't really have a problem with that first interception. Mitch saw Gabriel with a step on his man and saw an opportunity to thread the needle with Gabriel in stride, actually made a perfect throw, but half a second too late gave Harris time to recover. He makes that throw a half a second sooner and it's a huge gain with potential for YAC. Good initiative, just didn't execute because Minnesota's secondary is too good. Against Detroit that's probably a TD because they have a terrible secondary. (It also wasn't triple covered when he threw it, the DBs just close on the ball really fast on long throws).

Yeah, the INT was a great play by Harris and I feel like if that throw is made to someone like Robinson or Shaheen (someone who isn't 5'9), the odds of it being completed are greater. Either way, that throw has to be perfect for it not to be intercepted.

On the second INT, something happened there. Robinson was contacted early and then never bothered to not only turn around but he also likely didn't finish his route cutting toward the middle of the field.

Whatever. That D is no joke and the Bears are 7-3. f*** it

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

I hope we pick up a legit deep threat this off season or that Miller becomes one. We should NEVER throw deep to Gabriel unless he clearly has his man beat in single cover.

On a side note, do we have any stats of Bears offense in the 4th quarter this season? I think more often than not, we've been playing not to lose than playing to put the other team away, which resulted into quick 3 and outs and more opportunities to the other teams to take shots at our defense. Maybe that's just part of winning football after years of trying to come from behind in the 4th?