Official 2018-19 NFL Thread

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

it is unfair to compare almost any defense to perhaps the most dominant single unit in NFL history. 

I'm honestly praying this team wins the SB so we can stop talking about that fucking team. They were amazing. They were great. They also had a limited 2-3 year run and didn't win nearly enough to keep talking about them 33+ years later.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Can you believe Kyle fucking Fuller has 7 picks?   That is amazing and a testament to how he rebuilt himself from the lowly Fox doghouse

It's incredible but also a testament to the pass rush. Turns out the strength of this secondary is their intelligence and study. They are diagnosing plays early and able to jump the routes because the ball is coming (has to come) after first read.

Last year they'd have to cover and they are less of a downfield jump ball unit.

5 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

The QB play in that game last night was awful.  Those teams are going to have short playoff runs if their QBs play that bad.

? I mean, we have all seen the rams this year. Their qb play is good. Is the takeaway really the Goff played bad and not that the bears defense is good after a game like that?

Their offense averages like 35 points! It's week 14! This isn't a blip.

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

? I mean, we have all seen the rams this year. Their qb play is good. Is the takeaway really the Goff played bad and not that the bears defense is good after a game like that?

Their offense averages like 35 points! It's week 14! This isn't a blip.

In the last three games, Goff has turned the ball over 8 times.  The Bears D is very good, at home they are great, but Goff has has been trending down the last couple of games.

Goff has the benefit of being at home maybe all of the playoffs, but Trubisky is going to have to play on the road and he has to be better.

39 minutes ago, Jenksismyhero said:

Didn't they fight back in both of those games? The defense made timely plays and the offense marched down the field to score TD's when they needed to. How were those loses not "graceful and with style?"

You seem like the type of fan that would still complain about the team not being that good even after winning a championship. Just enjoy the ride! It's been 6 years since they've had an above .500 season. Eight years since the playoffs. 

I was going to say the same thing... They lost on the road to Miami by 3 points (a playoff team, perhaps) and by 3 on the road with a back-up QB to a 5 win team. They didn't look like "absolute horseshit" in either game.

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It was, but if Mitch plays well, there isn't a team the Bears can't beat. And he is capable of playing well. 

For sure, but if you sail three passes for INT on the road in New Orleans or L.A.    You are in big trouble.

5 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

For sure, but if you sail three passes for INT on the road in New Orleans or L.A.    You are in big trouble.

If he plays like he did last night, they aren't going far, that is for sure. But I don't think he will. I don't think he will ever be an MVP candidate, but if he can be slightly above game manager, the Bears are in really great shape. Last night, he basically was Rex Grossman, and the Bears still won. It's a shame they lost some of the games they should have won. If the Bears had home field for the playoffs, I think both the Rams and Saints would be the ones in trouble. 

Edited by Dick Allen

6 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

If he plays like he did last night, they aren't going far, that is for sure. But I don't think he will. I don't think he will ever be an MVP candidate, but if he can be slightly above game manager, the Bears are in really great shape. Last night, he basically was Rex Grossman, and the Bears still won. It's a shame they lost some of the games they should have won. If the Bears had home field for the playoffs, I think both the Rams and Saints would be the ones in trouble. 

Shades of 2005-06. 😃

3 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

I think Vic Fangio is going to get some head coaching looks this year.  I bet the Packers bring him in for an interview. 

The consensus seems to be that he's not "head coaching material" between his age and personality, which is why he hasn't really gotten much of a sniff at a HC job yet.  And the league as a whole cares so much more about offense nowadays.

1 minute ago, LittleHurt05 said:

The consensus seems to be that he's not "head coaching material" between his age and personality, which is why he hasn't really gotten much of a sniff at a HC job yet.  And the league as a whole cares so much more about offense nowadays.

Could be, but I think he is putting together a good enough resume that I think teams at least interview him.   It took Mike Zimmer a while for some of the same reasons and it's work pretty well for him. 

I know people have said that he might not want to be a head coach, but if a team like the Packers come calling with Aaron Rodgers, I bet he would rethink that.

I think bigger issue for Fangio now may not be his age but how teams are going to be targeting offensive coaches. Fangio may come in and bring in a good OC, but these defensive coaches seem so vulnerable to losing staff.

But then again, good coaches put in good systems and promote good talent. He would be good as a veteran team coach, but, he would be bad in a situation like cards this year.

1 minute ago, Tony said:

I think he has some interviews, but as LittleHurt just mentioned, it's not the trend in the NFL right now. 

Hiring a defensive guy as your HC is dangerous. It's always such a threat for your OC to get snatched up if your team has a great season. With the Bears, obviously Nagy isn't going anywhere so that concern isn't really present. 

Plus, I wonder how much Vic really wants to be an HC. He gets paid more than a lot of HC's in the league, has a great defense to work with, and doesn't have to worry about the media and bullshit an HC does...

Well, I think for anyone at that level they may have a nagging "well what would it have been like". He knows even if he fails he will be a DC in a similar circumstance (see Phillips, Lebeau)

It's one thing I would worry about with someone like Fangio, if gets hired and puts someone like Zac Taylor as the OC in Green Bay.  They have one good year on offense and he is going to get a head coaching job the next year. 

Than again there is not a ton of offensive guys available this year.   They are all about a year or two away.  I would be fine with hiring some young, but I think teams are gun shy with it.

As far as not wanting to be a head coach, you win a championship as a head coach and you get all the glory.  It would be hard to pass up that opportunity.

Edited by GoSox05

3 minutes ago, Tony said:

All depends on the man. I think it's probably safe to assume he has HC assperations, but don't know for sure. 

But again, I think guys like Lincoln Riley and DeFilippo (even with a somewhat disappointing year in Minny) get looks ahead of Vic.

I think someone finally grabs Carmichael too. Another round of McDaniels (probably with Jets going after him). Maybe pluck from Kyle Shanahan, embree?

College wise I wonder who else could go. 

10 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I have high standards. Teams have to pass the eye test. Style points matter. To me, a team has to look the part. The Bears are inconsistent. I don't know how you dominate the Rams and look like absolute horseshit vs. the Dolphins and Giants. If you're going to lose, you have to lose gracefully and with style.

Those are unrealistic standards. No one in their right mind would have predicted the Bears to be any where near this dominating coming off a 5 win year with an young QB and an inexperienced new head coach. Hindsight is 20/20.

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

What?  Thats Allen Robinson, dude.

Allen Robinson does not have that skill set. He is a good WR but is not the speed guy to "take the top off the defense" that White was drafted to be.

6 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Allen Robinson does not have that skill set. He is a good WR but is not the speed guy to "take the top off the defense" that White was drafted to be.

White was supposed to be both the go up and get it guy with his size as well as a burner.  Robinson does both, and they have the option of using Gabriel as the burner.

either way, White is a sunk cost.   The wide receivers they have are way better than anything we had

10 minutes ago, bmags said:

I think someone finally grabs Carmichael too. Another round of McDaniels (probably with Jets going after him). Maybe pluck from Kyle Shanahan, embree?

College wise I wonder who else could go. 

Lincoln Riley would get hired in a second if he leaves Oklahoma.  Now that his QB is going to be playing for the Oakland A's, there may be a chance he leaves college football.

He is number one on my list.