Official 2018-19 NFL Thread

8 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

Lincoln Riley would get hired in a second if he leaves Oklahoma.  Now that his QB is going to be playing for the Oakland A's, there may be a chance he leaves college football.

He is number one on my list. 

Yeah Tony mentioned him.

To be honest, I would be shocked if by next year Lincoln Riley isn't the highest paid football coach in football, college or pro. Obviously on a yearly basis, nobody is doing a Gruden.

edit: meaning even if he stays in college. 

52 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

If he plays like he did last night, they aren't going far, that is for sure. But I don't think he will. I don't think he will ever be an MVP candidate, but if he can be slightly above game manager, the Bears are in really great shape. Last night, he basically was Rex Grossman, and the Bears still won. It's a shame they lost some of the games they should have won. If the Bears had home field for the playoffs, I think both the Rams and Saints would be the ones in trouble. 

Unfortunately they won't, and I can't imagine they hold LA or NOLA to 6 points in the their warm cozy home environments, so Mitchell is gonna have to play better if they want to make noise in the playoffs.  

But it is so great to see the defense is good enough to slow down such a high powered offense, no matter where the game was played.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Yeah Tony mentioned him.

To be honest, I would be shocked if by next year Lincoln Riley isn't the highest paid football coach in football, college or pro. Obviously on a yearly basis, nobody is doing a Gruden.

edit: meaning even if he stays in college. 

Oh yeah, whether it's the NFL or CFB, he is going to get a big pay day.

I don't really know if any other college coaches get looks.  Maybe Chris Petersen from Washington. 

You have to wonder if the NFL is still the goal for some coaches, with how short the head coaching life is in the NFL.  Some coaches might like the stability of CFB.

11 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

So this thread is fun lol 

I mean he wanted all those guys, so I don't quite think it was some sort of thing to scam the Bears.

Although, I'm glad they missed on Robinson.

Edited by GoSox05

30 minutes ago, Tony said:

This sort of goes back to the Vic argument. Fangio is so beloved right now and so highly thought of across the NFL. If he takes an HC job with a bad team, and the team stays bad, what does that do for his legacy? Again, I know there is the other side and if he wins, he's a legend, but maybe it's a risk he doesn't want to take. 

If he leaves, he can't take Mack & Hicks with him, so his defense won't be as good, no matter how brilliant his schemes are.

He could go to Green Bay with two first round picks, one being top 15 and 60 million in cap space. 

They don't have Hicks, but they have Kenny Clark.  Not getting another Mack, but they options to add more than one pass rusher.

29 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

I can't see Fangio leaving. I can't remember the last time an old, defensive mind became a HC, unless I'm forgetting someone. The trend is young, offensive guys.

He is turning into Dick LeBeau.  He may go to an HC job and if it doesn't work out he will be hired the next day as a DC.

The Bears have invested so much in that defense that it is an ideal gig.  As long as they are paying him top $$$ he has to like what they are handing him. 

1 hour ago, GoSox05 said:

McKenzie got a raw deal.  If he dosen't get a job as GM, he could end up back in Green Bay.

I wouldn't mind adding him into the Bears front office. He's a good talent evaluator. I presume he goes to Green Bay or Cleveland.  

My big issue last night was the Bears left points on the field last night. I don't think the Rams did.  I think Mitch played worse and it wasn't because of the Rams playing great defense. Not to take anything away from the Rams D, but Mitch's picks were almost all on drives where the Bears were moving the football and where he was missing an open receiver. There is no way to sugarcoat it, he played a lousy football game. I'd say it was his worst game all season, by far.  Hopefully it was a combination of rust, cold, and just coming back from the shoulder, but he just wasn't sharp.  

I've said it before but I think next year will be where he takes another step forward, as he has mechanical stuff he has to clean up, and the game is still slowing down for him. Both of those things matter when it comes to consistently being accurate.  

50 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

I can't see Fangio leaving. I can't remember the last time an old, defensive mind became a HC, unless I'm forgetting someone. The trend is young, offensive guys.

Mike Zimmer was a similar case.

Wade Phillips would be the other person I can think of.

20 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I wouldn't mind adding him into the Bears front office. He's a good talent evaluator. I presume he goes to Green Bay or Cleveland.  

I would think he could get a GM job.  As long as he can convince people he had nothing to do with the Mack trade.

He took a Raiders team that was a complete mess and made them a competitive team.  Gruden ruined it in about 6 months.

16 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

Mike Zimmer was a similar case.

Wade Phillips would be the other person I can think of.

Similar, yes, but Zimmer was 58 and Fangio is already 60.

Obviously Carroll also but that's different circumstances since he CRUSHED it in college.

21 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

My big issue last night was the Bears left points on the field last night. I don't think the Rams did.  I think Mitch played worse and it wasn't because of the Rams playing great defense. Not to take anything away from the Rams D, but Mitch's picks were almost all on drives where the Bears were moving the football and where he was missing an open receiver. There is no way to sugarcoat it, he played a lousy football game. I'd say it was his worst game all season, by far.  Hopefully it was a combination of rust, cold, and just coming back from the shoulder, but he just wasn't sharp.  

I've said it before but I think next year will be where he takes another step forward, as he has mechanical stuff he has to clean up, and the game is still slowing down for him. Both of those things matter when it comes to consistently being accurate.  

They absolutely did, the Bears stopped them within the 10 after the first Mitch interception.  And Fuller intercepted Goff after Mitch's last interception which had them in the red zone(or close to it, can't remember exactly where the return stopped)

1 minute ago, soxfan49 said:

Similar, yes, but Zimmer was 58 and Fangio is already 60.

Obviously Carroll also but that's different circumstances since he CRUSHED it in college.

58 and 60 used to not be that old, but when teams are hiring guys who are 30 years old it makes them seem ancient.

Offensive guy, but Bruce Arians is another guy who got a shot at a later age.

5 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

They absolutely did, the Bears stopped them within the 10 after the first Mitch interception.  And Fuller intercepted Goff after Mitch's last interception which had them in the red zone(or close to it, can't remember exactly where the return stopped)

I meant it in the sense that the Bears big defensive plays, were largely because the Bears made plays, not because the Rams were just terrible.  I never was watching the Rams game going, wow, Goff is terrible and giving the game away, I watched it and thought, wow, the Bears D is freaking everywhere tonight. 

On the flipside, all but the pick at the end of halftime, was completely on Mitch (and while I will give credit to the Rams D for catching the ball...the passes were just awful).  

23 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Yeah, Mitchell was just trash last night.  Luckily it didn't matter cause the defense was so dominant.  

He has inaccurate stretches during games, but he usually snaps out of it.  That didn't happen last night.  Wonder if Nagy noticed that which led to them running the ball more than usual, besides keeping the Rams off the field.

4 hours ago, Jenksismyhero said:

Didn't they fight back in both of those games? The defense made timely plays and the offense marched down the field to score TD's when they needed to. How were those loses not "graceful and with style?"

You seem like the type of fan that would still complain about the team not being that good even after winning a championship. Just enjoy the ride! It's been 6 years since they've had an above .500 season. Eight years since the playoffs. 

Parkman is the type of fan who would rather watch himself play the other team on Madden on Rookie setting and blow every team out 50-0 to get satisfaction from a win. That's what he meant by him "having high standards".

Edited by thxfrthmmrs

27 minutes ago, Tony said:

It would be like watching the Eagles all last season, experiencing them win the Super Bowl and saying "Well, lets see if they can come out strong next year, I'm just starting to believe in them now..." Then, when the Eagles lay an egg this season, he's the first one saying "See, I told you guys, you can't trust them! I was right!" 

Meanwhile, you just missed out in enjoying a Super Bowl season and have 0 to show for it...

"Let's hold our horses until they win back to back Superbowls" 😂

Edited by TheTruth05

37 minutes ago, Tony said:

It would be like watching the Eagles all last season, experiencing them win the Super Bowl and saying "Well, lets see if they can come out strong next year, I'm just starting to believe in them now..." Then, when the Eagles lay an egg this season, he's the first one saying "See, I told you guys, you can't trust them! I was right!" 

Meanwhile, you just missed out in enjoying a Super Bowl season and have 0 to show for it...

Yep, to each their own. Most people don't follow sports because they expect their team to play flawlessly every game, every season. There will be ups and downs throughout your fandom. A few people I know IRL do follow sports religiously so they have something to b**** about, and I do try to avoid debating sports with them IRL.